• Dark Avengers…!

First, here’s a preview of next week’s DARK AVENGERS #187 at CBR. And now-

Many of you have been pinging me on Twitter about the solicit for DA 190 that says it’s the final issue. Because IT IS! It’s no surprise to me, at the time books were being budgeted, this was approved through 190, and I planned for the story to conclude in that issue, so there’s no racing around trying to come up with some way to tie up ends, as you’ll see.

With few exceptions, I am never going to make the end point of a monthly book known in advance. It speeds attrition, and I don’t want to lose readers- why would I? There’s always the chance a title will catch on and start climbing- it doesn’t happen a lot, but it can- and in that event the publisher would usually approve another block of schedule the book can keep going through. This is the way most monthlies work as far as I know, when they aren’t traditional flagship-type books. DA actually lasted longer than I expected a book that’s a ‘dark variant’ on a main book to hang around, regardless of what we’re doing within.

But the positive is that artist Neil Edwards and I did have plenty of time to craft a good sized story that I think has a rewarding payoff. I hope you’ll stick with us to the end and get the closure. Also, I am writing another Marvel book called Red She-Hulk and if you like what I’ve done on this, you will like that one. Thanks for your interest and support!

Comments

Comment from neil edwards
    Time: February 15, 2013, 9:44 am

Love working on DA with jeff and the last few issues are blummin brilliant and fantastic to draw!!!

Comment from Natalie
    Time: February 15, 2013, 9:54 am

A while ago I said I couldn’t in good faith support this book after the loss of my beloved Thunderbolts. However, I did end up picking up the first issue quite by accident… then the next, and the next.

I shall be sorry to see the title go. I fully agree with you on the point that news of a book’s possible cancellation speeds attrition, though I will always be at a loss as to WHY comic fans allow themselves to be herded like sheep when someone whistles the Diamond distribution figures.

Comment from XK
    Time: February 15, 2013, 10:11 am

Red She-Hulk is fantastic, and I heartily recommend it to anyone looking to get their Parker-fix, once Dark Avengers ends.

Comment from GreenScar90
    Time: February 15, 2013, 10:19 am

It’s sad to see this series end. I’ve enjoyed it very much. Always fun and entertaining. I hope that Marvel plans to give you another book.

I’m still hoping that Marvel will allow you to write a Skaar: Son of Hulk ongoing series. Now that I think of it, we need another series focusing on Hercules. And I’d love to see where my other favorite Thunderbolts have gone.

Best of luck, my friend!

And I still plan to continue supporting your Red She-Hulk series! I can only hope that it’ll have a very, very long run. One of my favorite female lead books, right up there with Gail Simones’ Batgirl.

Comment from Rheged
    Time: February 15, 2013, 10:29 am

Sorry to hear this news. I’ve enjoyed your run on Thunderbolts / Dark Avengers. Your name on the book is the only reason I picked up Red She Hulk and Red Hulk — 2 characters I had no interest in previously.

Looking forward to your new titles, either at Marvel or creator owned.

Comment from GK
    Time: February 16, 2013, 7:39 am

I only started reading comics regularly a couple of years ago with a Dark Reign preview (I was immediately sold on Agents of Atlas), and you’ve been my favorite writer since.

While I really enjoyed Hulk for the themes you explored, your run on Thunderbolts was my favorite thing going for years. The story you told in there was more fun, more “epic,” and more emotionally investing than any other superhero comic being published during that time.

So I just wanted to say thank you for telling great stories within the context of a superhero comic. After only three years, I’m beginning to tire of that genre, and losing a team book written by Jeff Parker makes me far less excited about Wednesdays. [And even more pissed at Marvel than I already was.]

Time: February 16, 2013, 8:03 am

Thank you. I have other genres coming up if you’ll keep checking in with me!

Comment from Ross Norris
    Time: February 17, 2013, 1:11 pm

Love this series and am sad to see it go. You should pitch a Silver Surfer book now that Marvel are getting their cosmic line up and running.

But anyways, I have been a fan since Agents of Atlas and will continue to follow your work wherever it takes you.

Comment from Mirko
    Time: February 18, 2013, 5:13 am

silver surfer sounds great. since the lim/Starli n combo nothing drew my attention to the surfer anymore. sad to see DA ending. i came on board with you, now its over. why did you get rid of the previous incarnation? ghost boomerang Hyde and the little crazy girl with the axe where hilarious. last issue of red she hulk was brilliant. I’m reading it out to my older son of three and a half. what i thought was brilliant was how you tied together the connection between betty and tesla/shield. great comic. may it serve as a platform for you taking over an even bigger character!