• Vote It Up!

This nerve-wracking time in the U.S. will be over after tomorrow (at some point, anyway) and I can’t wait. Decades of campaign strategists focusing on hot button divisive issues have polarized our country to a ridiculous degree, and the Electoral College makes people actually think in Red State/Blue State terms, which is patently false.

Still, we’ve seen enough from the presidential candidates to know they have very different approaches. I disagree with you if you’re for the zillionaire who keeps money in the Caymans and says we should take down FEMA in spite of the clear need for government in times of crisis like Hurricane Sandy. But at least you’re not putting forth this one spiel I’m really sick of: “the candidates are the same, I’m not voting for either. That’s buying into a system that blah-blah zozzle grlaowiefjwph-”

Can’t finish this stupid non-argument. Because it’s the kind of thing a teenager says to try and sound wise without having to actually research anyone’s positions. I get that many of you are surrounded by battling family and friends from both sides, and it’s your out from having to pick a side and argue too. But don’t you dare encourage people not to vote and know what policies are at stake, just tell them “don’t want to talk about it” and be involved anyway.

Don’t want us to invade other countries on shaky premises? Want to stop health care charges from continuing up to the point that most people can’t afford to insure their families? Want education taken more seriously? Want women to be able to control their own bodies? Want air and water quality mandated instead of left to whatever your local industry wants to do? Because that’s just some of what you could be deciding instead of trying to suggest the rest of us are ignorant for registering to vote.

And you can decide a whole lot more and proportionately more by voting in your local elections. Presidential elections are good to get people into the process, but they have more power on the state, city and county level, where often major deciders are elected by only dozens of votes.

So even if your pet issue isn’t being addressed by the candidates – let’s be honest, it’s mostly always marijuana- we all have a responsibility to the world and our neighbors to know what’s up and effect what we can, and it’s not the hardest thing to do. You don’t even have to tell anyone how you voted. So please, get out and help shape your country!

Okay, back to pure escapism and bike talk after Tuesday. It’s not like I put you through that often.

Comments

Comment from Michael May
    Time: November 5, 2012, 12:15 pm

Where’s the Like button? I want to press it five zillion times.

Comment from David Oakes
    Time: November 5, 2012, 2:59 pm

I resent your implication that I am a single issue voter.

I want to legalize marijuanna *and* prostitution.

Comment from Costa K.
    Time: November 5, 2012, 5:04 pm

I LOVE YOU JEFF LET’S MAKE OUT FOREVER AND RIDE BIKES INTO THE SUNSET.

Time: November 5, 2012, 5:27 pm

OKAAAYYYY

Time: November 5, 2012, 5:27 pm

David, I forgot you’re in Arizona!

Comment from David Oakes
    Time: November 5, 2012, 9:01 pm

Technically, Arizona has already legalized (medical) marijuanna. But the DEA said “Boo”, and the AG folded, saying you just can’t fight the Feds.

On the other hand, INS says it has a few niggling concerns with SB 1070, and Oh Lord, States Rights this, and F the Feds that!

And don’t even get me started on the Puppy Kicking political ads…

Comment from Mirko
    Time: November 6, 2012, 1:20 am

Weel spoken Mr. Parker!

Americans, the world is watching you!

PS: We (i.e. Germany) do have health care insurance for everybody. And it’s not communism. Just to show you there are probably more issues at stake than mary jane ;-)

Comment from Warren B.
    Time: November 7, 2012, 6:05 am

“Want women to be able to control their own bodies?”

I know it’s daft to pick on this one thing in the middle of (or just after) the whole kerfuffle, and I know it’s not a black and white issue, but… that’s the thing. Do *you*? I’ve seen this repeated a few times, almost word for word, during the campaign. The other statements I agree with, they’re straightforward enough; but this one strikes me as, to borrow a word, ‘polarized’. (I thought of adding ‘to a ridiculous degree’. Still thinking about it) A soundbyte with a certain spin that doesn’t disclose the whole picture.

Basically, I can’t help but wonder (wonder: not dictate or harangue) – who lets the kid decide what to do with their body?

Comment from Warren B.
    Time: November 7, 2012, 6:06 am

Oh, and FYI, sitting on this side of the pond, I’m personally glad Obama got back in.

Comment from David Oakes
    Time: November 7, 2012, 1:28 pm

Adults have a long history of deciding what kids do with their bodies, from forcing them to eat broccolli to toilet training to denying them cigarettes and alcohol. It may be a matter of degree, but it is not one of hypocrisy. (Even among adults there is a grey area in choosing to terminate your own life.)

And – also not intending to harangue – who truly believes that the pre-born, even if they call it a child, is capable of “choosing” anything?