• Advice?

I toyed with the idea of putting an ADVICE section on the site, another place where I could point people instead of writing up the same answers again.

But I could just as well point everyone to Steve Lieber’s advice page on his site, it says most everything I would say. Though I guess I can add some things that pertain more to writing. The chief problem is, few people ever believe me. Like when I tell them not to show Marvel or DC completely done stories with those companies’ characters- they can’t look at it or it puts them in liability situations.

Or when I point out that publishers tend to hire writers and artists from the next size smaller publisher like animals on the food chain. And that this also shows that the creator could meet deadlines and work with others- all very solid, logical stuff. I type up a good paragraph or more, taking time away from my own work and give that back to whoever made the inquiry, and then half the time I don’t get a ‘thanks.’ This is often on Facebook, by the way. Just the silence that says that wasn’t the answer I wanted to hear.

So now I understand why some people stop replying at all. I don’t want to go that way, so maybe I will make a page on here that has all those answers even if it’s unlikely to be believed. Most people don’t like the thought that their questions are typical enough that they can be answered by an FAQ, sure, I don’t care for it either. If anyone has ideas for this kind of thing, I’m all ears…

Comments

Comment from Kip Manley
    Time: February 25, 2012, 8:36 am

So, an FIA page, then? Frequently Ignored Advice?

Comment from Costa Koutsoutis
    Time: February 25, 2012, 8:44 am

I think you should make a page like that, primarily because as an amateur aspiring creator, I find resources like that really helpful.

Comment from Kevin Moore
    Time: February 25, 2012, 8:46 am

Man, if I had known you were open for giving advice, I would have bothered you a long time ago.

I think an advice page FAQ would be helpful to your audience and probably to you, too, for reasons you have indicated above. Keep a link to Lieber’s advice, because I think providing an alternate perspective, however similar, is more, um, rounding.

BTW, if you ever get silence from me, it’s cuz I’m seriously considering what you have said, but I forgot to say thank you, cuz I’m a social retard.

Comment from Erik Burnham
    Time: February 25, 2012, 8:57 am

Like I said on Twitter, and will repeat here, I think I’d like to see an FAQ of your advice… the advice I’ve seen you give tends to be solid, and often falls in line with things I’ve experienced coming up.

People who want to learn from experienced folks will listen to advice, even if it doesn’t apply to them yet. The ones who don’t appreciate it are usually just asking “so, how do I get to do what you do with the LEAST amount of work?”

(I’ve heard a lot of these questions asked of pros at cons. I’m reading between the lines.) (;

I expect you know the last couple of points already.

In any case, back to the point of the FAQ, people who truly want the information aren’t going to care whether the question was asked before, they’re going to care that the answer is available.

It’s my opinion, perhaps I’m wrong.

Either way, thanks for taking the time to share the knowledge.

Time: February 25, 2012, 9:00 am

That may be exactly what I call it!

Comment from Nick
    Time: February 25, 2012, 9:21 am

The thing about thinking few listen is that it might be more than you think. There’s always going to be people who think they know better, but others will want to hear from an expert and learn from them. I may not follow all advice to the letter, some will always be down to the individual, but I take in and appreciate any I get, especially if like in the example above it is telling me that doing something is pointless :)