• THUNDERCAGE

Oh, why can’t we just change the title to that now? Over at CBR you can see some preliminary sketches and hear Kev Walker discuss his thinking on the new cast of THUNDERBOLTS.

Comments

Time: April 13, 2010, 4:31 pm

Good stuff. Can’t wait for your new T-Bolts team.

And what, no new design for Man-Thing? Tsk. :D

Shame the crazy Juggernaut fans are already having a tizzy about you and artist Kev Walker’s comments on both CBR and Newsarama.

Time: April 13, 2010, 5:18 pm

Hey, thanks for interpreting over there. My attempts at humor on antibiotics the other week leave things to be desired!

Time: April 13, 2010, 5:44 pm

I’ve been reading your stuff and your comments here more than enough to know when you’re kidding. I know you know your stuff about Jugernaut. Kev’s comments torqued people off more than yours anyway. Especially the scars thing.

Comment from Cage Fan
    Time: April 13, 2010, 9:32 pm

Wow. I have loved nearly everything you’ve written, at least from Marvel. But, uhh, you guys really don’t understand much about any of the characters you’re going to be writing, do you?

Moonstone is the light and Songbird is the dark? Really? The one who engineered the other woman’s mother’s death is the light? Fantastic.

Time: April 13, 2010, 9:43 pm

Kev is giving artistic impressions there, things that interest him in depicting characters during drawing. No need to prejudge the stories based on it, has nothing to do with the plots or character arcs. Often with art you get good stuff out of considering contrasts.

Comment from Songbird/Diamondback
    Time: April 13, 2010, 10:10 pm

Just please don’t make Songbird evil. :(

Comment from Igniz
    Time: April 14, 2010, 4:30 am

Hi Mr. Parker. I hope you wouldn’t mind my spelling errors because I’m not a native english speaker.

I’m a big Thunderbolts fan since it started and Songbird has been my favorite character for the last years. I’m happy she wasn’t forgotten in this Heroic Age and liked the new costume, except for the hair, but I also think Walker greatly misinterpreted the character (not only her, MACH and Juggernault too).

I’d like to suggest he reads both Thunderbolts issue 63 and the one-shot Breaking Point to see how Songbird really is. I’m not denying the fact she was a villainess first, but now she is really more heroic than most heroes, got through really dire situations, but didn’t gave up. I could understand if she got darker in Dark Reign, but doesn’t make any sense make her take this direction now in Heroic Age. Melissa should be an example of redemption.

And I hope Songbird gains more relevance in Marvel now she appeared both in Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2 and in the Super Hero Squad cartoon, because she has a lot of potential.

Comment from Fell
    Time: April 14, 2010, 7:09 am

I’m liking Mach’s new design. Gives him a sort of heavy metal feel, heh.

Anyway, I think Igniz has pretty much summed up the objections people are having with the Walker stuff. I’m not even a long-time Thunderbolts fan, and I still know he’s pretty much right. Songbird has become a popular character, and it’s pretty much been her gig throughout this rise in popularity that she’s a person desperately trying to do good in a situation where the line between right and wrong has been twisted beyond recognition. It seems a little silly to darken her visual tone for Heroic Age.

Time: April 14, 2010, 7:18 am

C’mon folks, what a person looks like isn’t everything about who they are- when you’re working around prisoners, you tend to want to look tougher! I really appreciate the concern, nonetheless- it’s great to see everyone getting involved with Thunderbolts.

Comment from Songbird/Diamondback
    Time: April 14, 2010, 8:37 am

And we appreciate that you respond to our concerns.
    Thank you.

Comment from Justice, Like Lightning
    Time: April 14, 2010, 6:31 pm

As you can tell, Mr. Walker’s comments upset a community of very passionate Thunderbolts fans!
    Some of us have been around since the beginning of the team (I have a Hulk #449 in my closet to prove it), and are really attached to the old team. We are all quite anxious to see what happens to the team post-Siege. I think the mixture of seeing our old favorites not in the front-line and seeing the redesigns made us panic a little (okay, maybe panic a lot).
    We will continue to keep a close ear for any more Thunderbolts news as the Heroic Age starts up. Best of luck to you!

Time: April 14, 2010, 7:02 pm

I like having the originals in there as an extended cast because we can have a big scope to the Thunderbolts program. I’m betting a lot of anxiety will be relieved when the Enter The Heroic Age one-shot comes out! Just saw colored pages and it’s beautiful.

Comment from Justice, Like Lightning
    Time: April 14, 2010, 7:59 pm

Are you confirming the Thunderbolts as one of the teams featured in the one-shot?
    You might have just bumped it up to a must-read for me.

Time: April 15, 2010, 4:36 am

Well…. judging by the 5 stories and 4 writers and the cover…

Jeff Parker/Gorilla Man – Agents Of Atlas
    Jeff Parker/Luke Cage – Thunderbolts

Then there’s the other creators and characters…..

Jim McCann/Hawkeye & Mockingbird – Hawkeye & Mockingbird
    Christos Gage/Wasp – Avengers Academy
    Kelly Sue DeConnick/Black Widow – Not Sure On This One.

Comment from King Hulk Marco
    Time: April 17, 2010, 9:36 am

Yo Jeff, will you be explaining a long-time Marvel mystery. The connection between the Man-Thing and the Globe? Come on Jeff I have faith in you. Speaking of faith, any chance that Ian Faith will make an appearance in Thunderbolts? Like to see how the team do against a whacked out magician who is almost as powerful as old Doc Strange. Lastly, just finished reading Hulkpool’s adventure in Hulked Out Heroes #1. Not a bad issue. Kudos for the Marvel history lesson. Humour was a bit hit and miss. Tough character to write for considering the different versions that appear in all the monthlies. Good effort though. Question for you, how many comics do you write for on a monthly basis and their titles please. Will try and get as many as possible. Warmest regards.

Comment from King Hulk Marco
    Time: April 17, 2010, 9:46 am

PS What is the official policy on your website for fans submitting suggestions to you? The reason why I ask is that I don’t want to step on anybodies toes and get into any kind of trouble.

Comment from Amy
    Time: April 18, 2010, 3:52 pm

Well…. judging by the 5 stories and 4 writers and the cover…

Jeff Parker/Gorilla Man – Agents Of Atlas
    Jeff Parker/Luke Cage – Thunderbolts

Then there’s the other creators and characters…..

Jim McCann/Hawkeye & Mockingbird – Hawkeye & Mockingbird
    Christos Gage/Wasp – Avengers Academy
    Kelly Sue DeConnick/Black Widow – Not Sure On This One.

Comment from King Hulk Marco
    Time: April 19, 2010, 12:51 pm

Hi Amy, apologies for being a bit dense. Are you saying that Jeff is doing just the Gorilla Man mini, Thunderbolts and the Hulk tie-ins? Is that right?

Comment from King Hulk Marco
    Time: April 19, 2010, 12:55 pm

PS Nice meeting you and the rest of you lovely people. Been reading comics long Amy?

Comment from Aaron
    Time: April 21, 2010, 4:55 pm

I cannot wait for Thunderbolts 144 to arrive, Nagging question though
    who the H.E. double L would pick Crossbones’ name to join the Thunderbolts, (From the interview with CBR it definately was not Luke Cage) & you and Kev made comments about Crossbones getting compared to Lee Harvey Oswald (Bones is getting set up to get taken out ;) ) I mean who would Do such a Bad, Really Low thing like set Crossbones up to get killed (switching his weapons up would do it, also putting a live diamondback rattle snake (the actual reptile) in Bones’ pillow case would do it as well heheheheh ;)

Comment from Aaron
    Time: April 21, 2010, 5:35 pm

I kind of think you and/or Kev Walker were fans of MAD Magazine (well Spy vs. Spy in particular) Re: Kev Walker’s comment on making Moonstone “Light” and Songbird “Dark”, so Songbird and Moonstone look to pick up where they left off in issues 126, and 127 (I do not think you will be making Songbird “evil”) So with Songbird & Moonstone going at each others throats, and potentially Crossbones trying to battle wits with a Diabolical Bushmaster, your run of Thunderbolts looks to be a stew of retribution, and revenge (sorry for the double post, my bad)

Time: April 21, 2010, 11:10 pm

No prob, good to have you Aaron! Crossbones- he sure knows how to make friends.