• UNDERGROUND 5 Out Today!

Sorry the last one took us a little longer, but as you’ll see, the book itself is longer too. I hope you all enjoy the conclusion of Underground, and I suspect there will be some argument over exactly how it ends.

Steve and I are putting together the extras for the trade now, so I hope you’ll consider getting that as well. Input time: if we have a chance to do some “director’s commentary” on scenes explaining our process and thinking, which parts would you like to hear more about?

Comments

Comment from Caroline
    Time: March 3, 2010, 8:48 am

I’m looking forward to seeing this last issue in print, very much!

As far as commentary, this book made me really interested in the logistics of caving (especially since I’m way too claustrophobic to ever attempt it myself) and I’d love to know more about the research you guys did, photoreferences Steve used, et cetera!

Comment from Johanna
    Time: March 3, 2010, 9:02 am

I love hearing more about any “behind the scenes” aspect, but I especially like Steve talking about the different art techniques he uses — he’s so creative to create different pieces of the cave.

Comment from Mark
    Time: March 3, 2010, 9:09 am

My favourite additional commentary would a comment from you saying it’ll be out next week. I’ve missed the individual comics so the sooner the trade drops the better.

Comment from Cole Moore Odell
    Time: March 3, 2010, 9:48 am

Argument over how it ends? for some reason, that makes me think of the twist ending of Lawrence Durrell’s great lost-in-a-cave novel “The Dark Labyrinth”. Can’t wait to read this tonight.

Comment from Mark
    Time: March 3, 2010, 10:06 am

Oh a serious comment: if the ending is deliberately ambiguous, please don’t spoil it by clarifying it in the commentary.

Comment from Michael Hoskin
    Time: March 3, 2010, 12:53 pm

Yeah, I think I see why it might provoke an argument; it is a 180 from how the conflict was set up in #1.

Comment from Al
    Time: March 3, 2010, 11:21 pm

Strong and fairly realistic ending. I LOVED the suspense in this story. Great stuff! As for extras in the trade, I really like commentary and thought processes. Thanks for another great comic, Jeff!

Time: March 4, 2010, 4:49 pm

Thank you!

Comment from Matt Wieringo
    Time: March 8, 2010, 3:50 pm

I’d love to see something about the research process you both underwent for the caving aspects of the story. Are either of you amateur spelunkers? And, as Johanna mentioned above, anything Steve could share about his drawing technique would be great.