• CAGE!!!

At the moment, there is plenty of news of the new direction for THUNDERBOLTS after The Siege is over- you can read me and editor Bill Rosemann talking it up over at NEWSARAMA and COMIC BOOK RESOURCES.

If you have a moment and are so inclined, go click “Recommend” and/or comment to get the word out. The Man-Thing will thank you for it!

Comments

Comment from Radlum
    Time: February 9, 2010, 1:30 pm

Ghost? He’s awesome, I would buy this book mainly for him (and Man-Thing), though I don’t know how Moonstone and Crossbones fit in a team like this. Anyway, as long as Ant-Man doesn’t die during Siege I will keep on reading Thunderbolts.

Time: February 9, 2010, 1:32 pm

I was wondering how T-Bolts was gonna continue on after Siege was over. So it’s cool to see this revamped direction for them.

I’m glad that Ghost is sticking around, he was the only member of the current cast that I liked. And nice to see Jeff possibly working Juggernaut back into a grey character after the huge recton mess was dropped on him to make him EBIL again.

I have to say, the cast is pretty damn good. Though Man-Thing is a serious WTF? choice. Can’t wait for this. Go Jeff!!

Time: February 9, 2010, 1:36 pm

Can’t believe people are already decrying this as “Marvel Hates Black People”. *Rolleyes*

I see it as Luke Cage getting a powerful and well respected position.

He does after all represent the potential of a criminal bettering themselves.

Plus he is still recovering from the massive heart attack and such that he just recently suffered.

Comment from Zajdalen
    Time: February 9, 2010, 1:39 pm

Hi Jeff

It’s great roster that you got there for Thunderbolts. Man I’m so happy for Juggernaut to be there.

I also wanted to personally thank you for your work in Spider-Man 1602. Man that book is awesome. I think you should become regular writer for 1602 Universe and make it big like Ultimate U. It would be great to see another timeline shine just like Ultimate U.

You’re the best Jeff – keep it up and thank you.

Time: February 9, 2010, 1:42 pm

Thank you!

Time: February 9, 2010, 1:42 pm

They are? How? This is essentially Luke getting his own book again!

Time: February 9, 2010, 1:44 pm

Hopefully all the logic of the choices will come clear in our first issue of the new regime, glad to hear you’re on board. Moonstone and Crossbones may be their own duo called ” ‘Stone and ‘Bones!”

Comment from Ben Herman
    Time: February 9, 2010, 1:45 pm

Crossbones? Crossbones?!?!? Okay, I really wonder how that’s going to work, considering the guy is an irredeemable sadistic sociopath. But, as someone who has been a fan of Captain America for over twenty years, I am excited to see the Red Skull’s former right hand man appearing in this series. Can’t imagine how easy it’s going to be for Cage to get Brock Rumlow to follow orders. As a long-time employee of an arch-Nazi supervillain, I imagine that Bones isn’t going to be thrilled to have to follow the orders of a black man. Should be interesting.

Juggernaut, though, is a perfect T-bolts candidate, since he has not really been an out-and-out villain in nearly a decade. He’s kinda sorta half reformed already, and just has a really bad reputation to live down.

But I cannot wait to see Luke Cage lead his own team. Yep, I am definitely going to be getting this series. I’m really looking forward to it, Jeff. Good luck!

Comment from Terren
    Time: February 9, 2010, 2:17 pm

I will really miss O’Grady. Loved Ant-Man’s character in the T-Bolts series. Beside that I look forward for the new team. Let it rock Jeff!

Time: February 9, 2010, 3:02 pm

One of the Agents of Atlas should help Cage keep these guys in line.

Gorilla Man maybe. :D

Comment from Al
    Time: February 9, 2010, 3:48 pm

I was sold as soon as I heard that Jeff Parker was writing it! I really don’t like Moonstone, so I hope you put her through the wringer.

Comment from JM Stump
    Time: February 9, 2010, 6:27 pm

I will admit I scanned over this till I hit both Jaggernaut and Crossbones. Those two characters have me seriously wanting to check this book out. Congratulations on getting T-Bolts Jeff.

I’m still sad about what happened with Exiles. You can bet I’ll be picking this up in support!

Time: February 9, 2010, 8:45 pm

Thanks, I think you’ll like what we have around the corner!

Comment from Butch
    Time: February 9, 2010, 9:02 pm

Thinking about it… thinking about it…!

Man-Thing as a member is such an inspired choice. Can’t wait to see who else shows up to the party.

Time: February 9, 2010, 9:21 pm

Come for the Man-Thing, stay for Ghost screwing with Juggernaut!

Time: February 9, 2010, 11:14 pm

So Jeff…

Are you gonna go back to the more grey version of Juggernaut?

I really hated the Frank Tieri retcon that turned him into a mass murderer. So I don’t mind getting rid of that part. Cause really, I think Juggy on the road to redemption was great. He was finally a 3-D character instead of a one-dimensional snooze.

Time: February 9, 2010, 11:46 pm

Also if I may make a cast suggestion..

Hank McCoy aka Dark Beast aka Doc. :D

You need a medical guy on the team. And well, Doc has tried the whole reformation route before. He just gets bored and then reverts to type. Plus he should be available as long as he survives Dark X-Men.

Time: February 9, 2010, 11:58 pm

I… am not at liberty to comment on these statements, Beast!

Time: February 10, 2010, 12:10 am

Bah. You’re no fun. :D

Comment from Nod Nolan
    Time: February 10, 2010, 12:44 pm

Juggernaut was a Mass Murderer? I always thought he had some fantastic moments in All New Exiles #1-#5 especially with his relationship with Amber Hunt…. but I suppose all that Ultraverse Stuff is still off limits.

Time: February 10, 2010, 1:20 pm

Yeah. Frank Tieri hated that Juggernaut had grown into a three dimensional character who was trying to repent for his past deeds. So decided to try to make him outright unreedeemable. Even though he’s been moving towards that path since Onslaught. His appearances outside the X-Books always made Cain more destructive and heartless. So I’m sure people did get hurt or killed by him, just like with Hulk.

But Frank Tieri, when doing fill-in work for Claremont on New Exclaibur did a story that retconed Cain’s original transformation into Juggernaut. So that after he dug himself out of the cave in, he murdered in cold blood an entire village of men, women, and children. This of course was under the influence of Chattorak, but it was still craptastic.

Comment from Drew
    Time: February 10, 2010, 9:32 pm

Wow, I must have blocked that Tieri Juggernaut story from my memory! Thanks for reminding me, Beast! ;)

Mr. Parker, I’m trusting you to finally reconcile all of the disparate portrayals Juggernaut has had over recent years! (I would direct you to Fabian Nicieza’s excellent portrayal of the character in the original X-Men Forever miniseries.) Don’t let me down, now!

Comment from Drew
    Time: February 10, 2010, 9:51 pm

PS: I’m still waiting for Swordsman . . . :P

Comment from Aaron
    Time: February 13, 2010, 5:13 pm

Okay Crossbones on a team that does Suicide runs for Redemption, only someone who really really hates Crossbones would do a thing like that (And Steve Rogers does not have a vindictive bone in his body, but someone who used to be near & dear to him might though (And a series with this character is ending after Siege) ) Which could probably mean Juggernaut, Man Thing, and Luke Cage may not be the only new bodies in Thunderbolts, Hey only a “cold blooded snake” would put Crossbones on a team that goes on suicide runs for Uncle Sam, no way it couldn’t be, could it?

Comment from Jonathan Conrad
    Time: February 15, 2010, 9:53 am

Jeff, I am really looking forward to this new team. And I believe I already have your first Mega Event for ya! Man-Thing vs. The Glob REMATCH!

Comment from cozborn
    Time: February 16, 2010, 3:05 pm

Eric O’Grady gone! sad face

Time: February 16, 2010, 5:01 pm

Eric O’Grady gone. Happy dance!

Hate that character. So I’m happy to not have to read him. :D

Comment from Aaron
    Time: February 19, 2010, 6:03 pm

Mr.Parker this line up looks amazing, (Man Thing, Juggernaut, Ghost, Moonstone, Crossbones (people are asking the wrong W question here, it should be Who TF put Crossbones on the Thunderbolts?) A very solid put the “fun” in dysfunctional team. a couple questions
    1) will Songbird and other Thunderbolts past be a fixture in the Future of the Thunderbolts?
    2) will The Thunderbolts tower be idle for the first arc, or will it be inhabited by the people mentioned in question 1 ?
    3) (loaded question) Because Crossbones is in Thunderbolts going to be in the Thunderbolts, will we see a certain “Cold blooded snake” (or more likely a snake themed character with boiling blood no naming names ;) ) that would love more than anything to put the screws to Mr.Bones? thank you for taking the time to respond if you do, it’s appreciated greatly.

Time: February 22, 2010, 6:09 pm

Hey Jeff….

Any chance you’ll finally be the writer to give Ghost an actual origin?

He seems to be the villain with the biggest hole in regard to a backstory.

Time: February 22, 2010, 6:45 pm

I’ve discussed it- it is something I’m interested in a lot, but I’ve also weighed the dilemma of if he’s better as a mystery character. Some like Boba Fett or Wolverine I think work better with ambiguity built in. But Ghost may not necessarily need that much. In short, yeah, I’ve been considering it!

Time: February 22, 2010, 7:11 pm

I can understand that. Of course, I never understood the Boba Fett thing anyway. ;)

As for Ghost… he’s the only member from the current cast that I like. So I appreciate that you’re keeping him. Just can’t wait to see these people interacting. It’s gonna be crazy.

And yeah, I just think Ghost is a fairly interesting baddy. We know he’s basically Tony Stark, given what little we know of him. But a Tony Stark who’s gone all Unibomber on Technology. :D

Comment from David
    Time: March 14, 2010, 3:18 pm

The Juggernaut has always been a murderer. He was introduced trying to murder Charles Xavier afterall. He’s been a murder ever since so far as I know. Right before joining the X-men he got into a fight with Thor and killed many people just for being in his way. How do you go from that one day, to being a hero with all your crimes suddenly forgiven the next? That never made sense to me. But they’ve really been exploring the character over the last few years since. X-Men Legacy #219 in particular might be the best, deepest introspection we’ve ever seen from the Juggernaut.

I’m looking forward to this for Juggernaut and Crossbones. They should get along well together. They’re both hardcore villains and they both worked for Red Skull, so they have a built-in conversation starter. ;-) Jeff, would it be too spoilerish to ask if your use of Juggernaut will tie-in from his upcoming Spider-Man story arc?

Comment from Justice, Like Lightning
    Time: April 29, 2010, 8:30 am

Just finished reading Thunderbolts #143, I can’t wait until #144!
    You think we’ll see Headsman’s brother running around in the future?