• ATLAS ATTACKS

You can see a preview here at Comics Bulletin as the Agents of Atlas get back into it with The Avengers, and then the ORIGINAL Avengers. And today also has the conclusion to the THUNDERBOLTS hit on them, where I just bet you, SOMEONE DIES.

Also out today: SPIDER-MAN 1602! I know there’s a preview of that somewhere, I’ll try to put it up later.

Comments

Comment from Wndola
    Time: January 20, 2010, 11:21 am

don’t forget Hercules

Time: January 20, 2010, 1:57 pm

Great trio of Jeff Parker awesomeness today.

Avengers Vs. Agents #1: Loved the mention of the “Teen Brigade” and seeing classic baddies like the Lava Men and the Growing Man. Glad that the cat is out of the bag regarding the Agents to the New Avengers now. And thanks for the Classic Luke Cage. Not sure what is going on yet, but it was a damn fine issue. Can’t wait for the next chapter.

Thunderbolts #140: Hell of an issue. Loved seeing a new take on Venus’ powers. And damn, was a bit shocked to see Ken trying to bite open the back of Scourge’s head. Still don’t like most of the T-Bolts characters, but that’s just because I don’t really know them that well. Ghost is cool though, but I loathe Ant-Man. Was a bit shocked at the death, but it really was the only person who made sense to bite the bullet. No spoilers here.

Incredible Herc #140: I really wish the Agents story would have been a pair of one-shots like the X-Men ones. The back-up story ends far too quickly every issue. That said, I really like where things are going. Still weird to see Ken running around naked. But then he suddenly has clothes on again a few panels later. Can’t wait to see what happens with the cliffhanger. Glad we’ll get Agents back-ups in the Fall of Hercules issues as well. Just wish it was all a pair of tie-in issues instead.

Comment from butch
    Time: January 20, 2010, 5:14 pm

Tbolts must be weird to write. Usually when you have guest stars they’ll end up getting the upper hand on the main character/s going into the cliffhanger. Not so in this case. It felt very much like an AoA book.

Although I loved the descriptions Jeff did through Grizzly in TBolts # 139– very Planetary-like. Especially the one on Bob. “You almost never see him.”

Sepulveda’s art is inconsistent though. He’ll follow a great panel with an okay one. And the background work is kinda… uhm, I mean c’mon, compared to Pagulayan and Hardman…? He draws a really sweet Ken Hale though!

Time: January 20, 2010, 6:08 pm

Well, it is the T-Bolts. They’re supposed to lose. Especially as we’re moving towards the end of Dark Reign here. Everything Norman’s built will probably collapse. I wonder if Jeff will change the entire line-up and direction of the T-Bolts after Siege is over. And just who’ll be involve afterwards.

Time: January 20, 2010, 6:43 pm

Thanks Beast!

Time: January 20, 2010, 6:44 pm

You must have only read the first part so far!

Comment from Al
    Time: January 20, 2010, 7:36 pm

Oh man, I really felt for (CHARACTER THAT DIED). That flashback, that bonding with (CHARACTER THAT LIVED). I REALLY didn’t think I’d care if he died, but you really made me care about him. Well done!

Spider-Man 1602 is FANTASTIC as per usual!

My LCS didn’t get the Avengers/Atlas mini, and I’m pretty peeved about this. Gonna have to reorder it for me.

Time: January 20, 2010, 7:43 pm

Yeah, but (CHARACTER THAT DIED) kinda knew his time was up. When you live by the (WEAPON THAT KILLS), you die by the (WEAPON THAT KILLS)!

Comment from Brian
    Time: January 20, 2010, 8:10 pm

With all the Atlas books that came out today, it got me thinking about all the books that they have guest starred in & if all of them exist in the same continuity. I’m thinking that not all do.

In my mind there are 2 or maybe 4 different versions of the ’50′s era Agents. There is:
    1. The version shown in What If #9 (vol. 1)
    2. The version shown in Avengers Forever which could have been the previous version or not.
    3. The version shown in Paradise X: Heralds #3 but as with AF this could have been the version from What If or yet another version.
    4. of course there is one’s shown in flashbacks from the AoA mini-series & on going series.

The next version is more speculation since Ken Hale (Gorilla Man) showed up in X-Men First Class Issue #8 alone. I’m thinking that the rest of the team might also have existed here, too.

Then there comes the version of the Agents from Giant-Size Marvel Adventures Avengers #1.

Lastly, there is the version from the mini-series & on going series who have also shown up in 2 issues of Thunderbolts, 4 issues of Incredible Hercules, a Secret Invasion one shot, 2 Dark Reign one shots, Spider-Man Family #4 & 2 Vs. mini-series (Vs. X-Men & Vs. Avengers).

But Jeff: nice work as always. I shall continue to read the exploits of the Agents if you keep producing them!

Time: January 20, 2010, 8:34 pm

Brian, the only Agents stories I’ve written that don’t exist in current continuity are the Spider-Man Family story and the Marvel Adventures Avengers story.

Time: January 21, 2010, 9:43 am

Yeah, not sure what the confusion is. The continuity makes perfect sense. Hell, for the most part there’s a progression to the story pretty obviously. Especially with Agents of Atlas 2. We had the Series. Then the 2-Part X-Men story, with the Agents stealing Cerebro to locate Venus. Which leads right into Venus being a captive of Aphrodite in Incredible Hercules. And then assume that the T-Bolts storys take place either before or after IH wraps up. I’m sure Jeff knows exactly win.

Just an FYI Brian, the What If?, Paradise X, and Avengers Forever appearances are alternate reality versions of the team. Especially considering the Avengers Forever versions were destroyed when their Reality was destroyed.

By the way, there’s nothing that really indicates that the Atlas story in Spider-Man Family couldn’t have taken place. Maybe Peter just doesn’t remember the event, due to One More Day.

Comment from yeahaw
    Time: January 21, 2010, 2:19 pm

Hey, Hardman is the best! Keep him! also: Breitweise is the better inker- her colors are really athmospheric and shine. Keep her, too! With Mr. Parker on board: perfect book!

YeaHaw!

Comment from yeahaw
    Time: January 22, 2010, 8:32 am

sorry, i meant better colorist, of course… anyway, keep her!
    Best wishes and lots of success for AoA in the future!

Comment from Link
    Time: January 25, 2010, 1:44 pm

Jeff,

I co-host (along with 2 other guys) an anime and comic podcast on a little slice of the web known as “TheGameHeroes”. I was just curious what the best way to contact you about an interview opportunity for our show (which is recorded via Skype.) We’d love to pick your noodle if you’d permit.

Apologies for resorting to posting this on your blog, but I was having a terrible time finding an e-mail address. You can contact me at “thescarletorder at gmail dot com”.

Thanks for your consideration,

- Link

Time: January 25, 2010, 2:29 pm

Link, my email is on here somewhere, but it’s incredibly hard to find. But you can email me at octopus@parkerspace.com . I’m a little maxed out on doing podcasts right now, but I might be up for it in the Spring!

Comment from Brian M.
    Time: January 30, 2010, 7:33 am

Hardman drawing the classic Avengers is a match made in heaven.

Thank you Mr. Parker for writing them into the story.

Time: January 30, 2010, 8:27 am

It is, isn’t it? It’s yet ANOTHER THING Gabe is good at. And of course, he’ll be selling pages, I assume…

Comment from Butch
    Time: February 7, 2010, 9:11 am

And what fine pages they are!

Skimming through Uranian # 1 was hit and miss for me (didn’t think the art worked for the story at all))… but right now I just finished reading AoA/Avengers # 1 and am about to get started on Herc # 140. Good times. =)

I’m feeling Beast’s explanation for the Spider-Man Family story.