• All Hail BOILERPLATE

bp.motorcar

My pal and studiomate Paul Guinan is debuting his massive coffee table book BOILERPLATE: HISTORY’S MECHANICAL MARVEL this week! I even did a little fake movie poster in there- Detailing the true history of the steam powered robot. If you’re in the Portland area, there’s two events to attend the rest of the week…

October 1, 6:00–9:00 pm
    First Thursday reception
    PCPA ArtBar, 1111 SW Broadway (at Main St.)

Through the month of November, artwork from Boilerplate is on public display in the Portland Center for the Performing Arts ArtBar. The October 1st reception will feature a book signing, hors d’oeuvres, and libations.

October 2, 7:30 pm
    Boilerplate reading and signing
    Powell’s City of Books, 1005 W Burnside

THE Powell’s block-size bookstore, largest in the nation! A reading that will include letters from Boilerplate’s inventor and historical images of the robot. A life-sized Boilerplate image, suitable for photographic opportunities, will also be present.

I’ll be heading to both if possible, hope to see some of you there!

Comments

Comment from Paul Guinan
    Time: September 30, 2009, 5:29 pm

Thanks for the shout out, pal-mate!
    Jeff did the Boilerplate meets Pancho movie poster on p.140. Hey, did I just reveal the robot didn’t really exist in history? Oops, pay no attention to the man behind the curtain…!

Time: September 30, 2009, 7:28 pm

Boilerplate is clearly M-11′s grandpa. :D

Time: September 30, 2009, 7:30 pm

Ha! I finally picked up a copy of Shroud of the Thwacker from the discount bin yesterday. Hope Paul gets some trickle-down settlement pennies from that.

I’ll also be taking a look at this one next time the paycheck isn’t spent before the ink is dry.

Comment from Jeff Vice
    Time: October 1, 2009, 8:55 am

My friends and I met Paul this year at Comic-Con and got to see some of the book previews for “Boiler Plate.” It was REALLY awesome stuff, and he is seriously one of the nicest guys in the industry. (Also got a signed copy, with a cool Boiler Plate sketch, of the crossover with Heartbreakers!)