• I’m Back from Florida, We Have a Winner

First I want to thank my gracious host while I was in Orlando, Casey Jones and his superfamily. I got plenty of sleep, entertainment and Chik-Fil-A (except on Sunday) during my Florida trip this weekend. Carolla podcasts got listened to, and Flight of the Conchords songs were played. It was good times all around.

And virtual terrorfist-bumps to Tabitha and the gang who volunteer for The Hero Initiative in Orlando! We all hibernated together as the vent blew freezing air directly down on our table corner. I thawed out just enough to speak to Justin Pegg for a podcast that will be available later this week. We lured in many passers-by with character sketches and spread the message of the Initiative, and got some nice donations. Maybe even better, a fair amount of people offered to become volunteers.

My online presence was spotty, but I peeked in long enough to see that the winner of the Exiles stack of trades was in fact…

TRINITY! Congrats, man. You hit the right notes from the very beginning like naming your post Jeff Parker is the Greatest Writer in the World. And because it does seem odd to send you a bunch of work that people other than myself did, I’m including the latest hardbound collection of AGENTS OF ATLAS! I just need you to send me a mailing address and the name you want this signed to at octopus@parkerspace.com . Thanks to all of the people who participated- this made me think seriously about getting an actual publicist.

I may do some wacky give away of the Atlas trade on Twitter soon, so if you aren’t following me on there, you might want to start…

Comments

Comment from Trinity
    Time: August 25, 2009, 6:13 pm

Holy Shnikes. I can’t believe it. This is the 15th greatest day of my life. Thanks so much.

Time: August 26, 2009, 6:06 am

Congrats, Trinity!

Comment from Craig
    Time: August 26, 2009, 1:32 pm

It was great seeing you again. Really like the sketches that you and Casey did for me. Come back next year and we’ll do it again!

Comment from butch
    Time: August 26, 2009, 4:34 pm

Congratulations Trinity!!!

I thought Carolla stopped doing podcasts? Or was that radio?

Time: August 26, 2009, 4:50 pm

No radio show, but he’s podcasting like crazy, go to itunes or adamcarolla.com . They’re much better than the radio show, except for Loveline of course.

Comment from Drew
    Time: August 27, 2009, 8:45 am

Congrats, Trinity!

Sounds like you had a fun trip, Mr. Parker—glad to hear it! And helping out the Hero Initiative NEVER hurts. Now when are you coming to Utah? :)

Time: August 27, 2009, 9:01 am

I’ve talked a little with Dr. Volts about coming out…

Comment from Drew
    Time: August 27, 2009, 10:00 am

Cool—I’ve never checked out any of the stores in Salt Lake City, but a visit from you would give me a good reason to. If that ever happens and you’re in Utah for more than a day, we’d love to have you stop by Dragon’s Keep in Provo as well. (Just let me know and I can talk to the owners.)

And I forgot to ask—have you done any comics work for the Hero Initiative? I try to support their stuff as much as I can, so anything with your name on it from them needs to be on my bookshelf!

Time: August 27, 2009, 11:02 am

Drew, The Hero Initiative with Marvel got several artists to finish the What If story Mike Wieringo and I were working on when he died, and I believe they still have copies of that.

Comment from Jeff Vice
    Time: August 27, 2009, 11:11 am

Drew:

Dr. Volts is definitely worth checking out. And I’m definitely trying to get Dave Landa there to confirm the possible September signing … and possibly get Jeff to do at least an interview (if not an episode with us) of the Geek Show Podcast. We’re always shilling Jeff’s stuff on the podcast … especially Agents and Mysterius! :)

Comment from Jeff Vice
    Time: August 27, 2009, 11:13 am

Also … Jeff, who would I talk to at Hero Initiative about a charitable case in my neck of the woods? Jake Black (TV writer, and freelancer for DC and Marvel) is struggling to pay bills for cancer treatment. Dragon’s Keep in Provo is doing a fund-raiser for him, as are the Ninja Turtles comics folks.

Time: August 27, 2009, 11:53 am

I believe they have a contact on the hero initiative website where you can write about specific cases like that- I think!

Comment from Drew
    Time: August 27, 2009, 3:21 pm

Okay, one of you guys should change your first name! ;)

Mr. Parker:

Wow, I somehow totally forgot that you did that What If issue with Mike and the Hero Initiative! I loved it and kept reordering copies for the shelf for a couple months, and it kept selling, which made me happy.

Thanks for the info about contacting the Hero Initiative. I found this contact page on their Web site, so I’ll pass it on to the guy in charge of publicizing the benefit for Jake at Dragon’s Keep:

Mr. Vice:

Thanks for the info on Dr. Volt’s, as well as for helping Jake Black out! And I may have to check out the Geek Show Podcast—even if people on the forums seem to love badmouthing the Keep . . .

Comment from Jeff Vice
    Time: August 28, 2009, 8:28 am

Drew: Any comments on the Geek Show Forums definitely do NOT reflect the views of the panelists (though when I’m on there, I try to keep such bad-mouthing to a minimum). Does that mean you have a username on the forums?

And to More-Famous Jeff: I’ll definitely check out Hero Initiative’s Web site. We’re trying to do what we can to help out Jake, who’s a really nice guy.

Comment from Drew
    Time: September 15, 2009, 7:06 am

Famous Jeff: Hey, I hear you’ll be at Dr. Volt’s on the 26th! Cool, glad to hear it!

Geek Show Jeff: Sorry, I forgot to respond to your question. No, I’ve pretty much only lurked on the Geek Show Forums—I always seem to arrive to late to defend Dragon’s Keep, though. Oh well. I’m glad to hear that you guys don’t agree with all of the Keep badmouthers. Did you make it to the benefit event for Jake?

Time: September 15, 2009, 7:17 am

Man, Salt Lake City better not erupt in Dr. Volts/Dragon’s Keep gang war while I’m there. It’s going to, isn’t it.

Comment from Drew
    Time: September 16, 2009, 6:41 am

Ha! No, you shouldn’t have to worry about any animosity between stores or anything. I’ve never been to Dr. Volt’s before (or any of the Salt Lake stores, for that matter) and don’t have anything against them, and I don’t even know if it’s Dr. Volt’s customers who don’t like the Keep. There are just some people on the Geek Show Forums who seem to enjoy badmouthing the Keep whenever they get a chance. Who knows where (or if!) they buy their comics . . .

(Oh, and please excuse my “to” for “too” earlier in this thread—I hate when others do it, and then I do it myself when I’m in a rush. Oops.)