• It’s Been Two Years

tellos

It’s hard to believe Mike Wieringo has been gone so long. Still rarely a week goes by that I don’t hear of something funny or remember a goofy quote and feel the impulse to call Mike or fill up his inbox with my babble. Think I’ll look through some of his old books today and remember.

Comments

Comment from chukw
    Time: August 12, 2009, 7:24 am

Comment from Cully Hamner
    Time: August 12, 2009, 8:10 am

You and me both, brother, on all of the above. :)

Comment from tomg
    Time: August 12, 2009, 9:26 am

Hey,
    I didn’t realize it had been 2 years. He lived near me and I think of him every time I drive past his street. I remember him being so open to newbies and wannabes (which I was). I would always provide me with pages to practice coloring and advice afterward. I’m going to reread some Tellos and Flash.

Comment from Matt Wieringo
    Time: August 12, 2009, 9:41 am

Ditto.

Comment from Skipper Pickle
    Time: August 12, 2009, 9:55 am

Two years? Really?

*sigh*

Time to read Tellos again.

Comment from Zailo
    Time: August 12, 2009, 10:52 am

Two years. Yeah.
    I’m at a loss for words.

Time: August 12, 2009, 12:18 pm

Really hard to believe it’s been 2 years….

Especially since it feels like just yesterday I read the Spider-Man/Fantastic Four book with Impossible Man you two did together. I should hunt it out of my long boxes and give it a re-read.

Comment from Jeff Vice
    Time: August 13, 2009, 9:25 am

I wish the assorted comics companies would release “definitive” volumes of some of his best work. For example, Marvel is ridiculously behind with his Fantastic Four and Spider-Man issues … yeesh!

Still missed. In fact, missed even more so now … :(

Time: August 15, 2009, 12:44 pm

Still sad about this. It doesn’t seem like two years.

Comment from butch
    Time: August 15, 2009, 6:32 pm

Wow, time flies. I’m sure he’s happy knowing he’s going to be remembered forever.

Comment from Jeff Cannell
    Time: August 15, 2009, 7:02 pm

a perfect body of work.

Loved his take on the Looter aka “the meteor man”

Would love to know the true nature of his meteor.

As far as I’m concerned that is the ultimate plot dangler.

I can’t imagine how much his personal friends must miss him.

Comment from Drew
    Time: October 16, 2009, 3:51 pm

Hey, Jeff, I just wanted to thank you for posting this, even though it was a couple months ago.

Believe it or not, I had never read Tellos before (though I very much enjoyed Mike’s Fantastic Four and Spider-Man work—including the FF/Spidey book that I totally forgot you wrote, sorry), but your post inspired me to reserve it at the local library.

Well, I reserved it, and it sat in my room for a while before I let one of the many coworkers I lend comics to borrow it. He came back the next day and told me that it was the best book I’d ever brought him and that I needed to read it, going on and on about how beautiful everything about the book was—the art, the color, the story, the ending, etc. So I read it. And loved it. And even my wife complimented the artwork.

So I just wanted to thank you for introducing me to the world of Tellos. And one of these days I’ll have to pick up my own copy of the Tellos Colossal hardcover . . .

Time: October 16, 2009, 3:58 pm

At the risk of sounding like a commercial “If you liked Tellos, you may also like…” but really, you should read more Todd Dezago work like the series PERHAPANAUTS that he and Craig Rousseau do through Image, it’s great! But I’m glad you enjoyed Tellos so much, Mike and Todd poured a lot into it.

Comment from Drew
    Time: October 17, 2009, 3:54 pm

Thanks for the info. I’ve actually thought about picking up Perhapanauts once or twice—in fact, I think I have a Perhapanauts story that I’ve never read in some kind of Image anthology somewhere . . .