• I Have My Greedy Paws on THUNDERBOLTS

people get shot in the face a lot in this book

News just out of Chicago, I’m now the writer on Thunderbolts! I talk to Steve Ekstrom at Newsarama a bit more in depth about it. Apologies for caginess to follow…

Comments

Comment from mark coale
    Time: August 8, 2009, 3:21 pm

Sad to see the “loss” of Atlas. I guess this will finally be the impetus to start buying Herc.

Comment from jack marlowe
    Time: August 8, 2009, 3:32 pm

I am a big fan of Busiek-Nicieza Thunderbolts. The Ellis numbers are descompresive storytelling wiht characters that don´t recognize for the fans (Songbird, Strucker, Moonstone).
    Cristhos Gage good story with specials and Diggle return old characters.

I think that you will create a good comic with more solid story and respect with the past.

In Spain now start the Diggle numbers. Songbird is cool.

Comment from Joshua Long
    Time: August 8, 2009, 11:31 pm

Do you know when you’ll be able to announce what artist (or artists) you will be working on with your run?

And what was meant by Agents of Atlas being relaunched? Is it getting a new number one, new direction, new creative team? Or is it simply returning to print? I’m loving the current run!! And why no more Pagulayan or Hardman? I LOVE their art!!

Time: August 8, 2009, 11:51 pm

Miguel Sepulveda will stay on as TBolt artist!

Marvel is trying to capitalize on all the acclaim of Atlas (like you’re supposed to!) and we’ll be bouncing around doing some specials for a bit, things to attract new readers, and then starting in on Volume 3. I think part of it is to let people know that they can hop on, won’t have to know anything about Dark Reign, stuff like that. There will essentially be regular Atlas material, but for a few months you might want to check in here and make sure you know where it will be. And you’ll still be seeing Pagulayan and Hardman- we all share your love of their art. Thanks for checking in, Joshua!

Comment from Martin T
    Time: August 9, 2009, 12:41 am

Well, that’s pretty big news! Congrats.

I never did get round to reading Thunderbolts, I always planned to pick up the trades but never got round to it. I’m not sure this book would make much sense to me if I dived in now, but good luck anyway!

Comment from yeahaw
    Time: August 9, 2009, 12:56 am

Interesting approach with the relaunching of AoA. Sounds good- as long as we get our monthly dose of the agents.

Comment from G. Bob
    Time: August 9, 2009, 5:06 am

Well, I’m sure it’ll be great, but I have to admit I felt a tad worried when I heard the words “relaunch”. Seeing as how the titles I like tend to get canceled (I am a curse upon comic books), *any* news makes me nervous.

Time: August 9, 2009, 8:45 am

So YOU’RE the one!

Comment from Chris McAree
    Time: August 9, 2009, 11:40 am

Hey Jeff. Just wanted to drop a line and say that Agents of Atlas is one of my favourite reads each and every month. Also, and I understand if you don’t want to answer this yet, I was wondering if you have any kind of overarching theme in mind for the series? Like the unmasking of Daredevil during the Bendis run, or the Ezekiel story-line that JMS had on the first half of his Spidey run.

Comment from Wicked Juan
    Time: August 9, 2009, 11:46 am

You have no idea how happy this makes me.

Time: August 9, 2009, 12:01 pm

Agents of Atlas is one of the best books on the market. So hopefully whatever you have to do to get more readers on board will work. I am a bit disappointed that the back-ups will be in Incredible Hercules, and not a book I actually read. Mrph.

As for T-Bolts, I’m hesitant to jump on board. It’s never a book I’ve really followed, written by a writer who so far can do no wrong. So I’m not sure what to think in this case. I guess I’ll just wait and see. Good luck Jeff!!

Comment from Hi
    Time: August 9, 2009, 4:15 pm

“Marvel is trying to capitalize on all the acclaim of Atlas (like you’re supposed to!) and we’ll be bouncing around doing some specials for a bit, things to attract new readers, and then starting in on Volume 3. I think part of it is to let people know that they can hop on, won’t have to know anything about Dark Reign, stuff like that. There will essentially be regular Atlas material,”-Parker

….yeeeah…that never works. Literally, I have never seen that work. Wolverine, Spider-Man, they work. They work so well they can just do a Crusty the Clown style phone in and they’ll get those sales. But they need to be an official part of the team. They reeeally do.

This thing where you try to spread the word that the book contains high quality writing is made of fail because not enough people care about high quality writing.

The campaign could be completely successful at getting huge numbers of people to be abstractly aware that Agents of Atlas is an extremely high quality book, and it wouldn’t affect sales in the slightest. People will acknowledge that the book is extremely well written, note that there is no Wolverine or Spider-Man presence on a routine basis, and then go spend their money on that new series, “The Slashtacular Wolverine”, written and drawn by Rob Liefeld while stoned on angel-dust.

Add Wolverine and Spider-Man to the team. Remember, no has ever died from an amputated soul. A soulectomy has an absolute zero fatality percentage. Even routine surgeries like liposuction and dentistry can not make that claim.

Comment from Trevor
    Time: August 9, 2009, 4:50 pm

Please Please dear god tell me your still going to do Agents of Atlas! Tell me the rumors aren’t true!! Agents of Atlas is one of the very few books Marvel has going right now, it cant go! It’ll be a real shame to see it discontinued.
    On a lighter note… Thunderbolts just picked up a new monthly reader. congragulations

Time: August 9, 2009, 5:06 pm

If Jeff added Wolverine or Spider-Man, I’d drop the book.

I don’t want to read about those lame characters. :p

Time: August 9, 2009, 6:00 pm

Comment from yeahaw
    Time: August 10, 2009, 12:47 am

To Beast: actually, it’s cool that – for the time being – AoA will be a back-up feature in Herc. It’s actually a pretty cool book. Give it a try.
    To Trevor: yes, gotta agree. I’ve never read T’bolts before. Mr. Parker is going to change that:-)

Time: August 10, 2009, 5:31 am

Yeah, but I don’t like Herc. I kinda feel like Marvel is forcing me to eat a terrible dinner, with the promise of a delicious dessert at the end. I just hate that kinda thing.

“You can’t have any pudding if you don’t eat your meat!”

Stick it in the back of something like X-Men Forever. That would be the best of both worlds for me.

Comment from chukw
    Time: August 10, 2009, 7:35 am

Well, I’m proud of ya! Rock on, Parker- rock on.

Comment from Jeff Vice
    Time: August 10, 2009, 10:59 am

This assures me more than anything else I’ve read on the subject: “Yes, more Atlas is on the way! And the fact that people are already speculating about Marvel’s strategy for the book, means the strategy is working on some level. But believe me, I’m writing a lot of Atlas right now for the near future of 2010.”

And … congrats on the Thunderbolts “promotion.” I have no doubt that the book will be even-better with your estimable writing skills.

Comment from odessasteps magazine
    Time: August 11, 2009, 3:22 pm

I think I said this on Facebook, but I’ll repeat it here:

I hope parker’s T-Bolts is more in line with the Kurt/Fabian era than the Ellis/Gage/Diggle era.

Comment from Kid Dork
    Time: August 15, 2009, 4:29 pm

I was upset to hear EXILES was gone, but I’ll be picking up T-BOLTS when Jeff takes over. I just want Jeff to write something for a long, long time. Tired of books I love disappearing.