• Spider-Man 1602!

some sideage

Over at Newsarama I’m speaking with Vaneta about Spider-Man 1602: The Web Complete and there are some beautiful Ramon Rosanas pages to see.

I see people wondering why we’re doing this so long after the initial series and follow-ups. You may remember in early 2008 when artist and colorist Stephane Peru died way way too young. His brother Olivier was originally to be the artist with Stephane coloring. Needless to say everything ground to a halt. Dan Buckley at Marvel was very gracious and let the project stay on hold for the better part of a year to give Olivier the chance to do it if he felt he still wanted to. Later Olivier gave it a shot, and stopped after a couple of pages, writing that it was just too much- this was a big job he and his brother had been excited about. Returning to it didn’t help. Of course everyone understood, and we began the search for an artist again- someone with the ability to synthesize history and fantasy to get the proper feel.

By this point we had been working with Ramon Rosanas more and more, hopefully you read his stories with Paul Tobin in Age of the Sentry. It became clear quickly that Ramon was perfect, and I’m very happy that he’s been able to color his own pages for this because he’s a powerhouse when allowed to do all art duties. This has been a very fun and different type of story for me to write and watching his pages roll in is a high point of the day, so even though this seems a bit after the fact, I hope you’ll order this series and give it a chance.

And hit that “recommend” button when you’re over at Newsarama!

Comments

Comment from Laura M
    Time: August 7, 2009, 11:01 am

I’m sorry to hear about the unfortunate circumstances of the project’s delay, but I’m glad it’s coming out. I really enjoyed 1602.

Truthfully, the only thing I was wondering about was how one would translate “Face it, Tiger! You just hit the jackpot!” into proper Elizabethan English.

Time: August 7, 2009, 11:13 am

I’ve struggled with that, yes. It may in the end just be too forced to do! But I have to try…

Comment from Paul Tobin
    Time: August 7, 2009, 7:01 pm

I, for one, am really looking forward to this. I know how much fun you’ve had cooking up the stories and the characters, and I’m eager to see more of Ramon’s art. I was so jealous when you began working with him that, in a moment of weakness, I called to the four winds that you were a creeping milk-livered hedge-pig.

(Jolly insult stolen from the Shakespearean Insult Generator)

Time: August 7, 2009, 7:41 pm

The generator said that on that day that you hurled the slur, you were a “loggerheaded tardy-gaited foul adulterer!” Thanks for this link, I’ll be using it for 1602 dialogue!

Comment from Edward
    Time: August 7, 2009, 8:07 pm

Looking forward to this, I have a soft spot for 1602. Little question btw, was there any 1602 story beyond these ones: 1602 (1-8), 1602 – New World (1-5) , 1602: Fantastick Four (1-5) & a short Hulk story in Hulk: Broken Worlds 2?

Asking because I almost missed the short Hulk story and only found about it by pure luck.

Time: August 7, 2009, 8:16 pm

I’m pretty sure that’s all of them as you listed it Edward!

Pingback from Parkerspace » Preview Spider-Man 1602- Out Wednesday!
    Time: October 4, 2009, 11:14 pm

[...] as we return to Peter in the Gaiman-built world. I see that some new shrubs have sprouted up since the last time I showed a bit from this, which I kind of expected. I wasn’t sure how we were getting away with that to begin [...]