• Agents of Atlas Lives! EXILES However…

I just want to get out a quick thank you to the Agents of Atlas readers who have been checking in, concerned that X-MEN vs. ATLAS as solicited now means dire things for the book. It doesn’t- instead it’s Marvel taking some opportunities to try to build the readership. We’ve got incredible critical acclaim, and the trick now is to convert that into more sales. I can’t give too much away right now, but you’ll see that you’re going to have quite a bit of Atlas action coming up.

Of course, I welcome all those who have asked how they can help boost the book. My suggestion- lend your issues out! And especially nab someone who doesn’t usually cross company lines, we’ve gotten some great response from diehard DC readers who gave it a shot.

As for EXILES… well, as they say, you can’t save every patient. The best we did was a momentary blip with issue one of the relaunch, and sales went right back to where they were previously. In hindsight, maybe we should have waited a year or two before trying it. It was a blow to me, I was having a great time working with Salva Espin and Casey Jones, and felt I was getting into a good groove with issues that you’ll never see. At least Marvel did me a solid and gave me a double sized issue in 6 to wrap things up. Curious to see what you think of how it… choke… ends.

That’s your brief but vague update on my antics. Now I have to get back to writing Atlas and another title which will be announced during the Chicago convention.

Comments

Comment from Matthew J. Brady
    Time: July 23, 2009, 8:18 am

Unfortunately, you probably won’t be able to convince people of the nutritional value of the book. Tucker Stone took care of that.

Are you going to be at the Chicago show? I’d love to say hi.

Time: July 23, 2009, 8:31 am

No- unless I get a crazy last minute wild hair. But I’m finally going to return next year, and probably do the Windy City show! I’m excited about Chicago shows being actually in Chicago and not Rosemont.

Comment from Caroline
    Time: July 23, 2009, 8:49 am

I’m so sorry to hear that about EXILES. It was easily my favorite new Marvel title of the year and I was really looking forward to the adventures of that team :( .

But I’m glad AoA lives and am looking forward to the X-Men crossover!

Comment from Paul Nolan
    Time: July 23, 2009, 9:14 am

Darn…. was really getting into the Exiles, (and vaguely holding onto the hope that Solitaire may have slipped his way in for a sly cameo).

I haven’t been reading Atlas. I’ll make sure my British Pound equivalent of $2.99 saved from not getting Exiles slips in that direction.

Comment from philip
    Time: July 23, 2009, 9:29 am

You had me at “Gorilla Man.” Seriously, I’ve been following you around since the first Agents of Atlas mini that you did (not physically, I mean I’ve been following your work). And I was one of those “DC types” before.

Sorry to hear that Exiles was canned. I’d never read any Exiles book before and only picked up this one because you were on it. Also, I’ve really been enjoying it. Alas. I’m sure that whatever else you have coming up, I will check out as well.

Comment from Scott Weinstein
    Time: July 23, 2009, 9:37 am

Sorry to hear about Exiles. I was really enjoying your run.

Comment from Nate
    Time: July 23, 2009, 9:42 am

wow, Jeff that is unfortunate, I was getting Exiles because it was a lot of fun and I love the concept of it. So, in the last few issues will you be able to wrap up the overarching plot of why these group of exiles were there? It seemed obvious to me that Blink knew more than she let on and probably is the same Blink from the previous series, and I could tell there was going to be a great story about why they were all there. I’m going to guess no, the next few issues is not enough to properly wrap things up

Comment from Adam Hutch
    Time: July 23, 2009, 9:42 am

That’s too bad about Exiles. I felt like it was getting back to what drew me into the book when Judd’s version first launched. I’m glad Atlas is going to continue on. It’s easily one of the best series Marvel currently puts out.

Comment from Laura M
    Time: July 23, 2009, 10:01 am

I’m really disappointed about Exiles. It was way more fun that I expected it to be, and I really thought you had an interesting cast of characters there that I looked forward to seeing you develop. Espin’s art is great too, ad I will have to remember to look for his work on other books.

I’m really looking forward to the X-Men vs. Agents of Atlas though, and I’m sure I’ll be checking out whatever new projects you have announced.

Comment from Biggs
    Time: July 23, 2009, 10:13 am

What made the original Exiles series so cool, at least in the very beginning, is that the team was made up of characters that didn’t exist in the regular marvel universe but had strong ties to the X-Men. It was the only series where you could find Morph, Blink,and Nocturne. And it had really cool versions of Mimic, who, at the time, was not a regular appearing character in the marvel universe and Thunderbird, who is dead.

This new series, with the exception of Blink, is nothing but alternate universe versions of characters we see on a normal basis. And with the exception of Black Panther being the son of T’Challa, none of them are even that different from the regular versions (and the Beast being more beastly is hardly much of a deviation from the norm).

I think this series would have survived if had used some fresh characters or even some of the cool characters from the original series introduced. Like the psycho, symbiote wearing Spiderman from Sabretooth’s team. He was awesome. Like Spiderman, Deadpool and Venom mixed together.

Pingback from Robot 6 @ Comic Book Resources – Covering Comic Book News and Entertainment » Agents of Atlas lives on, but Exiles is canceled
    Time: July 23, 2009, 10:15 am

[...] response to fan concerns about the future of Marvel’s Agents of Atlas, writer Jeff Parker announced this morning that the critically acclaimed, but low-selling, series will continue — for now, at [...]

Comment from Hi
    Time: July 23, 2009, 10:15 am

Will we get to see Temugin beat up Collossus?
    Is it wise to stop publishing the main book while the mini is going on? I can easily see that backfiring and people forgetting to look for the main book after the mini is done. I think it might have been smarter to just have the mini-series stuff take place in the main book. Kind of an extended guest-star thing.

Comment from Hi
    Time: July 23, 2009, 10:49 am

Also, I hate to say this, but why not just have Wolverine join the team? It might not seem to make much sense, but most of Wolverine’s appearances frankly don’t make much sense. And yes, as silly as this suggestion may sound, I am completely serious about it. Just accept that this is Wolververse and contrive a reason for him to join up.

You could say, for example, that the X-Men and Avengers grudgingly accept the AOA’s claim of being heroes, but they demand that one of their own be put on the team to watch them and make sure they stay on the up and up. Since Wolverine is on both teams, he is chosen as their watcher. Bam! You’ve got Wolverine on the team. Sales problem solved.

Comment from jack marlowe
    Time: July 23, 2009, 12:19 pm

It´s a same cancellation of Exiles.

Agents of Atlas vs X-men. The Wolverine vs M-11. What is more strong adamantium or Uranian metal?

Time: July 23, 2009, 12:22 pm

Thank you Paul!

Time: July 23, 2009, 12:23 pm

I obviously can’t do a lot of the things I had planned, but Salva and I do wrap it up with the core of what I wanted to do. It’s still kinda neat.

Comment from Hi
    Time: July 23, 2009, 12:35 pm

Hulk dented Marvel Boy’s ship, but has never dented Wolverine’s skeleton, so adamantium is tougher. Anyway we know Wolvie and Gorilla Man are going to be dance-partners.

I’m guessing the line-up will be something like this:
    Gorilla Man vs Wolverine(because the preview gives us a pic of this)
    M-11 vs Cyclops(because both have death-rays)
    Venus vs Emma Frost(both hotty mind-controllers)
    Namora vs Rogue(Namora likes punching Ms Marvel, and Rogue has Ms Marvel’s powers)
    Marvel Boy vs ? I have no idea.
    Temugin vs Collossus(closest Iron Man equivalent)
    Jimmy Woo vs ? No idea on this one. He’s Cyclops tactical ability without Cyclops power.

Comment from Matt Hanger
    Time: July 23, 2009, 12:36 pm

I’m also pretty bummed about the canning of Exiles. I’ve wanted to read AoA but I feel really far behind on it. I assume this X-Men Crossover and the storyline immediately following will be good jumping on points? After enjoying Exiles so much, I feel like I should hop into Atlas.

Also, what are the odds of Exiles getting a trade release? Having it all in singles is nice, but it’d be great to have it as a collected volume on my shelf.

Comment from patrick hulman
    Time: July 23, 2009, 12:37 pm

sorry to hear this Jeff. When the solicitations came out and there was no Exiles, i had a strong feeling it was gone. Hopefully something better comes from this.

Time: July 23, 2009, 12:44 pm

Atlas is easier to hop on than you might think. We don’t have years of continuity, and we recap things like crazy!

Exiles will probably get a trade.

Comment from Stephen
    Time: July 23, 2009, 12:53 pm

I have loved all of your issues of ‘Exiles’ even though there haven’t been many. I can’t believe it was selling low; it was a great comic. I will miss it dearly.

Comment from Hi
    Time: July 23, 2009, 12:55 pm

Jeff, if only you knew the POWER of the Wolverine-Side! Join him and together you can rule the sales charts as author and character!

Comment from Xavier
    Time: July 23, 2009, 1:08 pm

Good to know about the X-men crossover, thanks! I’m pretty excited about those issues this Oct. :) Sorry about Exiles though…

Time: July 23, 2009, 1:30 pm

Sorry to hear about Exiles. It was a great book.

Sadly it went downhill after the bug reveal. And I honestly don’t think any writer could have saved it. Shame it didn’t even get 12 issues like most books though.

The team better not die in the final issue. I’ll be let down. :(

Comment from Evan
    Time: July 23, 2009, 1:38 pm

Sorry to hear that Exiles is ending, I really liked that take on Beast. But of course I’m glad to hear Atlas is still going strong.

Also sorry to hear you won’t be at Chicago, but definitely interested in hearing more about this new book.

Comment from Wendy
    Time: July 23, 2009, 1:45 pm

I bought exiles and was entertained… so I am a little sad. I hadn’t picked it up in over a year before that because of poor writing. I’m sorry.

But… if this means we can run with 2 Agents a month I am all for it.

What issues do you think are the best to give new readers?

Comment from David Branson
    Time: July 23, 2009, 2:05 pm

Man, I’m sorry to hear about Exiles. Will we get any kind of explanation for how things got from the end of the last series to the beginning of this one in there?

Here’s a thought — Given that Marvel does a lot of alternate reality stuff almost constantly (Apes, Noir, Zombies, etc.), what about some kind of anthology title in which Exiles could continue as an ongoing backup? It’s working for Spider-Girl…

Loving Agents of Atlas. Along with Herc and Mighty Avengers it’s the only mainstream present-day 616 title I’m getting at all, and I really hope it continues…

Comment from virtuadept
    Time: July 23, 2009, 3:03 pm

Oh man, I was really digging Exiles a lot. Was a lot cooler than the New Exiles run if you ask me, and the most interesting the series has been in years. Kudos for writing a good but short lived book!

Comment from Ciaran
    Time: July 23, 2009, 5:29 pm

Well that sucks. This run of Exiles reminded me of the original run, so quickly became one of my favourite books again, after dropping off with New Exiles…

Blink and Morph do need more limelight! Hope Marvel can continue Exiles in the future, since it’s What If but better!

Comment from Hi
    Time: July 23, 2009, 7:32 pm

Honestly, watching Parker’s numbers drop while Loeb sells like hotcakes just gives me a headache. It’s flabberghasting. It’s such a huh-buh-wuh??

Pingback from The End of Exiles or We Can’t Have Nice Things! at Fantastic Fangirls: Comics and Culture
    Time: July 24, 2009, 6:35 am

[...] though, the comics news flash that hit me the hardest on Thursday was not an SDCC announcement but a post on Jeff Parker’s blog in which he announced that the current Exiles series is ending with issue [...]

Comment from CatJuggling
    Time: July 24, 2009, 2:12 pm

As a fan of Exiles from the very first issue one, you were all doing great work getting it back on track after getting so far into the realm of “too bad to continue” under…we’ll call it “other hands” and leave that. I now can and can’t wait for issue six. At least we have a chance at some answers.

You can count on my Exiles box slot sliding right over to AoA.

Time: July 24, 2009, 2:30 pm

Thank you.

Comment from Brad Curran
    Time: July 24, 2009, 7:15 pm

Too bad about Exiles (especially since it just started), but I’m glad to hear AoA’s continuing. Like a lot of folks here, that’s become one of my favorite monthlies.

Comment from frogoat
    Time: July 24, 2009, 10:30 pm

It really sucks that Exiles is cancelled so early! With Captain Britain and MI:13 gone and so many other great titles I read cancelled, I’m really getting low on titles to pick up! Any chance Exiles can come back as a mini once in a while? Please ask, please!

Time: July 24, 2009, 10:38 pm

I guess it’s possible!

Comment from Peteparker
    Time: July 27, 2009, 9:44 am

I really felt your series was a breath of fresh air to the Exiles’ series. It truly saddens me that Mr. Claremont was given almost 50 issues to turn the series around, and you were only given 6.

Just when my beloved series I’ve been reading for 7 years has gotten back to it’s roots in a fresh new way, it’s mothballed. There is no justice!

Comment from Michael
    Time: July 27, 2009, 12:08 pm

Captain Britain gets canceled and AOA struggles while Wolverine has fifty books. There is no justice. Parker will probably have to give in and add Wolverine or Spider-Man or both to the team. I can’t see any way around it. Quality writing isn’t enough. You need name characters and right now the only character with any kind of name recognition by non-hardcore AOA fans is Temugin. Pulling in a few thousand Iron Man fans isn’t going to cut it. You need to pull in those meaty Wolverine and Spider-Man fans.

Time: July 27, 2009, 12:19 pm

I like how you slipped in the Temugin plug.

Comment from butch
    Time: July 28, 2009, 1:48 am

I think Michael IS Temugin.

Comment from Matt M.
    Time: July 28, 2009, 9:41 am

Yay, ATLAS! Boo cancelling EXILES! Yay, Dark Horse publishing BLACKSAD!

Not that you had anything to do with the last one, but I’m still pretty happy about that news.

Time: July 28, 2009, 10:02 am

I’m very happy about that news myself!

Comment from Hi
    Time: July 28, 2009, 3:30 pm

So what ARE the plans to save Agents of Atlas anyway? It can’t be just “continue to create a high quality product”, that never works.

Comment from Daniel
    Time: July 29, 2009, 9:35 am

Really!? Say it ain’t so… I was really loving Exiles so much. I told everyone I saw at SDCC that they should be buying it… Now I feel like an idiot.

Maybe we should organize I write in campaign? It worked for that Spider-Girl book.

Dammit, this really ruined my day… if I had known this before Comic Con I would have found Joe Q and kicked him in the…

Comment from Hi
    Time: July 29, 2009, 10:10 am

Ehf. The Spider-Girl campaigns had to be repeated every ten seconds. It was like watching someone with a fatal heart attack getting zapped again and again. I’d rather AOA get a stable boost in sales. I just can’t see that happening without Wolverine. Quality writing doesn’t do it. Stunts don’t do it. Wolverine doing a Crusty the Crown impression every issue does it.

I can just see it: Wolverine and Spider-Man are drinking a beer. Wolverine says, “Agents of Aplas is such a geat team. I am so proud to be a member of this team.”
    Spider-Man-”is Agents of Aplas or Agents of Atlas? Anyway, I am also very proud to be a member of this team and heartily endorse it.”
    Wolverine-”Agents of Aplas, Agents of Atlas, who cares? Where’s the guy with our checks?”

And then the rest of the issue can be Agents of Atlas stuff. You don’t need to drag the Wolverine stuff out. New Avengers is basically Luke Cage’s book. Wolverine doesn’t do much except smile at the camera. Yet he still pulls in the readers.

Comment from Daniel
    Time: July 29, 2009, 10:42 am

But it kept Spider-Girl going for years! Also Manhunter! We just have to let them know we don’t want the book to to disappear. Jeff was doing really spectacular work! I think we can do it! Start writing Joey Q. and tell him we don’t want Exiles to go away!

SAVE EXILES!

Time: July 29, 2009, 10:50 am

Write In campaigns only work if you send money with each letter. I’ve already written the last issue, Salva is almost through drawing it- it’s done. Insert fork!

Comment from Daniel
    Time: July 29, 2009, 10:52 am

Well, if you want to give up without a fight… :(

Time: July 29, 2009, 11:30 am

You know, if we’re at the point where it’s announced that it’s over, it’s long past the point where anyone can “fight.” I think we’re leaving the book in a good place should anyone be approved to start it up again.

Comment from Hi
    Time: July 29, 2009, 11:30 am

Just remember: more people have died from removed tonsils, appendixes, even liposuction, than have ever died from a lost soul. You won’t miss it. You probably won’t even notice it’s gone. And that Wolverine money in your pocket will feel sweeeeet.

Comment from Daniel
    Time: July 29, 2009, 11:50 am

I know I’m going to miss it, and I’ll definitely notice it is gone. It was the book I most looked forward to each month. I’m NOT a Marvel guy and I have become so disenfranchised with their titles the last few years it is hard for me to pick up anything new from them. But I gave Exiles a chance because of an interview I read I think on CBR, despite being only vaguely familiar with what happened at the end of the last series. And It was great. I loved it. I had actually thought about picking up more Marvel titles… Not going to happen now. They botched the only book of theirs I read by not promoting it properly and then cancel it after, what, 4 issues? Ridiculous…

Comment from Paul
    Time: July 30, 2009, 6:56 am

I think Agents of Atlas is one of the best books EVER !! and yes i buy doubles and recommend it to my friends. I will admit I was scared when I saw that X-men vs Atlas solicit!! haha

Time: July 30, 2009, 7:08 am

THAT is the way, thanks Paul.

Comment from Martin Thomas
    Time: August 1, 2009, 1:28 pm

Sorry to hear about Exiles. The stories were a little bit slight for my tastes, but I was going to stick with it for the duration because I expected things would develop more as the series progressed. Oh well, I look forward to Underground and this other new title…hope it’s an ongoing.

Comment from Robert Martinez
    Time: August 3, 2009, 11:04 pm

I admit I’m puzzled why this latest incarnation of Exiles did not catch on. I suppose the taint of New Exiles kept people away. What I enjoyed about this series was it’s immediate accessibility. I did not need to know the Massive Marvel Marching Continuity to read or enjoy it! AOA has always been my fave and I will continue to follow that title. I hope this new series that will be touted at Chi-con is either The Defenders or maybe a Midnight Sons monster hunting sort of book! Hey, I can hope!! Whatever you’re doing, Jeff, I will happily read.

Comment from Vince Von Muhlhaeuser
    Time: August 5, 2009, 10:43 am

Well I am truly sorry to hear the news about Exile,I was truly enjoying this book,each issue was IMHO pure awesomeness,you truly had the concept well in hand and put it right back on the top of it’s game just like in Winnick’s years at the beginning…this truly is a shame,plus it is totataly stupid editorially speaking:You CANNOT judge a book’s potential in just ONE story arc,it is not enough time for the book to be well known and to establish the character…Marvel truly is a mess nowadays,I mean they gave Claremont 18 issues plus an annual,I think that had they given that to you,the book would have increased its sales an been just fine…sight stuff like your exiles and Cornell’s CaptainBritain and MI13 are cancelled while books like Loeb’s Hulk are still going…a bloody shame.But I am Happy that Agents of Atlas is safe,I just love this book.Keep up the awesome work mister Parker,as a reader I thank you for the Quality of that work.

Comment from Chris
    Time: August 5, 2009, 5:23 pm

Sucks about Exiles. It was almost like reading the book before Claremont got his grubby hands all over it. Based on your previous work, I’m sure we were all in for a treat had the book went on.

At least Atlas is sticking around. One of my top must-read books every month.

Comment from Geoff
    Time: August 5, 2009, 7:26 pm

Oh no! I just found out about this when I opened up Exiles #5 today and was totally heartbroken. Jeff, you’re my favorite comics writer–I absolutely love your work!–and I thought you were taking Exiles (which I had never read until you started it back up) in a really interesting direction.

I’m glad the Agents will be sticking around, at least!

Comment from Rayne
    Time: August 14, 2009, 7:31 pm

This last run of Exiles had promise! It’s so sad to see Blink leave. Maybe she will be able to join an ongoing X-team? She would fit in great with the Uncanny crew…

Comment from Kenny
    Time: September 6, 2009, 6:40 pm

This run of Exiles deserved more time. The characters are still being established at this time so it’s hard to determine who’s who and why.

I look forward to your run on Thunderbolts

Comment from Karl
    Time: December 17, 2009, 6:20 pm

I was bummed to see Marvel’s cancellation of Volume 3 of the Exiles. I enjoyed your run on the title: I bought all six issues at my LCS, and posted a positive review on Amazon for the TPB. I also enjoyed reading Fall Of The Hulks Alpha.