• Preview AGENTS of ATLAS vs. NEW AVENGERS!

and you know who the runt is!

Newsarama has seven pages of next week’s throwdown! If you have a second while you’re there, comment or at least click “Recommend” so the preview will keep popping up on the front page, please. Seven more days…

Comments

Comment from Liz
    Time: May 13, 2009, 10:49 am

Go Ken! Bite them in the face!

Comment from yeahaw
    Time: May 13, 2009, 12:13 pm

cool!

Comment from butch
    Time: May 13, 2009, 1:53 pm

Done and done.

Love how Woo is hamming it up. Must be fun to write him when he gets his “Golden Claw on.”

Time: May 14, 2009, 6:01 am

Gotta love any recap page that’s sung to “Singing in the Rain”.

Preview looks good. Can’t wait to read the full issue. I just love the banter going on, reminds me of fun comics. Not the current books where there’s angst and death dripping off every page.

Wish people would quit whining about Temugin getting “Powered down” though.

Jeff, you do an incredible job writing the New Avengers. Maybe one day you’ll take over. I’m all for that.

Time: May 14, 2009, 6:21 am

Only if I could call them THE REVENGERS!

Comment from Hi
    Time: May 14, 2009, 7:09 am

Am I the only one whose always thought the Defenders and Avengers should exchange names? The Avengers are full of people who are much more about defense than vengeance. And the Defenders are full of avengey people.

As for Temugin, I don’t think people are whining so much as puzzled. Temugin as he used to be would punch Ronin once in the chest so hard that his ribs would fly out his back as shattered shrapnel and kill not only Ronin but whoever was standing behind Ronin.

Even so, no one has mentioned him in three or four weeks, so I would hardly say that there has been constant whining. A couple people expressed puzzlement, Jeff explained that Temugin had been depowered, and everyone moved on.

Comment from Pj Perez
    Time: May 14, 2009, 7:28 am

Looks like some gorilla fur-flying fun, Jeff. Question though (and forgive my ignorance): What’s with this “impression” Cap/Bucky gets? “Connected” with someone in a spacesuit? Did I miss something?

Time: May 14, 2009, 7:31 am

Depends where you’re reading, Hi. ;)

PJ, you may have missed last issue. Marvel Boy/The Uranian aka Bob fiddled with Bucky Cap’s mind. Planted some things in there, that would lead to the weapons cash. So that Woo wouldn’t have to deliever them to Norman Osborn.

Time: May 14, 2009, 7:36 am

You are totally right about switching names!

Time: May 14, 2009, 7:36 am

Beast beat me to it…

Comment from Hi
    Time: May 14, 2009, 8:09 am

I can’t help but suspect that both names were picked out of team insecurities rather than team realities.

The Avengers show up:
    Public-”are those flower-sniffing hippies even tough enough to save us? They’ve got all the testosterone of care-bears and teletubies.”
    The Avengers-”Huh? Hey! We’re tough! You got it all wrong! We’re dark and vengeful and masculine! We kick ass and take names, and brand cattle in our spare time! And we don’t even need a branding iron, we just swat them once with our big testosterone filled penises and it brands them for eternity! You don’t want to mess with us, man, we’re dark and masculine and vengeful! Heck, that’s even our name! The Avengers!”

The Defenders show up to stop some villains:
    Public-”Oh shit! It’s a SECOND team of villains! We’re really screwed now! Those guys are completely psychotic!”
    The Defenders-”Huh? Hey! We’re not villains! We’re heroes! We’re here to save people and we’re nice to old people and kittens and everything! We DEFEND the innocent, man! Hell, that’s even our name, the DEFENDERS! So suck it, man, we’re the good guys and we’ll smash anyone who says otherwise!”

Time: May 14, 2009, 1:14 pm

“Beast beat me to it…”

Do you expect any less from me at this point? :D

Comment from Hi
    Time: May 16, 2009, 11:40 pm

Woohoo! Guess who made the list of greatest villains of all time? Temugin’s dad! Guess who didn’t make the list? Yellow Claw! History has finally settled that old rivalry between the ultimate chessmaster and the ultimate barbarian warlord!

Time: May 17, 2009, 9:21 am

To be fair… it’s IGN. :p

Time: May 17, 2009, 9:30 am

Yellow Claw had his own comic book! For ten minutes, but still!

Comment from Hi
    Time: May 17, 2009, 9:45 am

Yellow has his moments, but he’s kind of effeminate compared to The Mandarin. The Mandarin has the Chi-amped strength and he’s such a barbaric, bloodthirsty character compared to Yellow. The Mandarin is like Joe Pesci in Goodfellas.

Meanwhile Yellow is like Kaiser Soze, manipulating and manipulating and then manipulating some more. Yellow is all subtlety and more subtlety and here’s another layer of subtlety beneath the subtlety.

Comment from Tromeritus
    Time: May 17, 2009, 1:47 pm

*recommends preview but doesn’t read because I like to be surprised by my favorite comics*

Comment from Hi
    Time: May 18, 2009, 3:29 pm

The preview for 9 sounds awesome, but uh, when did the Punisher join the Agents of Atlas?

Time: May 18, 2009, 3:36 pm

Yeah, Jimmy got some growth hormone from Leinil!

Comment from Hi
    Time: May 18, 2009, 3:41 pm

And a race transplant as well. The role of Jimmy Woo has been recast using a six-foot-five Italian dude.

Comment from Hi
    Time: May 18, 2009, 5:56 pm

Yeah, nothing against Leinil generally, but I’m really not digging his take on Jimmy Woo.

I like that Jimmy is generally drawn in a way that conveys gentleness and thoughtfulness. You can tell that Jimmy’s greatest assets are his mind and heart, not his fists. Kind of like Peter Parker if Parker were a little older and more confident.

Leinil makes him look like a thug there, with all the thoughtfulness of a pitbull.

Also, I’ve always liked that Jimmy is usually drawn clearly Asian. So Leinil making him look white turns me off. Especially with comics having a history of making Asian protagonists look white.

Comment from Liz
    Time: May 21, 2009, 12:45 am

This issue was so much fun! And can I just say that Jimmy Woo pretending to be an evil mastermind makes me giddy with a capital GIDDY?