• My Earth Day Comics Initiative

seaturtle

Besides the obvious Stop Killing Trees to Print Comics, of course (we’re only a few years away from that). No, I think other creators and I could make an effort to simply set more stories in natural environments, which most artists prefer to draw. While readers are idealizing larger than life characters, they can be attaching that sort of scale and import to the natural world. Instead of setting your next scene in a nondescript office or warehouse (this will come back to bite me in The Hood miniseries), stick everyone in the mountains or a fjord. Reinforce Earth imagery, not the dystopic future we’re building.

Maybe it will have an effect, maybe it will at least make hundreds of artists hug their scripts and say “for once, I don’t have to draw Manhattan!”

Comments

Comment from Dana
    Time: April 22, 2009, 2:14 pm

Trees are a renewable resource.
    The chemicals and plastics that go into digital devices are not.

just saying…

Comment from Brian Churilla
    Time: April 22, 2009, 2:14 pm

Agreed. Drawing all natural n’stuff is fuuun. I just got done drawing that piece for Creepy, and almost all of it took place in the woods at night. Good times.

Comment from Paul Tobin
    Time: April 22, 2009, 2:51 pm

Writers (and artists) should also remember that we’re not alone on this planet. Most writers won’t write a single animal into a script unless somebody is killing it. And while I love jungle scenes, there is more animal life in the wild than the alligator that attacks the heroes, or the dove / pigeon / parrot that flies around because it makes the panel look freaking cool.

Comment from Dana
    Time: April 23, 2009, 5:26 am

Don’t forget the animal henchmen or the animal mastermind.

Lizard’s crocodile thug side kicks and the Super Apes rock it hard for a reason — they want their planet back!

Comment from Dana
    Time: April 23, 2009, 5:27 am

(just like I want the turtle for lunch…)

Time: April 23, 2009, 6:37 am

Admit it, you can’t stop looking at the turtle- I can’t!

Comment from kjchen
    Time: April 23, 2009, 6:48 am

I can’t look at the turtle without expecting it to spout vaguely Zen surfer aphorisms. Damn you, Andrew Stanton!