• WRITER VS. ARTIST: Jeff Parker talks w Gabriel Hardman

That’s right it’s another one of my semi-confrontational dialogues with a collaborator at Comic Book Resources. Today, Gabe Hardman and I talk about our work on Agents of Atlas and various influences on the work. I’d like to do a longer version of this with him at some point and go further into the film stuff because he has a lot of knowledge and opinions on it that storytellers would dig. We show some of his rough pencils too, which are always a big treat to find in my inbox. The guy can draw anything and make it sing.

Okay, I Atlassed you out this week. Next week we’ll talk Exiles or something.

Comments

Comment from butch
    Time: March 13, 2009, 4:40 pm

Good insights! I love how Gabriel calls Hale’s apperance a “”performance.” Dude’s a storyboard artist eh? Cool.

3D Man was the most annoying character from that old What If issue. =/

Awesome roughs too, must be a treat to see those in your inbox!

Time: March 14, 2009, 7:31 am

Yeah, Gabriel has been storyboarding the Green Lantern movie WHILE getting our work done! I don’t know why his hand doesn’t just fall off.

Time: March 14, 2009, 11:48 am

Yeah. Promise us we won’t see 3-D Man anytime soon.

Time: March 14, 2009, 12:21 pm

I give you my solemn vow.

Comment from Martin Thomas
    Time: March 14, 2009, 2:39 pm

That was cool, very interesting. It’s always useful to get an insight into the creative process of others, and I look forward to hearing more from Gabriel.

Comment from benton jew
    Time: March 15, 2009, 11:39 am

Great, informative article!

One of the things that makes working with Jeff so easy is that he’s drawn comics as well as written them, and is conversant in film having worked in that field too. It’s great hearing the comic/film geek banter between you and Gabe as you both obviously know your stuff really well!

That Gabe manages to juggle both the storyboards and the comics work at the same time is pretty amazing! When I tried it last year it was pretty exhausting. Also great to see Gabe’s pencils for these pages. Beautifully loose, but it’s all there, keeping the rendering for the inking stage. Is he inking it “old school” or digitally?

Time: March 15, 2009, 10:30 pm

Benton, I’m betting you would be prone to jump into film talk too if we did one of these dialogues, hey?

Time: March 16, 2009, 4:41 am

I think if more comic creators watched better movies, we’d get better comics.

I mean, citing “Sweet Smell of Success” as an influence would be enough to make me pick up a book, if I weren’t already signed up to get it.

P.S. — I’ve finally worked my way through the Parker stack, except for the last issue of Sentry. I’m not sure whether I like Mysterius or AoA better.

Time: March 16, 2009, 7:45 am

That really is a film you don’t hear artists throwing out when talking inspiration, pretty refreshing. Glad you’re liking both Mysterius and Atlas, they make the work week a blast.