• Sea Monkey Friday

seaape Nothing really to post today, I just had to sneak in a bit from Leinil Yu’s mind-boggling cover to Agents of Atlas 6, which you’ll see pretty soon.

I love that the really great artists (the ones I consider as such, anyway) always magically kick into an even higher gear when given the opportunity to draw animals. That is one fantastic gorilla, man.

AGENTS 6: The Agents GET WET.

Comments

Comment from Alcibiades
    Time: March 6, 2009, 5:41 pm

I was just wondering when the Mandarin’s son gave Mandarin his rings. I don’t have all the Knauf Iron Man issues, but didn’t a terrorist gather the rings and give them to the Mandarin? Mayhaps you can pick the Mandarin extremis thing that they left.

Comment from Hi
    Time: March 6, 2009, 9:43 pm

Yeah, the continuity is kind of messy there, with the Mandarin story in Iron Man, Modok’s 11, and Parker’s take contradicting. Personally, I think we should all just let the subject slide. I don’t think you can reconcile all three. Any two, perhaps, but not all three. So just let it go. Who cares, really? Temugin doesn’t have the rings and his dad does, that’s all we need to know.

Personally, I think the rings are the least interesting aspect of both Temugin and Mandarin. Their Genghis Khan worship and super-kung-fu and brutal schemes are all cooler to hear about than nitpicky stuff about the rings.

Comment from Betty Dobson
    Time: March 7, 2009, 7:51 am

About the sea monkey…

Honestly, I came to Agents for Namora, and she’s still the main reason I follow the team’s adventures, but I have to admit…

I LOVE Gorilla Man!

Comment from butch
    Time: March 7, 2009, 8:38 am

Wow, the list of awesome artists on the AoA covers continues!

Somebody whisper in Travis Charest’s ear… Hey, he did Skaar, who knows. :)

Comment from Alcibiades
    Time: March 8, 2009, 4:26 pm

I’m all for letting of the continuity, but I hoped that there might a cool story about it. Especially since the Mandarin was pretty hardcore in Iron Man.

Time: March 8, 2009, 5:10 pm

Let me just tip toe through this, since I rarely like to address story questions- I like to let the work itself be the only source. We tried to synch up to the status quo of both Iron Man and Modok’s 11 (hence the replacement hand and no rings) and I can pretty easily think of a development that blends them all smoothly, but I don’t know that we’d ever have time to tell it with the story plan in place. I predict the Grand Manipulators of the Marvel Handbook will eventually corner all of us and force out a concrete answer at gunpoint!

Comment from Hi
    Time: March 8, 2009, 11:15 pm

Like I said, I really don’t think it’s important to dot every i and cross ever t when it comes to the rings. The rings are the least interesting aspect of both Mandarin and Temugin.

That they revere Genghis Khan is interesting.

That they look at the world with this barbarian warlord perspective is interesting.

That they’ve mastered kung fu to degree that makes Iron Fist look like a child is interesting.

So don’t waste a ton of time on the rings. That’s like wasting time on Magneto’s helmet when when things like him being a Holocaust survivor are so much more interesting.

Comment from benton jew
    Time: March 9, 2009, 12:32 am

Sweet painting of Gorilla Man!

A gorilla underwater in a bubble helmet! Can’t beat that!

Give an artist something fun to draw and you’ll always get something
    fun to look at in return!

Congrats again on the success of AOA!

Time: March 9, 2009, 9:01 am

Thanks Benton! I hear you’re something of a maestro with gorillas as well..!

Comment from Hi
    Time: March 10, 2009, 2:59 am

I only have one complaint: why is Temugin’s nightmare Iron Man? He beat the hell out of Iron Man without even using the rings, just his Chi powers. Iron Man is a joke to Temugin, not something to have nightmares about.