• Uncanny First Class is On The Way

Sorry to be so tight-lipped for months about the First Class book to come, but now you may have seen either at CBR or over at Newsarama that the next step is the Uncanny Version 2 of the team. Bamf!

crawlah

I predict that this will mirror the original X-Switch and that this book will take off. One, it’s everybody’s favorite version of the X-Men, and two, writer Scott Gray has a perfect handle on the characters- I’ve already read his first excellent scripts. And you know Roger Cruz will knock it out of the park, so I say just sign up for this voyage.

I only wish they’d call it X-Men: Uncanny Class or something a little less clunky, but I understand the need for branding. Craig Rousseau and I are doing an intro story in the Giant Size that will kick this off, and even though I’ve sworn off doing much more ‘squeezing between continuity’, I do kind of regret that I won’t be writing one character’s voice beyond my single story…

banshee

BANSHEE!

Comments

Time: March 1, 2009, 8:42 pm

I’m still skeptical about this…

Considering when they launched Wolverine: First Class they said they were going to focus on Wolverine and Kitty because trying to squeeze stories in-between for the Uncanny team at that period was difficult. Guess they’re just going to ignore continuity this time around.

And what happened to those teases of yours about the next version of First Class having something to do with Ape Beast and Archangel. Which pointed to X-Factor: First Class. Or is that still a possibility for the future?

*Sighs* Guess I can rule out a fun Beast ever again.

Time: March 1, 2009, 11:22 pm

I never said “Archangel.” What I was talking about is that there may be some shorts where the book cuts over and see what the graduates are doing (hence, Fun Beast). But Scott likely needs time to establish the book’s voice before sharing room for stuff like that.

Frankly, I hope he IS less concerned about continuity than I was. Despite what X-purists think, I worried way too much about not contradicting 40 year old comics and it often made the experience like pulling teeth.

Comment from Chris McAree
    Time: March 2, 2009, 2:14 am

I just want one of the most important questions in “X” history answered Jeff; Why did my fellow Irishman Se├ín Cassidy choose to name himself after a female monster from traditional folklore! He He.

Think your right about continuity in a book like this being a bit beside the point though. I just hope it has the same “Fun-factor” as a lot of the other First Class and Marvel Adventures books.

Comment from Adam Hutch
    Time: March 2, 2009, 6:37 am

Looking forward to this, esp. since Roger Cruz will be drawing it. I wish you’d stuck with it but I can understand you wanting to move on and do something that involves less teeth pulling sensations.

Time: March 2, 2009, 6:39 am

I’d have to dig up the interview, maybe you were misquoted.

Either way, I’m looking forward to the book. Considering how dark, angsty, and depressing the X-Books have become, it’s a nice change of pace.

Honestly… I don’t even know why they’re bothering with it. Why not just launch a Marvel Adventures: X-Men and get it over with. Since then they can pick and choose whatever cast they want to, and don’t have to worry about continuity.

Especially as you say, it was like pulling teeth at times. And then you still got called on stupid things like Bobby’s haircolor, cellphones, and the X-Box thing especially.

Time: March 2, 2009, 6:42 am

Hell… now was the perfect time to launch such a book.
    What with Wolverine and the X-Men being a huge success.

And oh well, at least I’ll have a hopefully non-angsty Beast in Exiles.

Time: March 2, 2009, 7:28 am

Chris, that’s the age old question isn’t it? Banshee is a cool name, but you’ve got to raise an eyebrow.

Time: March 2, 2009, 7:33 am

Beast, the sales difference between and Adventures book and a First Class book is pretty big. Comics shop buyers just will not turn out unless they think that the book “counts.” I will never be able to relate to why one imaginary world counts more than another imaginary world, but there it is.

Time: March 2, 2009, 7:55 am

Fair point.

Sorry if I come off as complaining. Didn’t mean to.

Time: March 2, 2009, 8:05 am

As long as you’re commenting in the same place I’m commenting, you’ll never come off as the grumpiest guy!

Time: March 2, 2009, 8:09 am

Heh.

I wish the Exiles Sketchbook on Marvel.Com would work right.

*Mutters about the Digital Comics interface sucking*

Comment from Laura M
    Time: March 2, 2009, 3:17 pm

Wasn’t Banshee first introduced during Stan Lee’s run? You could have used him.

I’ll miss X-Men: First Class, but I’m really looking forward to this too. I’m really happy Roger Cruz is sticking around too.