• Robot Love

Today I’m the guest blogger over at Robot 6, and my theme for their Love Week is “I Heart Learning From Comics.” If you have a moment to read it, I’ll bet some instances where you actually gleaned something real from comic books will occur to you. So share some of them there, if you dare.

Comments

Comment from Martin Thomas
    Time: February 12, 2009, 12:09 pm

That’s a good read, Jeff. Nice one.

Racking my brain to try and remember what comics have taught me. It didn’t all go in one ear and out the other – did it?

Comment from kjchen
    Time: February 12, 2009, 2:09 pm

Professor Ray Palmer taught me the difference between stalactites and stalagmites (“Stalactite has the letter C in it. Let the C stand for ceiling! Stalagmite has the letter G in it. Let the G stand for ground!”).

If only he could have taught me the difference between physics and geology.

Comment from tom fowler
    Time: February 12, 2009, 3:17 pm

i remember looking up from a certain comic and asking my mother what a “herald” was…

try and guess which one.

Time: February 12, 2009, 5:12 pm

I’m stumped!

Comment from odessasteps magazine
    Time: February 12, 2009, 8:07 pm

I have long been a proponent of DC putting out a trade called “All I need to know about science I learned from FLASH FACTS.”

Comment from Alcibiades
    Time: February 12, 2009, 8:29 pm

Comics have always introduced me to mythology even if it wasn’t true to the original. Hercules and Thor being the biggest examples. Less popular are Mephisto and …I can’t really think of others, but I think you get the idea.

Comment from Mike Jozic
    Time: February 12, 2009, 10:58 pm

I remember defending my comics to my mother one day using a new word I had learned from a recent issue of Larry Hama’s GI JOE. If my mother actually knew what patricide meant, it could probably be said that I would not be reading comic books today.

Comment from Matt M.
    Time: February 13, 2009, 9:24 am

I learned that if you tried to explain love to a robot, their brains would explode.

Or was that from STAR TREK? I can never remember…

Comment from Butch