• NICE.

You know, I was just musing about that guy Rich Johnston heckled who was posing to small publishers as Art Adams, when today I find out about Travis T. Cowsill, storyboarder/director. It’s a Coroflot portfolio, which is part of Core77 magazine, and I think many of his samples are excellent- because they’re MINE.

The first one I saw was this…
    mine!

Which used to be found in the Old Parkerspace section of my site (as Colleen Coover pointed out, it’s still there), it’s from one of the Westwood DUNE games I worked on about eight years ago. At some point I stopped linking it, so I presume Travis T. was image searching for storyboards and found it. But hey, you can find things I still have in there, like this…

also mine

and THIS!

yep, that's me too

Which are part of sample Interman storyboards I had, easily found here.

Here’s one I’ve always been pretty proud of, a very wide panning shot.

Now sure, I almost never do storyboards anymore because I’m too busy writing, but it’s still my art, Travis T. More than mad, I’m just shocked that as with the Art Adams-guy, anyone would try to pass off stuff like this. The entertainment industry is still fairly small. So small that when you hit up an animation studio for work, you might want to check that their lead designer isn’t Chuck Wojtkiewicz, my longtime friend and old studio-mate.

Comments

Comment from jackmarlowe
    Time: December 18, 2008, 2:14 pm

I remind the Interman pages!!! The challenge of Van against the three was very cool. Poor elephant.

Comment from chukw
    Time: December 18, 2008, 2:35 pm

I admire a man who’s always ready to hoist up some asshole’s petard. No job for this weasel! I remember when you were drawing these very boards… goooood times!

Comment from Pj
    Time: December 18, 2008, 2:53 pm

Wow. Just … the audacity of some people. I mean, what if this guy DID get a job based on stolen drawings? What happens when he shows up with absolute SHITE?

Comment from David Hahn
    Time: December 18, 2008, 2:59 pm

I like how his name is really “Travesty Cows Ill” I see dude already took your work off his site. You write to him?

Time: December 18, 2008, 3:13 pm

I’m going to hire him to do the sequel to Interman.

Time: December 18, 2008, 3:14 pm

No, I’m pretty sure he’s related to the Cowsills family, whom music and TV fans will know as the inspiration for the Partridge Family.

Comment from David Hahn
    Time: December 18, 2008, 4:00 pm

Yeah, he even has a head shot. Just like them Cowsills. I preferred the Hudson Brothers, myself.

Comment from Craig
    Time: December 18, 2008, 4:30 pm

I have no talent for drawing or storyboards, but you, my friend have shown me the way to draw exactly like you or any of my favorite artists. Heck, with just a tad bit of ingenuity I’ll bet I can write like famous novelists as well!

Comment from Paul Tobin
    Time: December 18, 2008, 5:03 pm

If you can somehow parley this into getting all the rights to the Cowsill’s music, I hereby pledge my willingness to form a band and go on tour with you.

I mean, heck Jeff, I just looked at the Cowsill’s “Hair” video on youtube, the “meadow” version with Miles Reed singing, and while I don’t think either of us could pass as an actual Cowsill, there IS a lot of resemblance between you and Miles Reed.

In fact, our band name could be “Miles From the Cowsills.”

Let’s go for it!

Time: December 18, 2008, 5:17 pm

Well if we can get a big multicolored bus, then sure.

Comment from tom fowler
    Time: December 18, 2008, 6:58 pm

i’m with W. this guy sounds like a total petard.

Comment from Jeff Cannell
    Time: December 18, 2008, 9:49 pm

Does “Lifelock” cover artistic identity theft? ;)

Love the Cowsills song “Indian Lake”

Comment from Butch
    Time: December 19, 2008, 3:05 am

Seriously though, is there any way to get back to this guy? Maybe embarrass him over the net?

Grrr.

Comment from jackmarlowe
    Time: December 19, 2008, 4:09 am

If he used your work and of other artists how own creation, and no make recogniziment is a bad person and steal.

In my first comment i though that was a page to learn how make good storyboards and had the names of artist that make this.

Sorry for donĀ“t see first, Jeff.

Comment from Gettis
    Time: December 19, 2008, 5:28 am

I wonder how much of this kind of actually crap goes on and doesn’t get picked up on. I’ve found two different art students try to pass off the Dave McKean Rusdie piece I have on my site as their own over the past few years…
    -gettis

Comment from Dana
    Time: December 19, 2008, 7:02 am

Sadly, this happens all the time.

“Back in the day” art agents used to shuffle artists portfolio’s across my desk that had work mislabeled (work by not-so-good artist X when it was really by good-but-unknown Artist Y) or even work that was traced (hoping, I suppose, that nobody would be able to ID a time-lost John Byrne panel or a Dale Keown DragonRing/Force page sloppily redrawn by a south american high school student).

(So many Agent stories…)

As well, to me, the WORST part of portfolio review at cons was running across the over-17 folks who “homaged” their favorite artists stuff in every panel. Then would puff up their chests and deny the practice.

It is a small world. And NOBODY is more than 2 phone calls away to ANYONE in the industry.

Time: December 19, 2008, 7:12 am

And Dana is only ONE call away from everyone!

Comment from Steve Lieber
    Time: December 19, 2008, 9:20 pm

Parker’s only one call away, but you’ll have to leave a message because he left his phone in the car again.

Time: December 19, 2008, 11:00 pm

DAMN IT

Comment from Melony C.
    Time: December 21, 2008, 5:14 pm

I really hate thieves.

Comment from Dylan
    Time: December 21, 2008, 6:06 pm

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

That dude’s headshot is the douchiest headshot in douche headshot history.

Comment from gsekse
    Time: December 22, 2008, 5:50 am

He is screwed already. His email box will be full of nasty stuff and as soon as the google webcrawler indexes this page, poof, every time someone googles his name, here will be this page! Not good for someone looking for web related work.

Comment from Travis Cowsill
    Time: December 23, 2008, 11:09 am

Hi everyone,

I recently received a couple of emails regarding this situation from at least two concerned artists viewing my newly posted online protfolio site.

After speaking via email with one of them that was good enough to bring this situation to my attention, he also suggested I make my way here to explain what happend to those involved, certainly offer my sincerest apoliogies, as well as make known the immediate resolution(s)

I have enclosed in paste form the two emails regarding this situation (by me to one of the artists) in the hopes it should clear things up. But before I do that, please, to all those inadvertantly involved by the situation below, accept thos esincere apologies. Had I been more on top of what was transpiring on my business end, and not spread quite so thin, I would have caught this before it happened…

Mail number one- (My response to an affected Artist…)

(Email Heading)

Thank you-your head’s up regarding my portfolio files…

To whom it may concern,

Thank for the heads up. In answer to your question,

My asistant was assigned the task of going through my artwork files on my computer and inadvertantly pulled several of my reference files from artists works I had collected as such, and posted them. I am currently going through the files and deleting those files. I really, REALLY appreciate this being brought to my attention.

Thanks again,
    Travis T. Cowsill

Mail 2 of 2 ( in regards to the resolution as it pertains to the posted online works to the same Artist (as well as one other- the third Artist that contacted me could not be reached via email-so I hope he/she gets wind of this)…

(Heading of email) Last addendum regarding the notification of erronious works on my portfolio site…

Hi David(?)

I just wanted to quickly provide a final update regarding the deletion/adjustment of my files at the portfolio host site. I’ve gone through the entire site’s files and purged the reference works that were posted. I’ve also contacted my assistant whom I may need to suspend after discussing the matter with her later this afternoon. It was an honest mistake on her part, but one that, in this small industry of ours, can cause allot of turmoil. Especially where Artists blood sweat and tears are concerned regarding their personal/professional works.

In any event, I wanted to thank you again, and also to assure you that the type of unsavory character this situation pegged me as couldn’t be further from the truth, and that my apologies as well as updates regarding the purging of those files are going out to the couple of Artists that contacted me in the last 24 hours to let me know.

In any event, if you or anyone have any further questions, feel free to contact me anytime, and once again, thanks.

Had I not been contacted directly, I would not have known until after the holidays when the uploads to the site had been completed, and I was to review portfolio site for a final pass.

Happy and safe holidays to you and yours,

Travis

Travis T. Cowsill

Comment from Terri Nelson
    Time: December 24, 2008, 12:03 pm

“more on top of what was transpiring on my business end”

Dude. There is really nothing more I can add to that.

Comment from Martin Thomas
    Time: December 24, 2008, 4:00 pm

Damn assistants.

Comment from Matt Grigsby
    Time: December 24, 2008, 4:33 pm

Wow… This whole thing is quite a mess. I hope it gets cleared up Jeff! There are some snakes out there…

Comment from Melony C.
    Time: January 5, 2009, 6:56 pm

I emailed the Corofleet to see what they can do. They have emailed me back and they want me to email them links/info of what he stole. Give me an email and we can get his portfolio shutdown asap. I hate theft and am more than willing to help you out. Let me know what you want to do.

Comment from Travis Cowsill
    Time: January 14, 2009, 12:11 pm

To Mr. Parker, Melony C., and those that have become involved in this nightmare of a situation.

I posted the entry before the holidays above in an effort to report directly to the source on what exactly occurred and that led to 3 of my reference files of Artists’ works collected that inspire me (fan of) being mistakenly posted by my intern on my online portfolio site.

As I take this situation extremely seriously (that being the appearance of impropriety where pilfering other Artists blood sweat and tears are concerned), I from time to time check on the links (such as this) that were emailed to me in regard to the situation to make sure the circumstances of what transpired were clarified, and that all appropriate parties I was able to get word to got word.

Let me categorically state, as a professional of 20 years with MY OWN WORKS at stake in the same arena, and that have in the past been taken as well on my end, the posting of those 3 files were a mistake, and were not done by me. Now, that does not expunge me of a large degree of responsibility in terms of being more on top of the tasks I gave my intern. To the contrary. But it does not make me guilty of plagiarism.

I’ve tried at great length to contact Mr. Parker (an Artist I GREATLY admire) and will continue to do so to personally offer my apology. But to that affect, I have made the matter as clear as I can. This is what happened and I am as sorry for it as much as anybody could be. But, please everyone, you don’t know me as a human being. You don’t personally know my own ethics.

I am asking that anyone that would like to contact me regarding this issue to do so through my contact link at Carofleet. I will be happy to personally telephone them directly to discuss the matter in the hopes of appeasing anyone’s concerns of my name and character as a 38 year old Artist that’s managed to eek out a career for himself.

As stated above ( and restated here in response to Melony C’s post above-obviously someone very concerned over this and a friend of Mr. Parkers’, ) The very moment I was alerted by at least two concerned Artists that frequent these circles, I personally located and removed the objectionable files from the online site.

I will also be contacting the host of Carofleet to let them know the outcome of what’s transpired.

Please once again accept my apologies, and please also allow for the consideration that I had no idea what was being posted at the moment it was posted, but that I immediately rectified the situation.

This doesn’t deserve ruining 20 years of my career.

That’s all I ask of you.

Travis Cowsill

Time: January 14, 2009, 12:32 pm

Travis called, apologized, and there’s no need to keep beating the horse. Comments closed!

Comment from Travis Cowsill
    Time: January 14, 2009, 12:33 pm

Thanks again for the phone call Jeff. I, again, really appreciate your graciousness and for allowing me to clear this up with you personally.

Onward and upward.