• The Blog Lab

I did that

Jim Ottaviani, esteemed publisher of science comics as GT-Labs (and now writer for other publishers such as TOR), is finally wading into the webloggy waters with his new blog that appears to have no proper name. Go see how like other new bloggers he’s horribly self-conscious about starting one, even though it’s practically expected of every writer now. Even better, he had to code the thing himself because he’s a BizarroLuddite, one who doesn’t trust any technology he didn’t design. I look forward to this because I know Jim will be talking about science and comics, and I like those things. Plus his name starts with an O so it’s got momentum now. Though he needs to use that swank microscope logo DESIGNED BY ME more (I’m an EgoLogoist, one who doesn’t trust logos I didn’t design).

Comments

Comment from Jim O.
    Time: November 9, 2008, 2:02 pm

I didn’t use the logo — which I still think is hotter than July and slicker than…pick your own earthy metaphor — because you said you’d kill me if I ever reversed it out onto a black background. And I love life. It’ll work its way into many a post, don’t worry.

And to be fair, I didn’t hand code that thing. I’ve made some tweaks, but it’s mostly based on a very fine Movable Type template called Mid-Century — hello Luddites — designed by Jim Ramsey.

Time: November 9, 2008, 2:59 pm

A white microscope? That just wouldn’t be right! Just leave a white box around it when you have black backgrounds. And name your blog so we know what to call it!

Comment from Matt Wieringo
    Time: November 10, 2008, 1:10 pm

Or, Parker could take a page out of the G.E. graphics standards book and create a “lights on” and “lights off” version of the logo for you. Voila!

Time: November 10, 2008, 1:19 pm

Actually, you’re right- I could do a gray version of that, or a color.

Comment from Jim O.
    Time: November 10, 2008, 6:44 pm

Only a fool would say no to a lights on/lights off version. I’ve used the logo in color but only dark ones…you know, like on your ball cap. Betcha you’re too busy. As for names, I’ve tried to come up with something that is clever but not so clever I’ll wince in a week or two. So far, no luck. Maybe I should run a contest.

Time: November 10, 2008, 7:01 pm

Yes! A contest always builds excitement. But you can still reserve the right to not use the name as long as the winner gets some free books. Or a teleportation poster.