• Congratulations, President-Elect Obama.

yep he did

What a night. I’m so ridiculously, unabashedly proud of America right now I can’t tell you. Maybe our motto should be, as would also apply to our stalled entry into World War 2, “We’ll screw up and drop the ball most of the time, but right at the very last minute of the eleventh hour when it’s almost too late- we’ll do the right thing!”

When the camera panned around the crowd in Chicago waiting for Obama to come out for his speech, it was hard to not be struck by the racial mix of the supporters, and how great it looked. Also so many new voters, and many old and likely disillusioned ones up until this moment. I understood it in an academic sense, but it wasn’t until seeing so many black voters’ emotion-filled faces that I really got how much this meant to them, whereas to me it had always been “finally, a smart man back in office!”. They were at last seeing someone who made the whole process matter, who connected them to it like never before. And I’m going to be optimistic and say that now we’ve got a whole new wave of young people and minorities who, having seen that they can make a difference, will continue to do that. If all these new voters keep focusing on the workings of this country and participate in local government too, we can work our way out of this godawful mess that the Bush administration tunneled us into.

I guess what I’m most grateful for is that some pillar of cynicism that has built up in me for most of this decade started cracking during this election, and now it’s crumbled. Yes, our economic shambles and unnecessary war in Iraq won’t magically go away, but tonight I’m looking forward with a new energy to 2009.

Comments

Comment from Matt Wieringo
    Time: November 5, 2008, 9:27 am

You just put into words everything I’ve been feeling. You should be a writer.

Comment from Paul Tobin
    Time: November 5, 2008, 9:43 am

I feel pretty gosh darn good about the whole election. I wasn’t aware of how hard it would hit me, though. At one point, the phrase “President Elect Obama,” came on screen, and I looked at that, and started to tear up in sheer damned joy, realizing that America had finally done the obvious thing, and put somebody who is smart and cares about the country into the our highest office.

And, yes, it’s sad that America had to be nearly leveled in order for us to do the right thing, but the bottom line is that now I actually have some hope for the country, and the world.

Comment from Pj Perez
    Time: November 5, 2008, 9:44 am

After the 2000 election, I was so disillusioned that I gave up on participating in the process in 2004. No one reinvigorated me until Obama came along. He was the first candidate I supported by putting my money where my mouth is, and after last night, well, obviously we are all vindicated.

I was at the Nevada Democratic Party election bash in Las Vegas during the results-watching, and it was an amazing experience. The diversity of the crowd was mind-blowing, and their sheer exuberance was inspiring. I swear, when I walked to the office this morning, the sky was clearer, the trees were greener and the air was filled with a strange smell — that of change. And hope.

Time: November 5, 2008, 9:51 am

It’s such an experience going out and about in Portland today- everyone is beaming and can’t wait to talk to each other. I feel sorry for people in more divided areas who probably can’t just be happy today without walking into a minefield at work.

I was struck by McCain during his concession- he seemed snapped back to his more reasonable self of a couple years ago, and appeared to be surprised at what hateful sore losers his supporters in the room were. What did he think they were going to be like after he and Palin threw “dangerous!” and “terrorist” and every other fear tactic at them in the last half of the election season?

Time: November 5, 2008, 10:10 am

It will be a day long remembered. Our long national nightmare is nearly over. Now the long wait til he’s sworn in.

Last night’s returns were amazing. The fact that Obama took Ohio and Florida after so many other states made it obvious early on that he was going to win. There was just no way it would go the other direction. Not once the West Coast came up. Now if only the vote for gay rights had been as positive.

But yeah, Obama’s victory speech last night was electric. It’s so nice to have a well spoken and intelligent man in charge again. Instead of Dubya. Also nice to see how the rest of the world was overly positive about the change in direction. It really is looking up for America and the World as a whole.

And agreed about McCain, Jeff. He seemed to spring back and I regained my respect for him when he chastized the crowd for the round of boos at the mention of Obama winning. I still wouldn’t vote for him, but it was a nice change.

And yeah, the less said about Palin the better. Though as much as she annoyed and angered me… the robocalls that went out to Cuban-Americans from the RNC angered me anymore. Telling them to get out and vote because Castro had endorsed Obama, and they need to stop Castro getting what he wants. Ugh, just disgusting in my opinion.

Comment from Marc Hodge
    Time: November 5, 2008, 10:15 am

This was just an unbelievable moment when it was announced that Barack Obama was the new President Elect. It was almost surreal. In my life time, I never thought that I would see a person of color elected as President of the United States. My parents always encouraged me to be the best I could be, but to me, there were some things that seemed so unattainable. I could be an artist, a CEO, but never would I think that President would be possible.
    Like so many in that Chicago crowd and around the world, I teared up. I thought about how great it is that my Grandmother who is 96 was able to witness this moment. I also thought about those family members,friends and individuals who passed before they had a chance to witness History. Last night was the best birthday present I could hope for.

Marc

Time: November 5, 2008, 10:19 am

Speaking of Grandmothers….

It’s a shame that Obama’s Grandmother died the night before this historic event. :(

Time: November 5, 2008, 10:45 am

Marc, thanks for sharing that about your grandmother, I can only imagine how she must have felt. And hey, I’m still tearing up today! I didn’t know that was your birthday, that just adds an extra layer of wonderful to it all.

Comment from Jeremy Colwell
    Time: November 5, 2008, 4:34 pm

I was so happy last night. I couldn’t find words to really express it, but thanks to people like you I don’t need to.

Time: November 5, 2008, 4:38 pm

That’s right Jeremy, I’ll do the talking for you.

Blah-blahdy blah blah….

Comment from odessasteps magazine
    Time: November 5, 2008, 10:12 pm

“I feel sorry for people in more divided areas who probably can’t just be happy today without walking into a minefield at work. ”

Even though MD went blue, most of the state is actually red. And when you get to the more rural areas, it’s not wise to broadcast any contrarian socio-politcal views.

People are work (and I see very few of them at night) were fairly reserved, although I did hear a few “Be careful what you wish for” sentiments.