• More Choices: Agents of Atlas

Not really a choice since I tend to go ahead and do what I feel will work best anyway, but just wanted to hear some feedback. As I’m now digging into the first issue of the new ATLAS series, I was wondering if any of you who plan to follow it will be up for some 50′s era stories set inside the modern day storylines. I feel it will help further establish their identity as starting in another era, and- I just like to write period stuff. There is always the problem that some comics readers will be mainly wanting the stuff that ties into the active Marvel Universe, I’m hoping to give them both. Thoughts?

Comments

Comment from Michael Hoskin
    Time: October 10, 2008, 6:59 am

Would these 1950s stories have thematic or plot-based connections to what transpires in the modern day segments?

Comment from Tom
    Time: October 10, 2008, 7:03 am

I’m on board. Parallel story arcs can be very compelling, and who doesn’t like period pieces (especially the costumes!)

Comment from David Oakes
    Time: October 10, 2008, 7:06 am

I don’t think you can do AoA without the 1950s. And any real fan of the characters will want to see more of them in their mileiu. And any casual fan will hate it, think it is not part of the “real” Marvel Universe, call you a pathetic loser hack on all the message boards, and immediately drop the series for something with an X in the title.

Damned if you do, damned if you don’t. All you can do is write the comics you want to write, and hope the fanboys don’t give Quesada a reason to bring in Jeph Loeb to write “Agents of Red/Agents of Green” starring 3D-Man as a kick-ass Commie Buster taking it to Georgia.

Comment from Chris Roberson
    Time: October 10, 2008, 7:06 am

“…I was wondering if any of you who plan to follow it will be up for some 50’s era stories set inside the modern day storylines.”

Yes, please!

Comment from Brett
    Time: October 10, 2008, 7:10 am

I enjoyed Agents as a fringe element of the Marvel universe, something not like the usual superteams running around. That is a hard thing to carry on if you integrate too closely with the rest of Marvel U to regularly. An element I enjoyed was Shield, who always know what everyone is up to, didn’t know what the Agents were doing. That was refreshing and set them apart, I am all for mixing and trust you as a writer to get it done in a way that still keeps the Agent’s flavor, but that is the hot wire I would like to see watched. As for the 50s stuff, sounds great. Looking forward to seeing what you cook up this time.

Comment from Rich
    Time: October 10, 2008, 7:15 am

I’d be up for flashbacks. I guess there’s two ways you could go – in-story, much like the Hercules mythology-flashbacks, which reveal more about the characters or illustrate why they make the decisions they do, or ‘Times Past’ style flashbacks like Starman used to utilise.

Either way is good for me, but I kind of prefer the latter, I think, especially if they impact or shed light on events in the present.

Time: October 10, 2008, 7:16 am

Michael, yes.

So far, I’m seeing green lights for lots of Marvel Boy leg!

Comment from Johnny B
    Time: October 10, 2008, 7:16 am

I’d prefer 50′s stuff at the expense of the modern, myself, but I’m probably in the minority there…

Comment from Rich
    Time: October 10, 2008, 7:42 am

I’d be all for some period stories, but I’m a sucker for books like that. I do hope it doesn’t turn off readers who just want to see books with a “current events in the MU” flavor though. I can imagine the AoA series structured like Robinson’s Starman with modern stories and the occasional flashback-type issue.

Comment from bp
    Time: October 10, 2008, 8:03 am

I’d be down for that. Really looking forward to this series.

Comment from Michael Hoskin
    Time: October 10, 2008, 10:13 am

” And any casual fan will hate it, think it is not part of the “real” Marvel Universe, call you a pathetic loser hack on all the message boards, and immediately drop the series for something with an X in the title.”

That was Jeff’s genius plan with X-Men: First Class – everyone who dropped the series went to get an X title, only to find themselves stuck with First Class again. A devilish temporal loop.

“Michael, yes.”

I’m there regardless, but as a fan this makes me very happy.

Comment from Chris McAree
    Time: October 10, 2008, 10:30 am

Is there no escape! It’s like those “Choose Your Own Adventure” books that keep bringing you back to the same paragraphs.

I keep trying to leave this website, type “X-men” into Google…and here I am again. Damn you Jeff Parker and your fiendish temporal loop incorporating intelligence!

Oh, and I’m all on for some retro references in Agents of Atlas!

Comment from jackmarlowe
    Time: October 10, 2008, 2:47 pm

For me it´s okay the script that include 50´ stories. In the limited you included a short flashback with all the characters that make to effects: information and sensation to know more of his pasts.
    The stories with Bob, Namora and Jimmy will be really great: they are people of the team out of reallity and lost very things. And Mr Lao, please i like to see more of his life and his plans with Atlas Foundation.

The solution with Marvel Universe:
    1 Make autoconclusive episodes after sagas. For example: Spider-man Family 4 with the first meeting with our friendly neighborhood will be the episode tie-in.

2 Include the Marvel Universe in sagas but not eclipsated AOA. If can be that stories be self-contained with no crossovers (I see Namora in WWH and a few covers and previews in Incredible Hercules).

I like your two option: past and present, and follow them. The original miniseries mixed this formula and went excellent with good balance.

It´s possible include the script Menace from space when you write in temple of Atlas with Mr. Lao. It be possibilty to publish script complete? or mixed with images? Or make the comic-book how complement in AOA ongoing?

Do you write a new blog story for the new series?

PD: Can you say who is the penciller? And cover artist? And the month of series launch? :)

Thanks Jeff.
    Publicity for the presidentials: vote this candidate or the gorilla hit you in the head!! :)

Time: October 10, 2008, 3:11 pm

Felipe, I was considering doing a comics version of Menace From Space- I didn’t know if people might feel cheated since there was already a version to read.

Carlo Pagulayan is the penciller! February is the launch.

Comment from Mike Walker
    Time: October 10, 2008, 6:36 pm

That sounds excellent.

Comment from Mafus
    Time: October 11, 2008, 7:16 am

Bring on the ’50s, dude. Anything NOT tying into modern continuity will hold my interest.

Comment from Matt M.
    Time: October 11, 2008, 7:31 am

It’s all fiction, man. Just make it good.

Comment from Sandy Jarrell
    Time: October 11, 2008, 9:12 am

I’m having little daydreams about Bill Everett drawing AoA flashbacks.

Time: October 11, 2008, 10:58 am

I’m all for some 50′s stories and flashback stuff.

Even if it’s just exploring where the characters were during the period between their time together and their reunion. Since we saw Gorilla Man for instance living in a tree house in the jungle in X-Men: First Class. What tempted him back to the human world and got him involved with SHIELD. That’s stuff I’d like to see explored.

As for Menace From Space…. how about doing that as a mini-series or something? Seperate from the main book. I’m not sure Marvel would go for it, but who knows.

Comment from Adam Hutch
    Time: October 11, 2008, 12:00 pm

Darn tootin’! I was actually hoping you’d have some flashbacks to the 50s.

Comment from Butch
    Time: October 11, 2008, 5:26 pm

Bring it on.

I would much rather have a 50′s story running parallel to a modern story rather than an entire arc set in the 50′s. Co-running stories seem to fit the book.

I do think that because space is at such a premium, that the past story shouldn’t get as much time as the modern one.

Maybe Carlo could get the great Alfredo Alcala to do some old-school cover variant! Then again, Alcala wa so ahead of his time that it really wouldn’t look retro lol.

And I wanna see the original Yellow Claw again. =) He got so interesting in issue 6 and then– GULP!!!

Feb is soooo far away!

Comment from Dana
    Time: October 12, 2008, 9:11 am

I *think* that Talking Gorillas sporting Semi-Automatic weapons makes it okay for you to do any d*mn thing that pops into your head.

Time: October 12, 2008, 9:47 am

Dana makes a persuasive argument.

Comment from Gregory
    Time: October 12, 2008, 2:21 pm

Planetary. I don’t think you need to go any farther than that book to see how well-done and integral flashbacks can be. Of course you could catch all sorts of flack from doing them, but I feel both are very different (therefore very similar) books, and the tone would likely be altogether different. Right now Agents of Atlas is the closest thing Marvel has to a “Legacy” book like JSA, especially in the sense that you have a history that’s only JUST beginning to be mined, like in The Twelve. Frankly there is a lot of cool stuff in the 50s to shine a light on, and even the hokey, oddball stuff is part of the charm here. Hopefully I haven’t just reiterated anyone’s ideas here, I meant to carefully and competently review everyone’s posts, but then, head mushy. Eyes crossy. Must type.

Comment from Baddie
    Time: October 12, 2008, 8:47 pm

I think everything I want to say has already been said so… um… GO JEFF!

Comment from Dana
    Time: October 13, 2008, 6:43 am

Save convention and the confines of (overly) linear narrative for the other team books.

Have we learned nothing from (the good seasons of) Lost?

It’s comics.
    The mad-cap is only limited by what you can write and Carlo can draw.

Comment from Michael May
    Time: October 13, 2008, 6:18 pm

An unreserved “Yes, Please!” to the flashbacks and period tales. I’ll love reading them as much as you love writing them.

Comment from Michael Hoskin
    Time: October 14, 2008, 7:06 am

Pags?! Oh, bring it now!

Comment from Tim O’Shea
    Time: October 15, 2008, 2:05 am

A little late to the comment thread, and with 28 reactions, I think you have your answer already. But honestly, when you write an understated line like: “I just like to write period stuff.” We would be insane to encourage you NOT to do what you like.

Comment from Tom Spurgeon
    Time: October 17, 2008, 1:09 pm

I think you should do a story of them all as little kids set in the 1930s in Walt Kelly’s Our Gang style.

Time: October 17, 2008, 1:12 pm

DONE.

Time: October 17, 2008, 1:35 pm

So it’s gonna be the A-Babies?

I actually would love to see Jeff’s take on Mojo.

Shame that Mojo can’t make an appearance in X-Men: First Class.

Comment from Rich
    Time: October 22, 2008, 9:47 am

I’m all for the 50′s era stuff worked in, Parker. It’s part of what will make it stand out from what else is out there, plus, it’ll be a hoot for you to write, and therefore more fun for us to read. That there’s what it is…

Comment from Jon Dorman
    Time: October 23, 2008, 12:26 pm

I know I’m a bit late with the feedback here, but as somebody who is committed to reading that series I’d think that flashback stories could be pretty hep.

Comment from Josh
    Time: October 24, 2008, 8:20 pm

I’m all for 50′s stories…but, I would also like to see what Jimmy Woo was up to from the time the G-Men broke up until Agents of Atlas miniseries…I know he was with SHIELD, but what led up to him creating a “secret strike force of disenfranchised and problem agents”. Was he into anything else that might be shady? How would 50s Jimmy, who has no memory of any of this, deal with it?

Comment from Mike Jozic
    Time: October 24, 2008, 11:35 pm

Jeff, I’m with Spurgeon. I’d love to have that version/story see the light of day. Anything we could throw atcha as incentive? ;)

And really, you have 50+ years of Marvel (and real) history to play with. Have fun, follow the muse and we’ll be there.

Comment from Doug R
    Time: November 2, 2008, 11:18 am

I vote for doing what you did in the first series, which was mix both time periods.

Comment from Gavin
    Time: November 4, 2008, 2:49 pm

I’d love to see a blend of older stories and newer stories. As I am particularly fond of Namora, too many flashback stories will leave her out, and that is disappointing to me, but flashback stories also open up a lot of possibilities.

I’d particularly love to see flashback stories with cameos from other heroes of the era. Whether they’re heroes retconned into the 50s, such as Comet or (dare I hope) 3-D Man, or characters printed back in the day, such as Jann of the Jungle or Man-Oo, I’d love to see stories with crossovers.

Regardless, as long as you continue to tell great stories, I’ll be collecting every issue you write with these characters.

Comment from kevin patterson
    Time: November 18, 2008, 12:36 pm

Yes, yes, yes. The cool thing about Atlas is its grounding in the 50′s, what would be interesting is a balance like James Robinson Starman flashbacks and other devices in that wonderful series that helped give it a sense of place (legacy) while moving forward with ground-breaking present-day stories. The other reference to Planetary from another reader also spot on; I think Atlas has more of a sense of 50′s fun (dragons?) but Starman and Planetary are excellent touchpoints as well as what Busiek did briefly with them as 50′s Avengers. And put Venus back in her 50′s costume, BTW.