• A Poll! A Choice!

I’ve been wanting to do a poll for some time, and here it finally is, to test the waters. A very simple one for you Americans out there, pertaining to this election thing we have coming up in a few weeks. Not asking how you will vote, just simply… can you?
    [poll id="2"]

Because in most states, you still have time to register. I’m just sayin’. I’m also interested to see how active the readership here is.

Comments

Comment from Keith Chan
    Time: October 7, 2008, 4:52 pm

Thx Tony

Comment from Pj Perez
    Time: October 7, 2008, 5:58 pm

100 percent. That’s impressive.

Comment from Jason
    Time: October 7, 2008, 6:31 pm

Most impressive. FYI, if you live in Illinois, today was the last day for registration, but you have a “grace period” until Oct. 21st to register, but you must vote right there when you register.

Time: October 7, 2008, 6:59 pm

Unfortunately, I just left one of the biggest battleground states for one that’s solidly in the tank for Obama.

Time: October 7, 2008, 7:11 pm

I know, I thought of reassessing my NC status just for the election, because Oregon is in the clear.

HEY my bias is showing! Dang it.

Comment from kjchen
    Time: October 8, 2008, 3:28 am

You might want to get on that NC thing pronto, Parker. A cursory lawn sign inspection of my neighborhood yields two signs for McCain, zero signs for Obama, and three signs for For Sale.

Time: October 8, 2008, 4:33 am

It’s hard to beat Sale in NC, he’s got a huge grass roots following!

Comment from Chris McAree
    Time: October 8, 2008, 4:43 am

Anyone feel like taking the time to explain to an interested Irishman why voting is done state-by-state rather than just treating the USA as one huge constituency and thus giving equal power to each individual voter?

Time: October 8, 2008, 5:06 am

Chris, we haven’t caught up to this whole 21st Century thing, and apparently prefer to hang with the method established back in the frontier days when we had to trust some guy to tell us what folks in the hills were voting for.

If someone else would like to explain the Electoral College without oversimplifying, feel free!

Comment from Michael Hoskin
    Time: October 8, 2008, 7:16 am

This experiment won’t tell you anything about your international readership though, will it?

Although I am more interested in your election than my own country’s…

Time: October 8, 2008, 8:43 am

Hey, I’m getting to you, Canada. Just you wait.

Comment from Paul Tobin
    Time: October 8, 2008, 9:13 am

I’m so eager to vote that I couldn’t resist this poll ABOUT voting. How’s that?

Time: October 8, 2008, 9:14 am

They are like little warm ups.

Comment from Jeremy Colwell
    Time: October 8, 2008, 10:03 am

So far a blow out in your poll, Jeff. Hooray for democracy! Like Paul, I can’t wait to vote. Hopefully after than, I can stop watching MSNBC all day and get more work done. :(

Time: October 8, 2008, 10:08 am

The other thing to remember folks is that there’s more than one position up for grabs this year. Most people are going to walk into the booth, mark down their choice for president, look at the rest of the names confusedly, and mark the rest of their ballot at random (or straight-ticket). People have the biggest say in local elections, and yet many, especially young people, don’t know about the issues. Also, voting straight ticket doesn’t always work, especially in small towns, where candidates will switch parties just to have the chance to fill an open slot.

Get smart — yes, about the national issues, but also those in your own backyard. (Though I’m probably preaching to the choir here.)

Comment from Jeremy Colwell
    Time: October 8, 2008, 10:15 am

Commoncraft (they’re from NC, too!) does a good job of explaining the process. http://www.commoncraft.com/election

For a more retro feel there is Schoolhouse Rock: Electoral College

Comment from zailo
    Time: October 8, 2008, 9:32 pm

If McCain/ Palin wins it will be the second time a Vice-President with a cute tush has been in ofice.
    …You tricked me into saying that.

Comment from Matt Wieringo
    Time: October 9, 2008, 12:21 pm

As I enter the polls each election, I like leaning toward any conservative-looking dude coming out and saying, “I’m about to cancel out your vote.”

Too bad, here in Virginia, I’d have to cancel out thousands of other votes to make a difference. Damn Electoral College!

Time: October 9, 2008, 12:36 pm

Matt, you’re in a BATTLEGROUND!!!

Comment from Chris McAree
    Time: October 10, 2008, 10:37 am

Thanks Jeff and Jeremy for explaining all about Electoral Schools.

I want to be careful here that I don’t come across as criticizing another country’s electoral procedures given Ireland’s history of gerrymandering, dodgy electronic voting systems and “Vote early, Vote often,” philosophies, but is there no general groundswell of feeling in the States towards removing electoral schools, and embracing a single constituency for Presidential Elections?

Time: October 10, 2008, 10:57 am

There is, and I have a feeling it will finally come up as a real movement after the elections are over.