• “Sure, sure…”

I usually think we make way too much of actors because we often conflate them with roles they played, essentially treating Ed Harris like he was the first man to orbit the Earth instead of the one who gave us the intolerable biopic Pollack. But Paul Newman really did live up to the hype. He’s not frozen in time at Cool Hand Luke because he did great work in every decade he lived. I always particularly appreciate him as Sid Mussberger in The Hudsucker Proxy, not afraid to play comically despicable. I also love that the Pixar team appropriately got him to play a race car in Cars. And though he likely didn’t concoct the ingredients personally (or did he?), his Family Italian dressing is something I always have to have in my fridge.

Paul, you were the real thing!

Comments

Comment from =s=
    Time: September 28, 2008, 1:08 pm

He was the last guy who really was able to speak his mind and people respected him for that.

=s=

Comment from Butch
    Time: September 28, 2008, 4:59 pm

Amen! The man was the old-school kinda cool. The guy was a legend before he even got to 40.

Comment from Zack Smith
    Time: September 28, 2008, 6:40 pm

I’m all about HUD. What a great, fearless performance.

He never stopped challenging himself, right to the end. And that dressing’s mighty tasty!

“Oh no, the corn! Paul Newman’s gonna have my legs broke!”

Comment from Matt Wieringo
    Time: September 29, 2008, 6:01 am

They don’t make them like Paul Newman anymore. Time to take a break from the Clint Eastwood movies for a while and go watch Cool Hand Luke and Butch and Sundance.

Comment from Sandy Jarrell
    Time: September 29, 2008, 9:48 am

Great line, even better delivery: “Was that floating like a Cadillac or stinging like a Beamer? I’m confused”.
    Raymond calls Newman’s Ranch Dressing “Doc Sauce”.

Time: September 29, 2008, 9:58 am

And now I’M going to refer to it as Doc Sauce! That kid’s good.

Comment from Chris McAree
    Time: October 1, 2008, 10:36 am

Minnesota Fats: I quit, Eddie. I can’t beat you…

Still love “The Hustler,” after all these years.

Surprised no one ever mentions Hombre though. An underrated little gem.

Comment from Patrick Hulman
    Time: October 1, 2008, 1:13 pm

i wish he made more movies with redford. BC&tSK and the sting were not enough.

i like him in absence of malice and the verdict.

Nobody can eat fifty eggs.

Time: October 1, 2008, 2:22 pm

I agree with all the following statements, especially on the eggs.

Comment from Chris McAree
    Time: October 2, 2008, 4:42 am

Following statements eh! Can’t resist.

Ahem…Jeff Parker will attempt to eat 50 eggs, whole and entire in the public venue of his choice before the years end.

(think that’s sufficiently vague to allow an imaginative Get-out-of Jail-Free card).