• IDW, Where My Scorchy Sickles

Does anyone know what’s up with the Scorchy Smith And The Art Of Noel Sickles book from IDW? I pre-ordered it from Amazon (for a sweet discount), but it seems to keep being rescheduled. My recent Amazon email said “we don’t know where that book is” and was followed in two days with “We now have delivery date(s) for the order you placed on April 30 2008 22:32 PDT:

Noel Sickles (Author) “Scorchy Smith And The Art Of Noel Sickles”
    [Hardcover]
    Estimated arrival date: 09/12/2008 – 09/26/2008″

I really want this book! But did anybody besides me, Steve Lieber and Jesse Hamm order it?
    Oh well, at least we now have the best origin summary ever done…

Comments

Comment from Ray Cornwall
    Time: August 11, 2008, 12:38 pm

I also pre-ordered it, and have gotten ye old flood of emails about the delivery date. At this point, I think it’s just Amazon being overprotective with the pre-order. I get these sorts of emails on other pre-orders from them, so I’m confident we’ll get it eventually.

Also, on that sweet discount- if you originally got a 5% pre-order discount (a program that’s since been discontinued by Amazon), make sure you’re still getting that discount. I’ve noticed that, any time a pre-order delivery date got pushed out and I was asked to approve the new date, the pre-order discount went away! I had a talk with a senior customer service rep at Amazon, and they admit this is a problem (which is probably why they discontinued the program!). They’ll fix it, but you have to keep at them. This isn’t related to the Gold Box discount or the normal 30%+ discount- this was a separate program.

Yes, I spent too much time managing my Amazon pre-orders. :)

Can’t wait for the book. In the meantime go check out the Little Orphan Annie book from IDW. Kickass comics. No, seriously.

Comment from Matt M.
    Time: August 11, 2008, 1:05 pm

The only origin story that’s better done was Morrison’s one-pager for ALL-STAR SUPERMAN, which was four images and eight words.

For single panels, though, it’s a PERISCOPE WIN!

Time: August 11, 2008, 1:08 pm

Damn Ray, you are THE AMAZONIAN! Good to know you’re in there with me.

Matt, the dialoguing there was actually editor Nate Cosby, who is often hailed as the King of the Recap Page in the Marvel Offices now.

Comment from Brandon Schatz
    Time: August 11, 2008, 1:14 pm

IDW hasn’t printed the book yet – but I know the Terry and the Pirate books they’ve been doing end up shipping a good 3 to 5 months after the solicitated date, soo… it’ll show up eventually.

Time: August 11, 2008, 1:36 pm

That’s true. The Terry books have been well worth the wait, and I have the three they’ve done so far.

Comment from Matt M.
    Time: August 11, 2008, 2:18 pm

I wonder if Mr. Cosby was knowingly channeling Morrison with that.

Whichever way, genius.

Comment from Tom Spurgeon
    Time: August 12, 2008, 2:14 am

They just mailed me a copy, so they must have them around. It’s a very nice book.

Comment from Larry Shell
    Time: August 13, 2008, 10:26 am

I just got my comp copy yesterday but they literally got to the IDW offices end of last week, they’re certainly not sitting on them. The books are printed overseas and shipped by boat, that alone adds to the wait time. I don’t know how long it takes for Diamond to receive their shipment but I would assume comic book stores will be getting it within a few weeks. Lord knows how Amazon.com gets theirs so that will likely take longer. I don’t know who distributes IDW to the book trade. I won’t ruin it for anyone but the book is worth the wait, it is absolutely phenomimal! If this doesn’t win an award, then they’re fixed!

Comment from patrick hulman
    Time: August 13, 2008, 10:49 am

maybe it’s me, but i don’t like “Uncle died”. I think “Uncle killed” or “Uncle murdered” would have been better as it goes to his motivation of “Fight Crime”.
    Maybe it’s because I would associate “died” as something natural, as opposed to “killed” where it was an outside infulence on the death.

Time: August 13, 2008, 11:08 am

Ah, thanks Tom and Larry. Now I can make a steeple of my fingers and lean back in my chair, confident that I will be getting that book. I LOVE Sickles work, and his time on Terry is without equal.

Pat, I could not figure out what you were talking about because I was thinking about the Scorchy book first. I see your point, but I like the brevity of “died.”

Comment from Ray Cornwall
    Time: August 13, 2008, 12:13 pm

I’m willing to wait for the IDW books; they’re just that good. I know they got knocked a bit for cribbing the Dick Tracy design off of Peanuts, but the books are just wonderful. No knock against Checker, but I wish that IDW was handling the Steve Canyon books too…

Comment from Brandon Schatz
    Time: August 16, 2008, 12:17 pm

Scorchy Smith is on the invoice for this week – exciting!!

Comment from Chris Ferguson
    Time: August 20, 2008, 11:13 am

We got it in today and it looks fantastic! Can’t wait to read it.

Comment from Ray Cornwall
    Time: August 22, 2008, 12:23 pm

Amazon finally charged my card today, so I expect it to ship over the weekend. I have Prime, so I’ll have it by Wednesday. Hope you get yours soon, Jeff!