• What’s With All The Beheadings Already

It was horrific enough with the lunatic in Canada on the bus the other day.

And then this weekend, a guy in Greece did it to his girlfriend and dog.

What the hell? Is the collective unconscious being hit with a meme of medieval violence lately? I have to say in the case of the Canadian incident, it’s been mentioned that they were showing Legend of Zorro on the Greyhound bus when that happened. I haven’t seen anyone bring this up, but there is a decapitated head of Zorro’s brother in the movie. I remember it because it was such a goofy, out of place scene where the villain offers wine from this jar with the head in it. Not that I ever want entertainment taking the blame, but I couldn’t help but remember it.

*Paul Storrie used his Zorro-Fu to correct this: See comments. Still, this decapitating could halt.

So anyway, knock it off with all the head-cutting you psychos.

Comments

Comment from Craig
    Time: August 5, 2008, 4:12 pm

Parker –

Whew! Thanks I needed that. I read your post just in time. Who knows what might have happened?

Comment from Paul
    Time: August 5, 2008, 6:41 pm

How bad is it when, faced by a discussion of two brutal such acts, I still feel the need to point out that the head in the jar was in The Mask of Zorro, the first Banderas pic? Legend was the second one.

Time: August 5, 2008, 7:14 pm

You’re right! Storrie, you don’t just talk the geek talk, you WALK THE WALK.

Let us salute.

Comment from Dana
    Time: August 6, 2008, 6:22 am

Don’t forget the Australian beheading — most gruesome of the headless hat trick. The crime was in ’05, but the sentencing went down a few weeks ago:

“James Patrick Roughan, 28, has been jailed for life over the brutal murder of a teenager who was stabbed 133 times and decapitated before his head was used as a bowling ball.”

Time: August 6, 2008, 9:56 am

Whew. Wasn’t there still another beheading case from around the same time, in Europe somewhere? I’m just going to make a button: What’s With All The Beheading.

Comment from Paul
    Time: August 6, 2008, 12:43 pm

Maybe they’re all Highlander fans???

Time: August 19, 2008, 3:53 am

Not sure if wine was ever served from the jar, but the beheading and subsequent display of the head of Joaquin Murieta (the Robin Hood of California — somehow retconned into being Zorro’s brother) was real: