• Nowlan Can Make Anyone Look Great

oh yeah

I was going to save this for a while, but since Nate Cosby just blogged it on the Marvel site showing the process, I guess I can go ahead and put it up. This is the cover to the upcoming Giant Size X-Men First Class, which is our Halloween special. They led me to draw it with the best carrot, that the legendary Kevin Nowlan could ink it! So after sweating profusely for a bit, I knuckled down and came up with a swamp setting. As you’ll see from Nate’s blog, Kevin totally saved my crappy Marvel Girl face and greatly improved Angel’s. This is the kind of thing that does make me get positive about drawing again-

as long as Kevin Nowlan inks everything.

Comments

Comment from Marc Hodge
    Time: July 7, 2008, 12:59 pm

Jeff,

Nowlan is definitely awesome, and I always enjoy whenever he does work (That is definitely an incentive to attack the drawing board.). However; that is a nice drawing (great looking frog)you’ve done Jeff. Very solid composition and it tells a story. Looking forward to more drawing from you.

Marc

Comment from Pj
    Time: July 7, 2008, 1:14 pm

I love Nowlan, both inking and penciling, but don’t sell yourself short — I actually did like your Marvel Girl face a little better (Nowlan made it look a little flat, but that’s part of his style)…

Comment from Kevin Church
    Time: July 7, 2008, 1:36 pm

Aw, Parker, *I* like your art! Isn’t that enough to keep you from that ledge?

Comment from Bret
    Time: July 7, 2008, 1:42 pm

Jeff–that cover is so hot, I had to splash spf 30 on my eyes after staring at it.

Time: July 7, 2008, 2:12 pm

Thanks fellers. I’ll keep working my way back into this ‘drawring’ thing then!

Comment from Patman
    Time: July 7, 2008, 4:23 pm

2 Thumbs Up on that cover, Parker! You really show see what it’d take for Nowlan to be your personal inker…

Comment from Jeff Cannell
    Time: July 7, 2008, 5:29 pm

Byoo-tee-full. I hope that we get a Coleen Coover story as well and a load of pin-up pages!

BTW- was the 2nd First class trade also released in Hardcover- I have had it pre-ordered through Amazon forever.

Time: July 7, 2008, 5:34 pm

I’m a big fan of your art, Parker…But I also love Kevin Nowlan. I think he’s one of the most under-appreciated artists of the past 15 years….

Comment from Mark
    Time: July 7, 2008, 9:15 pm

I’d be curious to see the pencils…

Time: July 7, 2008, 9:35 pm

Eric- not for artists! Everybody in the industry I know speaks of him in the manner of talking about Admiral Nelson or Edmund Hillary (and Tenzing Norgay).

Mark, just follow the link, they’re on Nate’s Marvel blog.

Comment from Casey
    Time: July 8, 2008, 2:19 am

AHHH! Wow, man — that’s awesome!!! I know that’ll be an original you keep forever and ever — congrats!

Comment from Sandy Jarrell
    Time: July 8, 2008, 6:57 am

Sweet!

Comment from Craig
    Time: July 8, 2008, 7:36 am

Nice work, Parker. And I think you’re right, this Nowlan kid may have a shot in the business! ; )

Comment from Matt Wieringo
    Time: July 8, 2008, 10:52 am

Well, he IS officially a “Modern Master”. Anyway, Jeff, you’re a great penciller. Keep going!

Comment from dusty abell
    Time: July 9, 2008, 9:48 am

Dude, you’ve been “Nowlan’d!” Those are some great pencils, i love marvel girls pose. Everyone knows going in Nowlan will make changes to their work in the inks and take the work to the next level. The biggest revelation to me was the work he did over Jose Luis Garcia Lopez on the Doctor StrangeFate Amalgam book, i WORSHIP Garcia_Lopez and what he did over his pencils was nothing sort of breathtaking. Please keep drawing Jeff, you got the skillz man!

p.s any pin-up room available in your annual for a schmoe like me?????

Comment from patrick hulman
    Time: July 9, 2008, 10:00 am

Dude Awesome cover.

Time: July 9, 2008, 3:18 pm

There’s always room for the Dusty.

Comment from dusty abell
    Time: July 9, 2008, 5:30 pm

REALLY??? what do i need to do, cause i’ll do it!

man david’s double pager is freakin’ AWESOME!!!! and townsend inking, boy oh boy!!!!!!

Comment from Ethan
    Time: July 10, 2008, 10:50 pm

In all the time I’ve been following your work, I don’t think I’ve ever seen your pencils inked by someone else (unless you count Lieber’s backgrounds in Interman – but that’s a cheat). As you would expect, he did a stellar job.

Still, more Parker art! It is demanded by the public.

Time: July 10, 2008, 11:29 pm

It’s been a while, and of course, Kevin was immediately THE BEST. I’ll go draw something now…

Comment from Ellie Egleton
    Time: August 24, 2008, 10:34 am

I love this cover by you I’m going to get it CGC!!!Can’t wait to read it!