• Mike Wieringo Tribute Book Out Now

signed

That one of course, is one of the copies gang-signed by many of the contributors at Heroes Con last weekend. But you can find a clean copy at your local comics shop now. It turned out great. My only complaint is that from fear of trademark infringement, I was asked to alter my Gorilla General so he wasn’t so directly Planet of the Apes. Here’s my original image that goes with my text piece in the book…

the only good hu-man... is a DEAD hu-man!

And yes, the drawing makes sense in context. Essentially I was drawing in the tradition of Mike’s sketch blog, indulging whatever occurred to me at the moment. There are some beautiful tributes in there and an excellent opening by Matt “Mafus” Wieringo. Proceeds benefit the Hero Initiative.

Also this week: X-Men meet Machine Man. Again, IN STORES NOW.

Comments

Comment from dusty abell
    Time: June 27, 2008, 11:23 am

REALLY enjoyed it……..loved the James Franciscus story, glad ya posted your original Ursus or Urko drawing, i loves me the apes and the mutates!

Taylor: “Imagine me needing someone. Back on Earth I never did. Oh, there were women. Lots of women. Lots of love-making but no love. You see, that was the kind of world we’d made. So I left, because there was no one to hold me there”. Most awesome dystopian monologue EVER!

man i wanna see more of these four together, can you think of a way to make it work in normal continuity????

Time: June 27, 2008, 12:28 pm

Dusty, only a True POTA fan could pull that line out of his head. I salute you.

“We’ll be running this place in a few months.”

Comment from Matt Wieringo
    Time: June 27, 2008, 3:10 pm

Oh, man, am I a fan of the original movies. I’ve got them all on DVD, and the TV series as well. I’ve even read the original novel by Pierre Boulle. (Did i spell that right?) POTA (as presented in the film) forces you to take “suspension of disbelief” to the ultimate extreme. And it still works!

Time: June 27, 2008, 3:24 pm

I read the Monkey Planet book a few years ago too. They kind of finally got to that final scene in the first scene of Escape when they get out of the rocket and take off their helmets. Which is one of the best openings to any movie, ever, no matter what the rest of the film is like.

Well, what it’s like is Victor from Young and Restless talking about time paradoxes with infinite paintings behind him and a loop of the baby chimp saying “Ma-MA!” Mike and I used to enjoy reenacting that bit!

Comment from zailo
    Time: June 27, 2008, 3:40 pm

One of my Favorite parts of POTA is towards the begiining when they are walking through the Forbidden Zone i.e. the Grand Canyon, and they are shown through panoramic long shots. The story was more about the background and not the little dots walking. Nice storytelling.

Time: June 27, 2008, 4:17 pm

Planet of the Apes Blah Blah Blah…where’s the love for Valley of the Gwangi? Cowboys lassoing dinosaurs? Ladies and gentlemen, we have a winner….

Time: June 27, 2008, 4:22 pm

Gwangi = AWESOME. It was the best depiction of dinosaurs for decades until Jurassic Park. And it had a blind gypsy hag, a dwarf who Gwangi eats, a miniature horse… really, it doesn’t get any better.

Comment from zailo
    Time: June 29, 2008, 3:00 pm

You hit the Gwangi and POTA high points of James Franciscus but left out Bruce Lee? What up , Parker?

Time: June 29, 2008, 3:08 pm

Yeah, but I never saw Longstreet, and we only talked about the movies.

Freaking LONGSTREET already!

Comment from Matt M.
    Time: June 29, 2008, 8:34 pm

Is it wrong that I instantly recognized that from Gwangi and not as a generic dinosaur?

Cowboys and dinosaurs. Now *that’s* a winning combination.