• I’ve Just Been Told I’m Writing The Sentry…

whee

-And that Paul Tobin is too. And Nick Dragotta is drawing! Well this sounds like a hoot. Here’s something from Marvel on it all.

Comments

Comment from Pj Perez
    Time: May 30, 2008, 10:32 am

Interesting … I haven’t been a big fan of the Sentry as a character or concept, but this looks like it will be fun if kept drawn in that classic, Silver Age style, and of course your writing makes things a little easier to go down. I’ll keep my eyes peeled.

Comment from frinklin
    Time: May 30, 2008, 10:35 am

Huh, so now what do I do? I like the concept of the Sentry, hate the execution, hate how he’s been shoved down our throats in World War Hulk and Mighty Avengers.

But, I like you’re post-modern Silver Age stuff in First Class, so I’ll give this a shot.

Time: May 30, 2008, 10:48 am

Thanks for the votes of confidence!

Time: May 30, 2008, 12:13 pm

Well, if anyone can make me like the character… it would be you.

Not been a huge fan of him, but I’ll give it a whirl.

Was hoping we’d hear something about Agents of Atlas 2 also.

Comment from arch 14
    Time: May 30, 2008, 1:23 pm

loved the original sentry mini. sentry+avengers=underwhelming. but i’m pretty excited about the sentry+parker equation.

Time: May 30, 2008, 8:46 pm

So was that meta-fictional one-shot in X-Men: First Class a warm-up for Sentry? Here’s hoping….

Time: May 31, 2008, 8:24 am

Also…

Does this mean we might see the Sentry showing up in X-Men: First Class?

Sort of an unofficial Tie-In to the upcoming Mini-series.

Time: May 31, 2008, 8:38 am

Eric, it wasn’t planned that way, but that’s the way it’s turned out!

Beast, if Sentry appears in XFC… it would be in a very particular way that I’m not at liberty to explain. It would make more sense in light of what you see in the final issue of the Sentry mini…

Time: May 31, 2008, 10:29 am

Interesting answer. Can’t wait! :D

Comment from Pedro Bouça
    Time: June 2, 2008, 4:46 am

I truly HATE that character! Really don’t think it has a place on the Marvel Universe.

But since you are writing, I’ll probably give it a shot. Most definitely wait for the trade (and the reviews), though.

But I still wish you’d be writing another book. ANY other book!

Best,
    Hunter (Pedro Bouça)

Time: June 7, 2008, 3:47 pm

Joe Quesada answered a bunch of questions in his latest Cup O Joe about Age of Sentry.

JM: For starters, Age of The Sentry. This will be set, I guess, in the early Silver Age of Marvel. Not to get too “inside baseball,” but is the kind of thing where these “new” stories will fit tightly into existing cannon? You’ll be able to tell this particular bit happened right between Fantastic Four 16 and 17?

JQ: Yes, and it will give us greater insight into the Sentry and Rob Reynolds, of course. The Sentry really is gaining in popularity these days so I think it’s the perfect time for this series.

JM: The Sentry seems the oddest…I dunno. Major-minor character out there. Is this character, or can this character be, a major player in the Marvel Universe? Or will he be perpetual Ant-Man?

JQ: From what I’ve been gathering from the reaction of fandom at on the ‘net, via e-mails and at the cons, he’s becoming hugely popular. There’s always an incubation period with a character, and the Sentry seems to actually be exceeding our original expectations. I think having him on an Avengers team certainly helps as well.

JM: Jeff Parker’s writing this and whereas I truly dig the Parker, he seems to the tool in the box for every “flashback”-styled or retro- bit Marvel does these days. Are you unfairly typecasting Parker?

JQ: Not that I’m aware of. I think the reason Jeff does these kinds of stories at the moment is because he gravitates towards them, but also he has a great knack for them.

JM: Another crazy notion that suddenly occurs to me: Are you typecasting The Sentry? Is it harder for fans to grasp and appreciate the character when so much of his story in the only form they can get it is in a retro mode?

JQ: Obviously not. The backstory is just added goodness, I think all you really need to know about the Sentry is that he’s as powerful as Thor and the Hulk (let the debate begin!) but he’s chock full of phobias and his greatest villain is himself. That’s plenty for people to hang on to and to hold all of our interests.

Time: June 7, 2008, 7:01 pm

Notice the “at the moment” comment. Because Joe knows I’m about to do something very different soon…!

Time: June 7, 2008, 7:23 pm

No fair. No teasing. Tell!! :D

Time: June 17, 2008, 10:14 am

Age of Sentry #1 was solicited today. Sounds great!

THE AGE OF THE SENTRY #1 (of 6)
    Written by JEFF PARKER & PAUL TOBIN
    Penciled by NICK DRAGOTTA & RAMON ROSANAS
    Cover by DAVE BULLOCK & MICHAEL CHO
    Kicking off an all-new miniseries bringing you two “classic” silver-age tales of the Sentry at the birth of the Marvel Age! When the Golden Guardian is critically injured, Scout, Lindy Lee and Watchdog have to travel back in time to learn exactly how Rob Reynolds became THE SENTRY. They must learn the secrets to save our hero – so he can save the world! PLUS: When the Tinkerer and the Mad Thinker team up to create a device capable of stealing the Sentry’s powers, they only have one obstacle on their path to world domination. The parasitic beam takes HOURS to work! What evil scheme will keep the Sentry in place long enough to destroy him? Don’t miss the breathtaking tale of monsters and mayhem!
    32 PGS./Rated A …$2.99

And hey…. Jeff, I thought Marvel Adventures #27 was solicited as your last issue? Your listed as writer for #28 along with Paul Tobin. Decide you couldn’t stay away, eh?

MARVEL ADVENTURES THE AVENGERS #28
    Written by JEFF PARKER & PAUL TOBIN
    Penciled by IG GUARA
    Cover by SEAN MURPHY
    It’s always tough when your parents don’t like the girl you’re dating, but it’s even rougher if you happen to be Thor, son of Odin! Worse, Odin sets Thor up on a date with a Frost Giant’s daughter! When Thor ditches her to sneak away on a date with Storm, it’s up to rest of the Avengers to cover for him.
    32 PGS./All Ages …$2.99

Time: June 17, 2008, 12:06 pm

Yeah, they offered to let me work with Paul on an arc, and that makes it fun enough to stay on longer.

Isn’t that Bullock cover for Sentry terrific?

Time: June 17, 2008, 12:39 pm

Very cool. Because I love your work.
    Anything your name is attached to immediately goes on my pull list. Just glad that X-Men: First Class seems to be doing so well.

And yeah, it’s an amazing cover. Who’s the Ape in the tie getting punched by Sentry? New villain that will appear in the story.

Since it’s Silver age… you should include a Dinosaur also. :D