• Emerald City Saturday

goons

I like this picture from Dan Clark’s Pop Culture Zoo report on the Emerald City show because it looks like Ed Brubaker is thoughtfully listening to what I’m saying, while Robert Kirkman and Skottie Young try to figure out where the bathroom is. In fact it was a funny hour with zingers flying from the podium and I couldn’t stop looking at the two guys dressed as Skrulls in the audience. I was late, but as far as I could tell Jen Grunwald opened up the panel to questions immediately. I’m not sure we gave anyone a real answer to anything.

The show is great. I was afraid it would suffer from moving to the convention center because I liked the old venue, but the incredible size jump really made staying there impossible. And this convention center is actually much nicer than most- it doesn’t look so much like a giant basement and it has a nice natural area outside. I raised a decent amount of money doing sketches at the Hero Initiative booth, thanks to Very Specific Requests like say, Howard the Duck driving a Mini Cooper.

wack

Thanks to Hames Marshall for getting me that scan so fast!

Comments

Comment from Jake Boyer
    Time: May 11, 2008, 6:20 pm

Jeff, I thought the panel was great (WAY more fun than the competition’s), and you DID get at least one new reader out of the deal. I can’t find a private contact on here, so I figured I’d leave you a comment and let you know I ended up reading all the way through Agents of Atlas last night and it was AWESOME! Two of my non-comics readign friends ended up reading through it as well and both loved it. What an I say, it was a long night of drinking beer and playing Wii. Just wanted to follow through and let you know what I thought of the book. Thanks for being so gracious to a con newbie when I came by the table yesterday as well!

Time: May 11, 2008, 8:45 pm

Jake, that’s great to hear, thanks for commenting.

But which Wii were you playing?

Comment from Jake Boyer
    Time: May 12, 2008, 6:51 am

There’s different ones? Or are we talking Nintendo versus something not appropriate for a panel that includes children? It involved a lot of Mario Kart and Guinness. Quick question, though: Are you planning on going to the Baltimore Con this year? Also, if I reall liked Agents, what should I read next?

Time: May 12, 2008, 7:19 am

I left out the key word “games”, I didn’t mean to create console confusion. I’m awake now!

That’s a definite MAYBE on Baltimore if I can get my schedule sorted. The Agents appeared in a Spider-Man Family issue(#4 I think) and the Giant Size Marvel Adventures Avengers last year. And pretty soon they’ll be in the Secret Invasion Special.

Time: May 12, 2008, 8:07 am

Woodgod and Aquarius, eh Jeff?

Will we be seeing either of them showing up in X-Men: First Class?

Oh, and got the package from you a while back. Thanks for the awesome signed comics. I haven’t read Interim yet, but I’m looking forward to it. And the original artwork page from Colleen Coover was great! You rock! :)

Time: May 12, 2008, 8:27 am

You’re very welcome, it’s INTERMAN, and you can thank Colleen for that rough over at her Livejournal at http://colleencoover.livejournal.com/

jp

Time: May 12, 2008, 8:37 am

Gah, sorry about that. It’s on my reading stack and I didn’t check before I typed the name. But anyway, thanks a heap. That was very cool of you. :)

And I’ll do that. Though I don’t have a current active LJ account.

Time: May 12, 2008, 9:18 am

I haven’t done it in a while, but non LJer’s can just be Anonymous and put their name in the comments, right? I don’t really like LJ, I wish she’d use a real blog.

Comment from patrick hulman
    Time: May 12, 2008, 11:19 am

you know parker not everyone is as kewl and hip as you.

Comment from odessasteps magazine
    Time: May 12, 2008, 7:57 pm

It would be great if you could come out for Baltimore. (I may have said that already when I saw you at FCBD.)

Maybe I’ll finally have that review of ATLAS done by then, in time for the issue debuting at the show.