• Great Minds, Thinking Alike

Recently Evan Shaner got carried across the mosh-pit of the internet for his cool Charles Schulz’ Watchmen piece, seen here.

In Color!

Which was particularly neat to me because I did a version of the gag when I was in college, goofing around at the Student Center with friends Micah Harris and Tom Gurganus. We assigned who in Peanuts fit the roles and I drew it, and it took like a year from sending it in to show up in Comics Scene Magazine. After mentioning it in the comments at the Newsarama blog, Theo Radomski dug out the issue and sent me a scan since I have no idea where my copy of that mag is. Theo, by the way has lots of good stuff on his blog, Hastily Put Together, get over there when you’re done here.

But somebody was zinging Evan as if he ripped me off, when he never saw the one I drew. Boo, Anonymous Commenter, boo! As I’m sure it was with Evan, this just seems such a natural matching that I’m surprised no one else has done it too. Here’s mine, which was obviously done pre-internet so it fits better in three columns along the bottom than in a blog browser…

you. you watch the watchnuts.

Ugh, I hate old drawings. I mean, “AARGH!” Evan is much better than I was at his age, look through his site. What I find much weirder than us doing essentially the same joke is that we did it at roughly the same age, each in college. It’s neat to see the clear difference in delivery systems of entertainment now. Then, we had to wait forever to see it turn up in a magazine (and we were paid 18 bucks to split!) whereas the internet got Evan mad hits from all over within a day of him putting it online. Even weirder, specifically to me, is seeing this snippet from the article it ran under- mentioning Jimmy Woo and the Yellow Claw.

spooky omen?

Is the Human Robot and Gorilla Man also mentioned somewhere on that page? Anyway, you should check out Evan’s site for other good stuff like his Saul Bass-y logo and this other mash-up.

My only critique: I can see why Evan cast his the way he did, but Evan! How could you not make Rorshach Pigpen? Dude! Ozymandias however, we completely agreed on. This does encourage me more toward going through the painful process of digging out stuff I drew years ago and putting it online. It would be cathartic, right?

Comments

Comment from Jeff
    Time: April 24, 2008, 4:37 pm

There was a similar cartoon that appeared in Starlog many years ago as well. Was it the same one?

Comment from Marc Hodge
    Time: April 24, 2008, 5:02 pm

Hey Jeff,

Funny thing is I actually remember seeing your Peanuts/Watchmen drawing from Comic Scene magazine prior to actually meeting you at ECU. Though I don’t think I realized you drew it until now.

Time: April 24, 2008, 6:08 pm

Jeff, I’m pretty sure Starlog owned Comics Scene, so I bet it was the same one. Hey, that means they owe another 18 bucks!

Marc: ha!

Comment from Evan
    Time: April 24, 2008, 7:38 pm

I do love hearing the comments from people on the ways they would have cast it. The strangest one was someone asking why I didn’t make Lucy’s Silk Spectre costume more revealing. Weird. To be honest, I mostly made Snoopy Rorschach because of the spots. I have no better reason. I do like your Pigschach though, especially the baggy type mask. And yes, Schroeder = Ozymandias is a no-brainer.

Thanks for the nice shout-out Jeff, much appreciated!

Time: April 24, 2008, 7:57 pm

“asking why I didn’t make Lucy’s Silk Spectre costume more revealing”

Excuse me, Evan.
    HUUUAARRRRKKKKLLGH

Time: April 24, 2008, 8:10 pm

Those are pretty cool, Evan n’ Jeff. The Mitchell Mash-Up is almost as good.

But why didn’t you make Alice Mitchell’s costume more revealing?

Time: April 24, 2008, 9:52 pm

Well, that doesn’t make me want to hurl nearly as much. Didn’t Dennis’ mom rank right behind Blondie in the Toon Milf contest last year (I think Morticia Addams won, but I could be wrong)?

Comment from Dana
    Time: April 25, 2008, 5:33 am

Great Minds.
    Does seem to happen.
    Curse of the web, trust, coincidence and spin.

Time: April 25, 2008, 10:18 am

I wasn’t aware that there was a Toon Milf contest. But I would vote for Alice over the other two. I hope the awards are called the Fritzis. Though I guess technically she’s an Ailf.

Comment from Theo
    Time: April 25, 2008, 1:58 pm

I think we should all thank both Jeff and Evan for not making Silk Lucy’s outfit anymore revealing than it already is… and for not casting Snoopy in that role, too. *shudders*.

As for making the Invisible Alice’s outfit more revealing, I really don’t want to see the return of that open-chest emblem 90s outfit, whether parody or otherwise… Yikes!

Oh, and additional thanks for the very kind plug, Jeff. :)

Comment from The Ugly American
    Time: April 30, 2008, 7:11 am

Though thematically it works, your casting of Manhattan is a dubious choice considering the circumstances.

Incest is the best, put your sister to the test… simultaneously with multiple clones of yourself.

Time: April 30, 2008, 7:50 am

There’s no way Lucy and Linus are really siblings. And I don’t know who that Rerun kid is.

Comment from amp76
    Time: May 14, 2008, 5:05 pm

Wow. THE Jeff Parker of Watchnuts fame. I actually made a t-shirt of your Snoopy as The Comedian 20 years ago. I was 12.

Comment from Jill aka The Nerdy Bird
    Time: January 22, 2009, 11:11 pm

I enjoy both versions very much. I actually wish more people would have fun putting classic characters into different roles like that. You could make a whole book out of it.

Comment from Micah Harris
    Time: March 31, 2009, 5:34 pm

Hi Jeff –

Do you remember what we got paid for this gag? Fifteen big bucks we split three ways! You made a gift of the original art to me years later. I remember the general idea of casting the Peanuts gang as Watchmen was mine, and then you cast Charlie Brown as Nightowl and Pigpen as Rorschach (my favorite!). Linus as Manhatten with his blanket covering his, uhm, gender was mine, and Snoopy pretty much cast himself as the Comedian (given he’d worn the domino mask as an arm wrestler in Schultz’s continuity), as did Schroder and Lucy. You drew them, as you said, doing their Peanuts thing of “looking quiet” (your words) and I remember admiring how your Charlie Brown as NightOwl evoked Wally Wood’s Bat Boy from the classic Mad parody.

Micah

Time: March 31, 2009, 6:44 pm

Okay, I owe Starlog/Comics Scene an apology then, because I’ve been saying it was twelve dollars! Good recall, Micah.

Comment from Scott Conner
    Time: September 28, 2009, 10:27 pm

Thanks for posting that! I remember seeing that back in Starlog or Comics Scene many moons ago. I can’t remember what I had for lunch 3 weeks ago, but I remember that cartoon quite well!