• Crappiest DVD extra ever?

I don’t want to make this Complaining Week, but I just have to stand annoyed at the most horrible DVD extra I’ve ever encountered in my own collection. We watch the Disney classics at home a lot (I would even if I didn’t have kids) and it’s on the platinum edition of Cinderella. Which is well worth owning even for having probably the scariest Disney villain, the Stepmother (Because she’s so real!). But on Disc 1, they made the biggest stretch ever by including “Cinderella Stories Presented by ESPN” so you can watch thirty minutes of Joe Namath introducing sports clips of games being turned around at the last second. I love Pele as much as anyone, but what the hell this is doing in the context of classic animation is anyone’s guess, even if they do own ESPN. It also has some lame music videos, but you won’t think your TV just blinked over back to a cable feed at least. Beat it, Broadway Joe! All the good bonus material is on Disc 2, like unused production art and a neat feature on artist Mary Blair.

This is what blogs are truly for; if something annoys you even when you’re not watching it, you can vent and make it go away. And spread word on cool comics and music and post pics of cats, etc. Ah.

Comments

Comment from Zack Smith
    Time: April 9, 2008, 2:40 pm

God damn it, every time I flip past the Disney Channel there is some little Pop Tart singing this funked-up cover of “Cruella De Vil.” She looks about 12 and is singing it as vampily as possible. It somehow manages to both mutilate the original song and make it 15 times creepier.

Please, Disney. Every time you try and create one of these all-purpose pop-star actresses with model-pretty clothes, you are not only subjecting young women to pressure and exposure they’re far too young to handle, you’re also selling young girls on an impossible lifestyle. And worst of all, you’re physically violating eardrums across the world.

For the love of God, try actually promoting your classic films AS CLASSICS instead of glossing them up with horrible music videos and hacked-out DVD sequels. And cut this “In the Vault” BS. Try making your films available CONSISTENTLY so young children can actually SEE and ENJOY them!

I’m sorry, that…that was building up for a while.

Time: April 9, 2008, 2:52 pm

I straight-concur with all those points. Disney, stop creating Lindsays and Brittanys. And bust open that effing Vault! Were my kids supposed to wait seven years until they’re not the optimum age to enjoy Alice in Wonderland or whatever?

Damn Disney Radio sets up here at public events all the time so I keep seeing more want-to-be future-famous methheads clamoring for that position.

Time: April 9, 2008, 4:41 pm

Zack Smith is just mad because Cody Smith has the Sweeter Life.

Comment from Tim O’Shea
    Time: April 9, 2008, 7:14 pm

Please, hands down, the worst DVD extra ever is the advertised “Easter Eggs” (Hidden Menus) which I have NEVER found for Steve Martin’s LA Story

Time: April 9, 2008, 7:22 pm

Where are the Easter Eggs supposed to be?

Time: April 9, 2008, 8:26 pm

I’ve got two of them — interviews with the director and Steve Martin. For Martin, go to “Play Featurette” and press the left button the DVD remote. The interview is…21 seconds long.

I hadn’t opened my DVD copy of LA Story, and it turns out that the security tape binding the edges is stronger than the actual plastic cover of the DVD case. I ripped it all to pieces. Blah.

Time: April 9, 2008, 8:32 pm

Also, the crappiest DVD extra is Talladega Nights: The Uncut Version, in which they cut out the scenes (filmed down the road from my house) that I bought the friggin’ DVD to see!

Time: April 9, 2008, 8:37 pm

Hey, this post turned out productive! If I can’t get to sleep in a little bit, I’ll go put in MY LA Story and look for the eggs.

I was about to say Dude You Bought Talladega Nights, but I guess if they shot it that close to home you had no choice.

Comment from Tim O’Shea
    Time: April 9, 2008, 8:42 pm

OK, memory may be faulty with old age. I may have FOUND them, but found them lacking. I mean really, to be an extra, I think it has to be longer than 21 seconds… :) Thanks, Eric.

Another annoyance–commentary tracks that cure insomnia. Frank Capra’s son does a commentary track on Mr. Smith Goes to Washington that nearly had me Vincent van Gogh-ing my own ear…

Comment from Dennis Culver