• Wieringo’s Last: Hero Initiative Benefit

ringowi.jpg

I’ve wanted to talk about this for a while- my final project with Mike Wieringo was a What If? story picking up from the classic Walt Simonson/Art Adams Fantastic Four storyline that created the alternate FF with Spider-Man, Hulk, Wolverine and Ghost Rider. Marvel has donated the work done to the Hero Initiative and we expanded the story to let some of the industry’s greatest artists finish what was started. I’m excited for people to see this, because Mike was drawing really incredible pages. It’s also full of tributes from Mike’s colleagues, and of course all proceeds go to benefit our older creators who can use some help. I think this would be a good addition to Mike’s legacy if comics shops could make this the HI’s biggest funds generator yet. There’s more at Newsarama in the link.

Comments

Comment from Matt Wieringo
    Time: March 31, 2008, 7:37 am

Thanks for posting this, Jeff. I remember how blown away I was when Mike sent me scans of those pages with his trademark “Whatcha think of these, bro?” He just never stopped getting better and he never phoned it in. When we got to Durham in August and I saw those pages in person I felt a terrible twinge. I thought, nobody will ever see these pages…

And now they will. Thank you to you, Jim McLauchlin, Marvel and all the contributors for making this happen. I can’t wait to see it on the stands.

Time: March 31, 2008, 8:07 am

It’s really turned out to be a great book, I can’t wait for people to see it.

Comment from dusty abell
    Time: March 31, 2008, 8:58 am

please tell me the dave/art/kelsey covers gonna get used!!! i can’t wait to see this book, i just wish it was under happier circumstances. its awesome that so many talented people stepped up to pay tribute to mike and his huge contribution to the industry by making his last work something really special and helping to make sure everybody would have an opportunity to see it. the story is just as much fun as the walt/art arc, this is a really great follow up to one of my favorites from back in the day.

Time: March 31, 2008, 9:09 am

They pulled that cover from one of Mike’s splashes in the book, and I think now that Dave cover is a pinup. I’m glad we could expand Dave (Williams is who we’re talking about, for the rest of you)’s section to the neat double page spread, it’s so fun.

Tell those L.A. stores to order hard, Dusty!

Comment from David Price
    Time: March 31, 2008, 9:50 am

I’ll echo Dusty’s comments: I, too, wish it was under happier circumstances. Damn does Mike’s art make me happy to be a comic book fan!

Comment from Adam Hutch
    Time: March 31, 2008, 10:52 am

I already emailed my LCS and asked them to put this on my pull list. I even copy and pasted info on where it’s listed in Previews in my email; just to make sure I got it.

Comment from chukw
    Time: April 1, 2008, 7:20 am

I had a great bittersweet dream the other night in which I saw Mike’s last page. It was beautiful- and looked like Mike’s style, too- something I could never duplicate with a pencil. Now I’ll see if I’m really psychic.. or just psychotic, as usual…

Comment from Sandy Jarrell
    Time: April 1, 2008, 9:58 am

I’ll bug the kids across the street to order a huge stack of ‘em.

Comment from jack marlowe
    Time: April 1, 2008, 2:49 pm

I´ll solicitate. This comic for Hero Initative can solicitate in Previews if you are a european or not? Is only avalible in US Country?

I like The comic-book penciller of Ringo and the last project with you Jeff is a good work. Tellos also is a good work. Now he is with Jack Kirby and another great pencillers and artists.

Time: April 1, 2008, 3:14 pm

Felipe, I don’t know where it’s available, I’ll try to find out. Thanks though.