• Why Does Marvel Hate Colleen?

cooverhate.jpg

Say! Another X-Men First Class is about to come out, with more Colleen Coover features in the back- and Marvel didn’t tell anyone in the solicitation!!! I’ve been meaning to address this issue, and then I noticed that Dave Carter mentioned it on his blog the other day, Yet Another Comics Blog (which is excellent, and should be bookmarked). Well, I’ve gotten to the bottom of these oversights, and I know where the blame, tar and feathers need to go!

ME, dang it. See, solicitation text for Diamond Previews is needed way ahead of time, usually long before I’ve written the actual issue. And I don’t plan out the exact page count before I’ve begun writing- I like to leave some room for myself in an organic way, so stories can breathe a bit and not feel pushed into plot space. In short, I let the main story dictate the length of any back ups and then often Colleen and I brainstorm what could go into those remaining pages. So, even when we’ve figured out what Coover cartoons are coming up, we don’t necessarily know where they’re going until long past the catalog solicit deadline.

Except! In some upcoming issues I’ll at least be able to let them know she’ll definitely be in the book, even though I don’t know exactly what happens in the back-ups. In general, early shorts were devoted to Marvel Girl, and now they’re going to be mostly Angel-centric for a bit. But at least Colleen fans will have a heads up.

Comments

Comment from Johnny Bacardi
    Time: February 19, 2008, 12:35 pm

I have a secret wish that Marvel will someday collect all of Colleen’s backups in one place.

Comment from Laura M
    Time: February 19, 2008, 1:35 pm

It would be great if Marvel collected all of the backups in one place. I would buy that in a heartbeat, and I would buy it as gifts for a lot of people I know too, especially people who aren’t into X-Men, but would find them cute anyway.

I’ve always considered Colleen’s backup stories to be like a really awesome toy surprise inside my favorite cereal, but I pick up every issue anyway.

Comment from Steve Lieber
    Time: February 19, 2008, 2:10 pm

Because YOU demanded it!

Comment from Matt M.
    Time: February 19, 2008, 2:46 pm

Are you telling me I won’t get those in the trades?

Rassenfrassen…

Comment from Johnny B
    Time: February 19, 2008, 3:03 pm

Steve: Now THAT’S what I’m TALKIN’ about!

Time: February 19, 2008, 3:51 pm

They’re in the trades. Aren’t they?

Comment from J. Kevin Carrier
    Time: February 19, 2008, 5:31 pm

Seems to me that the simplest solution would be to have Colleen draw the whole book. ;-)

Comment from Matt M.
    Time: February 19, 2008, 5:59 pm

Dunno. I haven’t gotten to ‘em yet. I was just worried that Marvel might not have reprinted them in lieu of just printing the main event type stories.

Comment from bornieo
    Time: February 19, 2008, 8:26 pm

Maybe its because she doesn’t draw hot naked chicks in X:FC?

Time: February 19, 2008, 10:12 pm

Yeah! Let Colleen draw the book! I bet she could write it too!

I mean, uh…just kidding!

Comment from Chris Pitzer
    Time: February 20, 2008, 8:33 am

I am SOOOOO out of the loop when it comes to keeping up with what Marvel and DC do, but I’d REALLY enjoy a collection of these backup stories. Lmk if there’s a write in campaign or anything.

Comment from Karl Ruben
    Time: February 20, 2008, 12:28 pm

Hey, speaking of the May solicitations: I’m glad to see you back on MA: Avengers, Mr. Parker. Is this permanent, or just a guest shot?
    One more questions, slightly off topic: (hope you don’t mind, couldn’t find an e-mail adress)
    Have you considered putting up a bibliography of your work on this site?

Comment from dave roman
    Time: February 20, 2008, 1:54 pm

Please add my name to the list of people who would love to see all the strips in one collection at some point! And maybe an issue/mini-series with all Colleen art?

Time: February 20, 2008, 2:41 pm

Colleen is closing in on enough backups to fill such a book, so I wouldn’t think it’s out of the question.
    Kevin, she really prefers coming in on the short and sweet features- like a surgical strike! That said, Colleen IS working on a long story for Marvel right now that I do not have clearance to mention.

Karl- I’m on for four issues! I can’t really do anymore because I have a lot of other deadlines to hit this year. But at least we’ll have a nice arc, and an artist I’m really loving the work of, Ig Guara is drawing those issues.
    And thanks for reminding me, I need to finish my ABOUT section where I’ll probably link to a bibliography. Gotta get on that…

Comment from Josh
    Time: February 22, 2008, 1:03 pm

Awww, poor Colleen! :) At least we, the fans, appreciate her!

I think it’s cool that you’re gonna shake things up a little and focus the shorts on Angel now. Maybe once you move on from Warren, Beast can be next?

On the topic of Marvel Adventures The Avengers, Jeff, count me as another who was happy to see your name back in the credits box. Sumerak has been doing a fine job in your place, but I am happy to see you back. Plus, I’m digging Ig Guara as the artist! The two of you should make a heck of a team.

Time: February 22, 2008, 2:18 pm

The Ig is A FORCE.

Time: February 23, 2008, 11:04 am

The better question… does Colleen hate Beast?

First Marvel Girl now Angel. Where’s my Colleen Coover Beast!! :D

Comment from Jason
    Time: March 2, 2008, 7:09 am

Yeah, I was really sad when I picked up the first trade and saw that the back-ups were not collected. Hopefully they’ll get collected somewhere, somewhen.

Time: March 3, 2008, 11:01 am

I don’t think there were any back-ups in the first 8 issues.

Didn’t they start them with the Special? I don’t have my issues handy.

Time: March 3, 2008, 11:14 am

I meant to say that the other day. If you’re talking about the first volume that collected the miniseries, she hadn’t done any yet.