• What If: SPIDERINE

wolv.jpg

I forgot to mention that the WHAT IF: SPIDER-MAN VS. WOLVERINE is out today, written by me and Paul Tobin, and drawn by Clayton Henry. So, two crazy-talented guys, plus me. With an insanely misleading cover, because Spidey and Wolverine do not fight in the story, except to exchange witty barbs. But they do kill a lot of people.

Comments

Comment from Chris Griswold
    Time: January 30, 2008, 7:59 pm

I just read this, and it is so good. So now I am looking for more work by you, Tobin, and Henry. The story was great, the pacing, the structure, the plot, and the art is realistic and dynamic.

I am going to recommend this to a lot of people and look for more work by you.

Time: January 31, 2008, 10:05 am

Thanks, Chris. On behalf of Paul and Clayton too.

Comment from jack marlowe
    Time: February 1, 2008, 4:57 am

One question please. The comic-book come next week.
    Include the comic-book of Oswley? I say that because other comics marvel, GS MA Avengers with Venus-Namora include old material.

Comment from Dan Coyle
    Time: February 1, 2008, 8:22 am

Hey Jeff,

I had a blast reading this. Clayton Henry should draw a Black Widow series. He made her look super-cool just standing around.

Time: February 1, 2008, 9:03 am

Thanks Dan- Clayton is the man, I agree!

Time: February 3, 2008, 12:18 pm

Just got through reading this…. great What If?, Jeff.

Though I never read the original, so I’m not certain of the differnces. :D

Comment from Josh
    Time: February 3, 2008, 1:25 pm

I have to admit, the original is one of the few 80′s Marvel gems I’ve never read, either. I really wish there was a more accessible reprint of it. Anyways, I loved this WHAT IF?, it took things in a very interesting direction for Spider-Man in particular. I could honestly see this happening to the Spider-Man I grew up with, looking at it not as a reader on the outside, but from inside the Marvel Universe. Clayton Henry did an excellent job on the visuals, he handles action quite well, and I liked the design of Spidey’s new costume. I always enjoy seeing Wolverine in his brown duds, too.

I hear ya about the cover, Jeff. Too often this is the curse of super-hero comics. But at the same time, it’s JRfreakingJR, so screw it :)

Time: February 3, 2008, 2:03 pm

Don’t fret guys, I never read the original either.

KIDDING! It’s worth tracking down sometime. And yes, Jr. slammed another one out of the park on the front.

Comment from Josh
    Time: February 4, 2008, 1:31 pm

Back when SPIDER-MAN VS. WOLVERINE came out, I was still buying my comics at the local pharmacies. I was a little kid, and I had no clue about how/when to pay attention to when certain comics came out. I just knew that I got my comics when my mom took me out shopping, and I had to pick from whatever was on the shelves. That’s how I got into the classic Stan Lee/Steve Ditko stuff so early on in life, via MARVEL TALES. It was often one of the only comics left on the shelves.

Comment from Chris Griswold
    Time: February 9, 2008, 6:01 pm

Oh, I apparently was already becoming a fan but had just not put it together yet. I loved Agents of Atlas, too. OK, so I am definitely a fan now. Do I have to send for a badge or learn a handshake or something? Because I like badges and handshakes. And milkshakes.

Do we get milkshakes?

Time: February 9, 2008, 10:26 pm

Yes milkshakes!

Comment from Manolis
    Time: February 13, 2008, 11:12 am

damn, i had no idea you were writing this, i’m gonna go back and dig out the review copy.

very misleading title though for a What If, it reveals absolutely nothing about the story :(

Time: February 13, 2008, 12:20 pm

Yes. The bane of most What Ifs is trying to make a title that actually works. There, everyone gave up and just referenced the original story’s title, so you could tell what it broke off from.

Comment from Rich
    Time: February 23, 2008, 4:38 pm

This was fun. Totally made me want a Wolvie/Spidey black ops mini-series. That poor guy with the sword never stood a chance.