• That’s Going in my iPod.

I don’t care if it does roast our book horribly, I have to give it to the Uncanny X-Cast for getting out their feelings on X-Men First Class in song. Standing O! It’s in the first fourth of the podcast.

By the way guys, I know you’ve only read the miniseries, but please make sure to pull issue #11 in a couple of months. I didn’t dedicate it to anyone specifically, but it may in many ways be considered my rebuttal song. Like Danny Aiello with that musical reply to Madonna’s Papa Don’t Preach(yes, I know no one wanted to be reminded of that…).

Comments

Comment from jack marlowe
    Time: January 28, 2008, 2:20 pm

It´s your voice Jeff?

In march-april Panini publish X-men First Class :)

Time: January 28, 2008, 2:31 pm

No I’m not in the podcast. I’m like Blackbolt, if I utter even a brief sound, computer speakers and headphones everywhere would explode!

Thanks for the Panini news!

Time: January 29, 2008, 8:18 am

Did I just hear correctly that they said they don’t like the book because it, “Doesn’t matter”? I’m with Keith Giffen on continuity. Keep giving us good stories, Parker, and I’ll keep this as the only X-book I’ve bought since Generation X in high school (not counting the Morrison New X-Men I stole from friends).

Time: January 29, 2008, 2:23 pm

The Haters always focus on that point- I’ve actually read posts where x-fans say “It was entertaining, but what’s the point?” To which I have no response. If your end goal isn’t to be entertained, I don’t know what to tell you. I guess what’s most important is whether someone will die or not. Makes me feel kind of silly having enjoyed all those old DC comics featuring Superboy. We can all blame the Death of Gwen Stacy as the turning point when mainstream comics shifted to soap-opera and all that mattered afterwards was what happened next.

Comment from David Oakes
    Time: January 29, 2008, 3:12 pm

You can’t blame Gwen (or even Gerry) for Soap Opera. Stan had been laddling on the schmaltz since Amazing Fantasy #15. You can’t even blame her for the “Grim & Gritty”, since they capped her Dad three years before. (Though a case could be made that she was – to use an ept metaphor – the last nail in the coffin of comics’ childhood.)

Though I do agree that somewhere in there – between the last “Imaginary Story” issue of Super-Man and the first issue of CRISIS – something arrose that demanded “The Real”. Not reality or realism, but merely significance. Kal-L didn’t count because he wasn’t “The Real” Superman, so he had to die. Ultimate Spider-Man, no matter how good, no matter how much it sells, will never be “The Real” Spider-Man, so our Peter had to be infantilized back to the day we first met him.

(“The Next Big Thing”, while related to “The Real” is more a consequence of such a narrow focus on serial fiction, causing it to exhaust all it’s potential stories, and subsequently turn everything to 11 to wring out one last bit of bathos from the same old thing.)

I almost want to blame Parody, like TMNT, but they were more a symptom than a cause. To be hoinest, given the timing, I almost want to blame it on a backlash against the Utopianism of the 60s. No more dreams, no more fairy tales, no more imaginary stories. We only want the facts, and nothing else. If it won’t buy you a cup of coffee, then it is put away with the other childish things. Realist Uber Alles.

(Yes, the Death of Gwen Stacy caused the Reagan Administration. A day that will live in infamy indeed…)

Time: January 29, 2008, 3:30 pm

All good points. I still maintain I would have backed Spidey all the way up to Gwen’s fall. The last line would be: “Brr… that river was cold!”

Time: January 29, 2008, 3:35 pm

The only solution is to then make the book especially matter to continuity then. Which is why I declare X-Men: First Class the only book in the Marvel Universe where Peter Parker is still married to Mary Jane.

You hear that, Spider-Girl? The ONLY book.

I’m trying to wonder if Claremont came on to write First Class, but Coover stayed on the art, would I still buy it? I think I might.

Time: January 29, 2008, 3:41 pm

Also, Cruz ain’t too shabby neither.

Comment from Josh
    Time: January 30, 2008, 3:18 am

The concept that a non-continuity book “doesn’t matter” is positively absurd. I guess “The Dark Knight Returns” doesn’t matter to Batman, either?

Time: January 30, 2008, 8:13 am

Nice to see you’re taking the haters in stride as usual, Jeff. The book is awesome, don’t let anyone tell you different. It’s nice to have one X-Book out there that isn’t filled with doom, gloom, and death. Especially after the massacre of the New X-Men and Messiah Complex. Keep up the good work. :)

Also, the book does matter to continuity. Just check out New Warriors. When Night Thrasher was talking to Jubilee about the original X-Men, they used the X-Men: First Class costumes on the O5 X-Men that were displayed. I believe that’s the first modern continuity refrence to the book. :D

Comment from Brian M.
    Time: January 30, 2008, 8:15 am

This book is on the top of my pull list every month. When it came out with Messiah Part 13 and Astonishing #24 and Amazing Spider-Man #548, First Class #8 was on the top.

Seeing the Originals together is the reason I keep reading comics.

Time: January 30, 2008, 10:16 am

Good point about Dark Knight Josh! Though Beast is right, the book is considered in continuity. We don’t change any of the major history set in place, though it is tweaked often- or we’d have to accept that the team are now all in their sixties. (And I never refer to Xavier lusting after Jean.)

Time: January 30, 2008, 11:45 am

Just downloaded and listened to the song…

The guy who’s complaining is a Mammomax fan. He says so right in the song. So his opinion means squat. :P

Time: January 30, 2008, 11:48 am

I can’t fault someone for enjoying saying “Mammomax.”

mammomax…mammomax…

Comment from Rob Briscoe
    Time: January 30, 2008, 1:31 pm

First of all, you can’t beat an elephant guy mutant.

Secondly, in slight defense of myself, the whole song was very tongue in cheek. I intentionally opened right up in the song by saying how much I love that art, and I think it’s extremely well written and funny.

That being said, I have a hard time connecting to it because of the nature of the series the same way I do with Ultimate X-Men. On it’s own it’s a great book, well done and I would totally agree it’s a more fun read than the original 66. I just have trouble connecting to it because when all is said and done we know things have to tidy back up to fit back in the status quo.

Anyways, the song was obviously a parody and meant to be overstating that simple point for laughs. It looks like Jeff got the joke, but I did want to reiterate the rationale. We’d love to have you on the show some time to talk about the book, just drop us an email if you’re interested. Thanks and sorry if I stepped on any toes!

Time: January 30, 2008, 2:11 pm

Yeah, I was using you as a launchpad to whip up on the posters who really get to me. I’d love to be on the show, and maybe…

-we can do a DUET.

Time: January 30, 2008, 3:39 pm

I dunno how tongue in cheek… “If I had to choose between this and Excalibur, I’d take a bullet in the head” really is. ;)

And no biggie, it’s not for everyone. But for us fans of the Original 5, it’s nice to have. Especially since Marvel seems to have forgotten the fact that not only were the O5 friends… but they were also a family. How long has it been since Scott, Beast, Jean, Iceman, and Angel were all in the same book together and actually seemed to remember how close they were? X-Factor Vol. 1?

Sure Scott and Beast have been in Astonishing together quite a lot… but they were never as close friends as Beast and Iceman. Or even Beast, Iceman, and Angel if you want to take in account New Defenders before X-Factor. If the current X-Books would recognize those relationships more… it would be nice. Until then, at least we can rememeber why these characters were friends. ;)

Comment from Rob Briscoe
    Time: January 30, 2008, 3:54 pm

I consider Astonishing X-Men further out of continuity than First Class :) At least Jeff is working within the confines of the history, Astonishing just seems to be so far off the other books that it’s best not to even think period.

I won’t say too much more until we have Jeff on to talk about it, but I definitely like what they are doing with the book, I just had trouble getting into it. That being said it’s keeping a permanant place in my pullbox as a fun read and I’m going to add it to my yearly comic donation to a local children’s hospital (as a book for kids to get into the X-Men and learn about the original five this works perfectly)

Time: January 30, 2008, 4:18 pm

Don’t even get me started on Astonishing X-Men. Other than some witty and snappy dialogue, the story has been bland. And considering the delays, it doesn’t help you really care about what’s happening in the book. Everyone pretty much knows how it ends now anyway, if they paid attention to Messiah Complex. :p

Hope you can book Jeff on the show. I may actually start listening after that. And I’m glad you’re going to keep reading, even if you have a hard time getting into it. I guess I can understand that in a way, if you don’t have a strong attachment to the O5. And I’m sure the kids will love it. Though Marvel really needs to launch Marvel Adventures: X-Men also.

Comment from Rob Briscoe
    Time: January 31, 2008, 9:15 am

I’ve gotta be honest, we do a “retro review” on the show where we started with Uncanny 1 and are working our way through X-history *we’re in the 160s now and about to add in New Mutants*. I don’t have much attachment to the original five simply because so many of the first 66 are so unreadable. It’s one of those situations where I want so bad to appreciate and love golden and silver age stuff, but some of it dates so poorly that it becomes unreadable to me.

Comment from Josh
    Time: January 31, 2008, 7:36 pm

Rob, glad to see you’re not just a blind hater. I never expect anyone to enjoy every single comic book I do, but I do expect that their criticisms be legit. Personal taste (which was, basically, your reason for not enjoying XFC as much as you’d like) cannot be argued with, so I totally respect where you are coming from. For me, XFC isn’t my absolute favorite monthly comic (sorry, Jeff, just being honest here! it’s mainly because I’m not as much of a fan of the X-Men as I am other characters), but I do think it’s one of the most important super-hero comics on the shelves today. It remembers that super-heroes can be fun AND intelligent. And like Keith Giffen talked about in his recent column on CBR, it values “consistency” over “continuity”. It values telling good stories over trying to pointless fit seemlessly within older stories, while still paying homage to them. It takes the concept of the X-Men back to basics, but moves it forward. I think it deserves all the accolades we can heap on it.

Time: January 31, 2008, 8:06 pm

By the way Josh, I WILL have your favorite monthly comic coming out later this year, so there’s something to look to! No one has to worry that I take X-Men biases personally, I didn’t create them.

Or DID I…

Comment from Josh
    Time: February 1, 2008, 2:46 am

Oh, you’re gonna be writing a Lizard monthly series?!? Sweet! Just make sure he has purple pants, ok? :P

Hey, sounds like a good idea for a What If?. WHAT IF JEFF PARKER CREATED THE X-MEN?

Time: February 1, 2008, 11:47 am

I hope Josh’s favorite monthly is ‘Agents of Atlas II’. :D

Comment from Josh
    Time: February 1, 2008, 4:09 pm

Hey, I certianly wouldn’t complain about a new AGENTS OF ATLAS series! Bring it on!