• No Country For Old Men

Whew.

Comments

Time: November 16, 2007, 4:26 pm

I know I was going to post part two of the writing talk, but I just saw the Coens movie and I can’t think of anything else. Monday for sure!

Comment from Tim O’Shea
    Time: November 16, 2007, 9:14 pm

Good phew or bad phew?

I love the Coen brothers, but they can’t hit them like Barry Bonds every time–Oh wait, I can’t say that anymore can I?

Comment from Tim O’Shea
    Time: November 16, 2007, 9:15 pm

Darn I meant “whew”. There is no good phew….

Time: November 16, 2007, 9:23 pm

It’s a good whew, a Very Good whew, but a big exhale nonetheless. To say it’s gripping understates it by a lot. I still felt I was in the movie all the way of the walk back to the studio, even though downtown Portland looks nothing like West Texas.

Comment from Chu
    Time: November 17, 2007, 5:26 pm

I really wish I was talented enough to shoot a short as gnarly as just that gas station scene.

Comment from Zack Smith
    Time: November 17, 2007, 6:22 pm

RRRGH, I had a chance to see it, but I got a paying gig to review ENCHANTED instead. I figured money + published clip + my mad love for Amy Adams = Worth Sacrifice.

It was not.

Luckily, there was a big-screen screening of LITTLE SHOP OF HORRORS the following night to wash out the taste.

NO COUNTRY comes out here next week with BEFORE THE DEVIL KNOWS YOU’RE DEAD, so I might have me a Downbeat Thriller Marathon. Anyone seen GONE BABY GONE? I might throw that in as well.

Oh, and I also had to review BEOWULF this week. Damn, that motion capture makes for some Botoxed foreheads. My eyes can’t focus for that digital 3-D. It looked like Count Floyd.

Time: November 18, 2007, 8:21 am

Ha ha, Enchanted.

But hey, Count Floyd? I’m there!

Comment from zailo
    Time: November 18, 2007, 9:20 am

Oooh, scary, children.

Comment from rachelle
    Time: November 18, 2007, 4:51 pm

Wasn’t that the most intense movie ever? It was really incredible. All that tension and no music! I was impressed.

Time: November 18, 2007, 5:06 pm

You know, I also thought there was no music, but then at the end there was Carter Burwell, credited with the score as usual! It must have been very minimal.

Comment from Tim O’Shea
    Time: November 18, 2007, 9:42 pm

This is how minimal Burwell’s music for the Coen Brothers can be sometimes. The soundtrack for Barton Fink (1991) was released as a combined CD with the soundtrack for Fargo (1996).

Comment from Scott Cederlund
    Time: November 19, 2007, 9:52 am

I loved that after the movie cut to black at the end, there was a general murmur in the theater of people asking “what the heck?”

I loved how textured Brolin and Jone’s face were but the two killers had nice, smooth faces. That’s a neat little touch.

Time: November 19, 2007, 10:19 am

Good points.

Comment from Bren
    Time: December 3, 2007, 7:10 pm

You know, I’m still not sure if I liked this movie or not. It was one of those films that you know you’re going to have to watch ten times before you really start to appreciate it. I’ve also described it as “quietly violent,” and then I couldn’t think of any other quietly violent movies to compare it to. Hmm.