• Halloween X

Since Scans Daily has already put the short online, I might as well put up a nice crisp first-generation version of “The Talking Board,” the latest X-Men First Class two-pager by me and Colleen Coover. Because there need to be more Halloweencentric comics this week, and you need to see the colors as they really look. Click it up!

xouija11.jpgxouija21.jpg

Readers may recognize a nod to the orginal incarnation of this blog called “Mystifying Oracle,” now the name of my Newsletter that constantly threatens to one day send you news. The ouija board that was named for is my actual lap drawing board, and what Colleen used for reference.

The next issue begins what is technically a two part main story, but is essentially a three parter that has the teen mutants run into the weirdness of the Man-Thing by issue 8. Too bad that didn’t work out to fall around Halloween. If you have some good ghost stories, think of them by tomorrow so we can have a Haunted Comments section.

Comments

Comment from Kevin Church
    Time: October 29, 2007, 9:51 am

Dawwwww! DAWWWWW! How cute! Also: I love Xavier in the last panel.

Comment from Van
    Time: October 29, 2007, 11:31 am

It’s funny that you posted this today, as I was just reading the new Shazam collection, and Alex Ross’s introduction says modern comics almost routinely ignore the quality that made comics grow as a medium: charm.

Those two pages have charm in spades.

Comment from Matt M.
    Time: October 29, 2007, 12:12 pm

Ironic that Alex Ross of all people would say that.

But really, I’m just here for the Coover love. When are we getting all-Coover issues?

Comment from Bret
    Time: October 29, 2007, 5:38 pm

Professor Xavier, it seems, always was a jerk.

Time: October 30, 2007, 12:27 pm

Well, back in the old days he was always kind of a jerk. Of course, it’s only lately that he’s been turned into a complete … well, in honor of X-Men: First Class I won’t say it. But I am really tired of the demonizing of Xavier. Even with what was established in the 05 days. I just hope Jeff tries to avoid the whole ‘Jerk’ aspects of Xavier for XM:FC. :)

Time: October 30, 2007, 10:24 pm

Scaring the gang with a fake demon is probably the extent of Xavier’s jerkiness… FOR NOW….

Time: October 31, 2007, 6:17 am

Thanks Jeff. It’s a refreshing change. Even if it’s stories from the past. ;)

Pingback from Blog@Newsarama » Head full of tricks & treats
    Time: October 31, 2007, 7:26 am

[...] Over on his blog, Jeff Parker shares a two-page X-Men: First Class story he did with Colleen Coover, featuring the original team and a ouija board. Go check it out. [...]