• Saluting the Chief Designer

sputnik1.jpg

I almost forgot to happy birthday Sputnik I, pinging away fifty years ago over our heads! And then the Russians proved they could euthanize a dog in the most lavish way possible by sending Laika up there. To which our space agency said “We’ll see your dog and raise you… a chimp.” And the space race was begun in full!

This reminds me that I was thinking of re-running the entire Agents of Atlas Web Serial here, which some of you may know had to do with all of this. In fact, I’ll plan to do that pretty soon, since navigating the Marvel Blogs can be dangerous. Dogs in space, coming soon.

Comments

Comment from odessa steps magazine
    Time: October 4, 2007, 3:32 pm

the more atlas the better.

Time: October 5, 2007, 3:47 am

When I first saw that picture of Sputnik, the Tornados’ “Telstar” began to play in the Winamp of my brain. Stupid brain. They’re totally not the same thing.

Happy birthday, Sputnik. Screw you, Telstar.

Comment from Van
    Time: October 5, 2007, 6:38 am

If you haven’t already, the Washington Post had a story about sputnik with just an epic last line, though it takes a bit of reading to get there.

Comment from Ben Herman
    Time: October 5, 2007, 8:38 am

“Dogs in space, coming soon.”

As opposed to… pigs in spaaaaaaaaace!!! Wokka wokka wokka! (I used to watch the Muppet Show when I was a kid.)

Time: October 5, 2007, 9:42 am

Good article, Van, thanks for linking it.

Ben WE ALL watched the muppets.

Comment from jackmarlowe
    Time: October 5, 2007, 2:26 pm

Your serial AOA in mr.lao blog was very interesting and thought: Why not a miniserie comic prequel to AOA? Have you plans for a new series ongoing, spin-off or miniseries?
    The specials of AOA in marvel adventures and Spider-man are very good, the second is the best and a excellent caracteritzation of Spidey: I laught the moment that he say: I´m like the seventh agent.
    And the last question: Do you have another projects comics in Marvel or another company or in the comic indy?.

Time: October 5, 2007, 4:43 pm

When we get our next window of opportunity, we’ll probably pick up where we left off. But if it ever becomes a series, we’ll definitely be revisiting unseen 50′s adventures.
    I’ll be announcing more projects soon, Jackmarlowe! Thanks for asking.

Comment from Bret
    Time: October 6, 2007, 7:34 am

Hey, the U.S. FAILED in the chimp thing.
    Ham lived a long and happy life after being shot into space, failing to decrease the chimp populattion.

Time: October 6, 2007, 7:46 am

Happy, after that initial release from the capsule when he tried to BITE EVERYONE’S FACE OFF. Then they calmed him down with drugs and took some pictures for National Geographic.

But how will we drive down the chimp population now?

Comment from chukw
    Time: October 6, 2007, 8:43 am

Brrrrrr- makes me think about that stale of woe where the guy visiting this beloved chimp had his GOODIES YANKED OFF by other rampaging apes. Oh, and congrats on getting that Promo book, btw! ;)

Comment from Bret
    Time: October 7, 2007, 12:39 pm

If we don’t get rid of the apes now, they’ll take over while our astronauts are in space!

Comment from Ben Herman
    Time: October 7, 2007, 6:31 pm

Yeah, Bret’s right. Just ask Charlton Heston. He’ll tell you how it is.

Comment from Seth
    Time: October 8, 2007, 1:10 pm

I’d love to see the Atlas strips here, since I somehow missed them…