• Ringo

If you’ve been by Newsarama, you’ve already found the horrible news that Mike Wieringo has died. I’m not ready to say anything about it actually, I just wanted to kick down my last stupid post. I don’t know what to say except that I’m going to miss him terribly. I had just gotten a new and excellent page from him yesterday, and I can’t believe this.

Comments

Comment from Brett
    Time: August 13, 2007, 6:25 am

Life has a terrible way of reminding us of our mortality. This sort of loss is always a terrible shock to friends and family but should also serve as a reminder to all of us that we should live the way we really mean to today, tomorrow isn’t guaranteed at all. My thoughts are with Mike’s friends and family today and when I get home from work I will hug my wife and son extra hard.

Comment from Zack Smith
    Time: August 13, 2007, 6:35 am

I’m absolutely stunned. He worked harder than almost any artist I’ve ever seen. The daily pieces on his blog were more detailed than most full pages. More than that, he was a truly kind, professional guy who loved his work and his fans.

He was just a good man, period. I don’t know what to say.

Comment from Chris Sims
    Time: August 13, 2007, 7:11 am

Awful, awful news, and out of nowhere too. I know it’s obvious at this point, but he’ll be missed.

Comment from Patman
    Time: August 13, 2007, 7:11 am

Wow. I just saw him at Heroes Con just a couple of months ago. I’m shocked and saddened by this news. My condolences to his family and friends. Damn, 44 is far too young.

Comment from Bill Williams
    Time: August 13, 2007, 7:43 am

I had to re-read the post a couple of times, just to make sure. This is terrible news and I don’t think I can work today.

Bill

Comment from Chris Ferguson
    Time: August 13, 2007, 8:44 am

What tragic news. I don’t know what to say.
    Parker, I know you guys were close, so I’m sorry for your loss. The few times we had Mike at our conventions, he couldn’t have been nicer. I only wish I had gotten to know him better, as he only lived less than an hour away from me. I don’t know how many times I had the intention of e-mailing Mike to see if he wanted to catch a movie or something. Although I don’t know if he had friends that lived close by, I got the impression that sometimes he felt kind of isolated. I would only consider myself an acquaintence of Mike, but I wished I had taken the initiative to become his friend. Now, sadly, I won’t get the chance.
    My condolences to Mike’s parents, brother Matt, friends, colleagues and to all who have been touched by his artwork. He will be missed.

Chris Ferguson
    Parts Unknown: The Comic Book Store

Comment from Jeff Vice
    Time: August 13, 2007, 8:54 am

Absolutely devastating news, and I never even met Mike. But I heard such great things about him from friends who did. I really loved his work, though (the Spidey/FF mini was definitely one of the high points). And selfishly, I can’t help but think of all the things we’ll never get to see from him … sigh!

Comment from Ben Herman
    Time: August 13, 2007, 9:00 am

I’m sorry to hear about the loss of your friend & colleague. Wieringo was a great artist. I really enjoyed his work on Flash, Tellos, and Fantastic Four. My condolences to his family & friends.

Comment from Christian Leaf
    Time: August 13, 2007, 10:26 am

I was on my way out the door this morning when I got the call from his brother, Matt. I still don’t believe it. Today’s been a blur. I had to leave work at one point and went and bought a bunch of his old Flash issues. I’m very glad I got down to Heroes this year to see him (and meet you as well, Jeff). Mike was always welcoming, genuine and will be sorely missed.

Time: August 13, 2007, 11:52 am

My first thought was “Oh no.” I haven’t really progressed much further past that.

After some time to think: Mike Wieringo was one of my favorite comic book artists. I first encountered his work on my favorite comic book, the one that got me reading them regularly, Robin. He was one of the few artists whose work I’d follow anywhere, regardless of characters or collaborators. I saw him every year at HeroesCon in Charlotte — he was always very nice. When I was a kid, when I was an adult, he always smiled and signed my comic books.

This is a bad day for ‘Ringo’s friends and family, and I don’t mean to demean that in any way by what I’m about to say next, but this is also a terrible day for comic books. Honestly, the medium doesn’t have many artists who look to be taking things in new, bright directions, and as I’ve seen other people say in condolence messages, he seemed to just be pushing his storytelling in ways that show he hadn’t even come close to reaching his prime. You could tell in his blog posts, in conversations, and even just by looking at his art that he loved what he did and that he was always striving to do better at it. My thoughts go to our esteemed host, Matt and the Wieringo family, and to anyone who’s ever read a Mike Wieringo comic book and knows the sadness that we won’t be seeing new art from him in the future.

Comment from patrick hulman
    Time: August 13, 2007, 1:03 pm

i remember seeing him at HeroesCon and thinking i’ll catch him next year… :(

My thoughts go out to his family and friends.

Comment from Mark B
    Time: August 13, 2007, 1:37 pm

Hey Parker!
    So sorry for your loss my friend. Its such a shocker.
    He was an amazing talent and will leave a huge hole in the world.

Best thoughts…

Comment from Jamar Nicholas
    Time: August 13, 2007, 3:42 pm

Hey Parker –

I know you and Ringo went way back, so you have to be hurting. He was one of my closest friends, and I had only known him for a little under 5 years (If that). I’m devastated.

Give me a shout whenever.

Jamar

Comment from Tim O’Shea
    Time: August 13, 2007, 7:02 pm

At HeroesCon, amazingly enough there was a lull in Mike’s line at one point. I could not fathom that. But seeing my opportunity, I walked straight up to Mike and I thanked him for the storytelling fun you and he were providing us with Spidey/FF. I’ll always be thankful that I got that opportunity one last time. I’m sorry for your loss, Jeff.

Comment from Tessa Thornberry
    Time: August 13, 2007, 7:25 pm

Oh my GOD! I can’t believe I’ll never see him again! I kept hoping he’d make it over to this coast for the Comic Con. I should’ve gone back to North Carolina, even if just for a brief visit! Oh, God, I can’t believe it!

Jeff, please let me know if anyone mentions anyplace I can send flowers or anything. I’m not in the loop and don’t know what to do. And I also hope you’re faring alright with this horrible loss, as I know you guys were good friends.

-Tessa

Time: August 13, 2007, 7:56 pm

Thanks everyone, and believe me, I’m sorry for your loss too. Tessa, depending on what the family does for arrangements, I may be able to post that info here. Great hearing all of your thoughts. I’ll be putting up some pictures of Mike later.

Comment from Britt
    Time: August 13, 2007, 9:12 pm

Jeff,

I’m sorry to hear about the loss of your friend and fellow artist. While I didn’t know him personally, the few times that I’ve met him, he was more than kind. If the feelings that I feel for this loss hit this close to home, I can only imagine what the people that mattered in his life are going through right now. Those people will be in my thoughts as I call my wife and kids and tell them how much I love them.

RIP ‘Ringo.

-britt

Comment from tomg
    Time: August 14, 2007, 11:38 am

I’m stunned. I missed the article and this post yesterday. I just can’t believe it. Mike was one of the nicest, kindest guy I have ever met in the comics industry. He was ALWAYS gracious and put up with me pestering him for photocopies to practice coloring on when I would stop by Artamus. He was SO encouraging to my daughter at HeroesCon each year, giving her constructive but kind critiques of her comic work. He truly cared about his fans.
    And his art stands on its own and as a tribute. This is similar and personally worst than the loss of Mike Parobek.
    I will miss him a lot.

Comment from Marc Hodge
    Time: August 14, 2007, 4:49 pm

Like so many who have posted on the web, Mike’s death came as a total shock, and hit me really hard. As far as I can remember, I don’t know if I ever formally met Mike, but came to know him through the stories of others as well as his blog. Going to his blog on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays had become a routine for me. This blog showed me that he was not only a wonderful artist but also revealed the type of person he was. True, you can’t always know a person by the words he writes, but Mike’s words revealed a humble person who far too many times underestimated his own talents.
    My heart and prayers go out to Mike’s family friends and colleagues. May God continue to Bless you all.

Marc