• Giant-Size It

giantsize3.jpg

It’s a good day for a Wednesday comics shop raid. First, the Agents of Atlas are back in GIANT SIZE MARVEL ADVENTURES AVENGERS. And if I can step outside and evaluate my own performance for a change, I think it’s the best Adventures story I’ve ever done. It’s just one of those stories where everything came together better than I hoped. It’s where I discovered that I LOVE KANG. And while you’re on the Marvel books, THE ORDER #1 by Fraction and Kitson is out today too.

levitationsmall.jpg

Today is also a triumphant shipping day for GT Labs with TWO excellent books, and I can say that because I’ve read through both- LEVITATION and WIRE MOTHERS. Both are written by Jim Ottaviani, and Wire Mothers also features the work of my studio mate Dylan Meconis. That will balance out all the fake science we give you with The Avengers. Go! Report back! Hurry!

Comments

Time: July 18, 2007, 11:44 am

MA G-S The Avengers #1 was great, Jeff!!

Here’s hoping that we’ll see more of the Agents of Atlas again at some point.

Speaking of them, where did they get that name back in the 50′s? ;)

Time: July 18, 2007, 11:50 am

Yeah, for MA continuity (such as it is) I just decided that their sub-group of the FBI was called Atlas. Glad you liked it!

Comment from Philip Looney
    Time: July 18, 2007, 1:43 pm

Hey Jeff – MA Avengers was awesome. My shop had a bunch of copies, so hope it sells out.

Also – the wife is really digging The Interman, In our 5 years of marriage, this will be the first comic she has read. She’ll probably be sending you an email telling you what she thought.

Time: July 18, 2007, 1:52 pm

Thanks Philip. I await my email!

Comment from David Oakes
    Time: July 18, 2007, 7:00 pm

Captain America is not an adequate substitute for the tri-iffic 3D-Man. Not by a third.

Time: July 18, 2007, 8:09 pm

Bah. I’m so glad 3D-Man wasn’t in Agents of Atlas or this.

Comment from dusty abell
    Time: July 19, 2007, 10:14 am

ok, i said it before, ken is my favorite “new” marvel character, and knocking logan upside his head at the end was priceless. damn this book is fun! if you ever need a pin-up for it or atlas would you ever consider me, man i love the way you write these guys. i just wish the actual story had filled up the whole book, it moved along at a lightning pace.

Comment from Jeff Vice
    Time: July 19, 2007, 11:31 am

Always been a big Kang fan myself. But this was the best Kang story I’ve read in many a moon … though the “Young Avengers” stuff was great. And glad I’m not the only one who really liked “The Order.” Fraction’s another of those people … besides Slott and yourself … who understand that comics are supposed to be “fun.”

Comment from Jeff Vice
    Time: July 19, 2007, 11:33 am

Oh, and is there any chance you’ll do an “Ultimate Gorilla-Man vs. Wolverine” miniseries? C’mon, we’d all buy it!

Time: July 19, 2007, 11:41 am

Dusty, you should get that toe back into comics (even though it’s not where the money is)! Glad you like the Gorilla Man Dope-slap on Logan.

Vice, thanks for the Kang Love. I’m very Pro-Kang.

Time: July 19, 2007, 3:55 pm

I’d like to say that Gorilla Man had all the best lines, but surely the best belonged to Kang, as he whispers to himself after fixing the railroad bridge. I don’t know why that made me laugh out loud. The second best was Ken’s reaction to his future self. All in all, another home run (inside the park, Ichiro-style).

And let me second the appeal for more Dusty Abell in comics! I was just re-reading the adventures of centaur Superman and Wonder-Lois the other day….

Comment from Brian M.
    Time: July 19, 2007, 4:46 pm

Jeff,

Great job on the annual. Time travel stories, especially the ones involving Kang, usually make my head hurt, but this one not only was easy on the old brain, but it gave me more than a few chuckles as well.

Looking forward to more Agents.

Comment from odessasteps
    Time: July 19, 2007, 5:26 pm

“I’m very Pro-Kang.”

that’s too bad. I voted for Kodos.

Time: July 19, 2007, 6:29 pm

Hey Jeff…

Any reason why Marvel chose those two reprints for the book?

Seems to me, the What If? that the Agents of Atlas were based on would make more sense.

Comment from Zack Smith
    Time: July 20, 2007, 6:30 pm

For some reason, my favorite line belonged to Giant Girl:

“Mine won!”

It made me smile.

Comment from Ben Herman
    Time: July 23, 2007, 7:37 am

I really enjoyed the bit when Kang is doing his mock sympathy and crocodile tears routine saying “Alas, the Agents of Atlas were swallowed by a black hole, sad times indeed.” The expressions on his face were priceless. It *really* reminded me of that scene in Return of the Jedi where the Emperor mockingly tells Luke “Oh, I’m afraid the deflector shield will be quite operational when your friends arrive.” Which is a good thing, of course. I’m sure you don’t mind comparisons to the Star Wars films, just so long as they don’t involve Ewoks or Gungans :)

Time: July 23, 2007, 9:06 am

That’s my favorite part too. I couldn’t stop looking at that image of Kang after Leonard sent in the pages. He really nailed it and gave him a personality.

And yes, I will stand by your Star Wars rules as stated!

Comment from Tim O’Shea
    Time: July 23, 2007, 8:06 pm

Ken and Logan–the Hope and Crosby of Parker’s Marvel Universe.
    Great stuff, Jeff.