• Yay Done: Sunday and Beyond

Sunday was a pretty chilled day for the convention, but it was far from dead, like back in the dark times. There were still plenty of people making the rounds, and since I was done with my commissions I could wander the room to see other folks and dig through longboxes. I found some old Dennis the Menaces drawn by Al Wiseman. I picked up the hardcover of The Bakers by Kyle Baker and talked with him for a bit. Got one of Sanford Greene’s latest convention books that was just full of terrific designs. When I wasn’t out on the floor, I kept poring through the Atlas pages that Kris Justice brought, trying to figure out which I was going to get. That was tough, because really I want them all. Kris told me of how he left a friend to watch his pages at the New York show earlier in the year, and his friend sold three pages for about the price of ONE. The burner of that is that one of the pages was the one with the Human Robot running and holding up Gorilla Man firing four machine guns, which is one of the pages everybody wants. I just hope who ever got it was a real fan of the series and not an eBay flipper. Finally I picked out two for myself, but it was a tough decision.

That night most guests still in town were shuttled or drove to the Philosopher’s Stone, the bar right across the street from the Heroes store. I sat down with Mike Wieringo, Craig Rousseau, Todd DeZago and the living legend Nick Cardy, who can’t not tell a good story. Craig and I foolishly bit into the chicken strips with Insane Hot Sauce and regretted it. I’ve long hated the trend for places to keep outdoing each other with the most infernal hot sauce like hot = good. Don’t buy into it, kids!

Most everyone crossed the street to hang out at the comics shop for a while. Andy Kuhn called me over to look at The Ancient Book of Myth and War from AdHouse, which has lots of beautiful pieces from four of the Pixar artists. Which somehow I didn’t notice when talking to Chris Pitzer the day before. We were oohing over the Lou Romano pages especially, and his name had actually come up several times during the weekend in other conversations. He good.

Back over at the bar I parked the rest of the night at the table with Barry Kitson and Matt Fraction. While we were praising the qualities of Brian Bolland, Barry cleared up that incident recently with the sketch that the unhappy blogger had which led to a threat from a lawyer. Apparently that was an overzealous fan going much farther than Brian had intended. Which led us to talk about the dangers of having supporters who go around ‘championing’ you, ie; fouling your reputation. Matt and Barry discussed their plans for The Order (which I think Marvel should have compromised on the name and folksied it to The Champeens). There as at the show, was Rosario Dawson walking around with a constant entourage of guys trying to look like it’s perfectly natural for them to hanging with Rosario.

Now it’s Monday and I’m still at the hotel, working for a few hours until it’s time to go to the airport. I mightily resisted joining Fraction, Remender and Tony Moore on their excursion to Carowinds to ride rolly coasters all day. It’s hot out finally, so I predict it will be Log Flume ride after Log Flume ride. Hopefully I can squeeze in a Bojangles visit on the way to Charlotte/Douglas airport. As always, Heroes is one of the shiniest jewels in the comics convention crown, and I hope I can get back here next year too.

Comments

Comment from Philip Looney
    Time: June 18, 2007, 10:36 am

You just can’t find good BoBerry Biscuits on the west coast.

Nice meeting you this weekend Jeff! I’ll make sure to let you know how my wife enjoys the Interman.

Time: June 18, 2007, 11:01 am

No, no you can’t! Good to see you too, Philip.

I neglected to mention that I picked up the two ROCKETO volumes, which look gorgeous.

Comment from Matt M.
    Time: June 18, 2007, 11:40 am

But how do folks in NC feel about cowboys and werewolves? Is there enough interest to justify a trip out? Sounds pretty irresistable after your reports.

Comment from Zack Smith
    Time: June 18, 2007, 12:07 pm

How the smeg could they have the energy to go party at Carowinds? I’ve spent most of my post-con recovery day laid up in bed with a bowl of chicken soup and a six-pack of bottled water. When I finally got dressed, it was two hours before I realized my shorts were on inside-out. Ugh.

Oh, and double-damn you for telling me about those onion biscuits! I had me that buffet on Sunday, and my arteries are still hardening. I got me a picture for posterity: http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m92/ZackSmith8/IMG_0786.jpg

Good seeing you as always! Nice Agents and Edgar pieces you did me. That last sentence was not right gramatically.

Comment from Serge Ladd
    Time: June 18, 2007, 1:07 pm

Jeff-

It was great to meet you Friday and again on Sunday. I hope the bags of candy helped out both days! I too hope you return to the show next year. We’re stuck down in South Carolina, born and raised in Oregon. Heroes Con is the best thing about the East Coast! ;) Speaking of Things…. thanks for the sketch! It’s posted in the gallery at comicartfans: http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryRoom.asp?GSub=42496

Thanks again for the great writing, and I look forward to your next project!

Serge

Time: June 18, 2007, 1:50 pm

It was a pleasure meeting our esteemed host. But despite his niceness, he’s not the nicest man in comic books. I think that honor has to go to the extremely polite Kris Justice. Thanks for the art and the autographs! I’ll try and work up a mini-con report later tonight, including a funny picture of Matt Fraction.

Comment from tomg
    Time: June 18, 2007, 3:05 pm

Hey Jeff,
    Sorry I missed you again. Father’s Day stuff.
    I hope you got your Boj. Had mine Sunday morning.
    Email me. I have a question for you.
    tomg

Comment from Tim O’Shea
    Time: June 18, 2007, 5:47 pm

“Which led us to talk about the dangers of having supporters who go around ‘championing’ you, ie; fouling your reputation.”

OK, in retrospect, when I bragged about you to people walking by the booth and screamed: “You best not ignore Mr. Parker!” I was getting fairly foul…my bad. :)

Seriously, it was great to attend the con and see friendly creators like yourself.

Comment from Mafus
    Time: June 18, 2007, 7:08 pm

Hey, Jeff. Wanted to thank you again for signing my INTERMAN and for drawing the sketch of Van to boot. Folks, Parker somehow managed hold two concurrent conversations while drawing the headshot on the inside cover without even looking. Now that’s multitasking.

As for Rosario, it was weird how I kept bumping into her. I decided to take the stairs to avoid the post-con elevator crush on Friday and we ended up face to face in the stairwell. Then I ended up holding the door for her on Saturday. She said, “Thanks.” I said “You betcha.” She was totally into me. I can tell.

Comment from John Popa
    Time: June 18, 2007, 7:16 pm

Thanks for the Red Skull sketch, Jeff — always great to chat with you for a bit!

Time: June 18, 2007, 11:05 pm

Yeah onion biscuits!

Serge, that personal army of yours is mighty impressive.

Eric is right, Kris is MUCH nicer than me.

Mafus is right, Rosario was all over his junk.

Popa is right, it is great to chat with me. Hey, send me a ‘peg of that Red Skull please!