• Go to Ringo

In case you haven’t already been by there today, Mike Wieringo has his new website rolling. He got the Gettis treatment like I’ve enjoyed here, and is kickin’ it WordPress style. And we can finally link directly to posts!

In unrelated complaints, if I find one more concrete footing for something buried in my backyard, I’m going to annihilate the universe. I have had it with digging up and busting these things, my yard was like half cement. And if anyone has great tips for making grass seed grow, I have a comments section just like Mike’s.

Comments

Comment from Brett
    Time: June 4, 2007, 9:46 am

Hey they had to put Jimmy Hoffa somewhere, your yard was as good as the Giant’s endzone.

Comment from Rob
    Time: June 4, 2007, 9:56 am

Hey Jeff,

I think it’s hilarious that you found concrete in your back yard. The same thing happened to us, but in our yard they aren’t concrete footings, the previous owner just kept burying bags of concrete. We even found a few that still had a partial bag intact. As for tips for planting grass seed…do it in the fall. We planted three different spots. The spot we planted in the spring (two years ago) is a little brown and not doing so great. The two spots we planted in the fall have very few weeds and is super green and looks great. Just my opinion. We can talk more about planting grass, if you want…I’ve done it often enough I can probably give you some tips….

Comment from Sandy Jarrell
    Time: June 4, 2007, 10:49 am

What, you want to mow? I wanna know how to make the growth stop! What’s your secret, Parker?

Time: June 4, 2007, 10:50 am

What in Grodd’s name was that guy burying bags of concrete for?

And yeah, Fall is probably going to be the key time as you say. My kids are tired of playing in dirt!

Comment from Chris Ferguson
    Time: June 4, 2007, 11:50 am

Well it’s a good thing you’re not still in North Carolina, because you wouldn’t have great luck with grass here, either. It’s going to be in the upper 80s-90s all week. But you should definitely seed in the fall (and it wouldn’t hurt to cover with straw/hay to protect the seed from heat/birds).

Comment from Mafus
    Time: June 4, 2007, 5:00 pm

At my previous castle, crazy things kept coming up out of the ground for years after we bought the place. Bottles, cinder blocks and, once, an entire bedframe. As for the grass, growing that stuff is like turning lead into gold. You’ll need a special stone for that. Or you could just call ChemLawn, like I did.

Comment from Lieber
    Time: June 4, 2007, 6:48 pm

I recommed doing what they used to do in Pittsburgh, and replacing the soil with a mixture of animal feces, ground glass and rusty metal shards. A healthy variety of weeeds and crabgrass will quickly take root, providing sprightly, mangy little patches of green amidst the greys and browns of the “earth.”

Comment from Lieber
    Time: June 4, 2007, 6:50 pm

“Weeeds,” I should note, are extra-tough to kill.

Time: June 4, 2007, 7:33 pm

Speaking of ground glass I was walking through some good old already-brown-because-of-no-rain North Carolina grass yesterday and it was crackling like safety glass. How sad.

Time: June 4, 2007, 7:58 pm

Mafus, I gotta link you!

Lieber, I think we even have some weeeEds!

Eric, may I use that description?

Comment from Dana
    Time: June 5, 2007, 11:37 am

Consider sod or artificial grass. Who has the time or patience for, you know, nature? (We’re using “YourTurf” around our kid’s jungle jim — it takes a beating better than the natural stuff.)

Time: June 5, 2007, 12:02 pm

I am so close to getting a giant roll of sod it ain’t funny! Ah, instant results.

Time: June 5, 2007, 7:50 pm

Consider permission granted.

Comment from Brian M.
    Time: June 6, 2007, 3:41 am

Put in an artificial putting green. Your kids will love it and you’ll be the envy of all the guys in the neighborhood.