• Parent Sees Another Movie!

That’s right, I got to sneak out to the movin’ pictures and see another feature, and it was great. No time to review, but I assure you, I will purchase a copy of HOT FUZZ.

hot-fuzz2jpg.jpg

Comments

Time: May 29, 2007, 5:20 pm

Yar. It’s no Shaun of the Dead. But it was pretty darn good. :)

Comment from Zack
    Time: May 29, 2007, 5:50 pm

By the Power of Grayskull! Sounds like you really enjoyed that movie!

Time: May 29, 2007, 8:21 pm

Yarp!

Comment from Chuck Harrell
    Time: May 30, 2007, 12:19 pm

Good flick, enjoyable, some hilarious bits. I think it could have been much better if they had focused a bit more – is it an action spoof or not? Points had me feeling like it was too straight in places. Other than that, high hilarity.

Comment from Jim Treacher
    Time: May 30, 2007, 10:17 pm

“is it an action spoof or not?”

Time: May 31, 2007, 4:41 am

Yeah, it’s a spoof that still manages to play it straight, which is my favorite approach. Like Galaxy Quest.

Time: May 31, 2007, 8:21 am

Galaxy Quest is classic good fun, and vastly underrated.

This movie didn’t come within a hundred miles of me, so I went to see POTC3:WE yesterday and man was I disappointed.

Comment from Chuck Harrell
    Time: May 31, 2007, 9:43 am

Well, the problem with spoofing the genre is that it can either fall too close to just being an action flick with more funny bits than usual or it can be a real spoof. This borders so close on not being a spoof that I wonder if those who did not see Shaun of the Dead (or are not aware of it) would see it as just a “funny” action flick. (I was actually aware the intent was for it to spoof action flicks, the question was really a rhetorical one, poorly phrased, obviously, but hey, I asked, so I’m deserving of the response).

Saw Casino Royale recently, and that had lots of funny bits, but I didn’t have to wonder if it was an action flick or not (with or without the iconic characters in the film). I probably laughed as much in Casino Royale as I did in Hot Fuzz. But I digress.

Time: May 31, 2007, 10:23 am

I got a few chuckles during Casino Royale myself! I do think this approach is better than an outright spoof though. You only get a few Mel Brooks (pre-76) or Zuckers, and mostly a lot of junk.

Eric, I feel your Pirate Pain. No one seemed happy with that one.

Time: May 31, 2007, 10:25 am

Ooh- case in point back at Harrell again- one of your favorite movies walks the spoof line the same as Hot Fuzz and Shaun- EVIL DEAD II. It’s not a total send-up.

Time: May 31, 2007, 12:12 pm

Were there not also parts of Shaun of the Dead that played it straight? It’s been a while since I’ve seen it, but I remember thinking that one part that played it TOO straight was the death of his mother. The zombie Bill Nighy (who brings me joy whenever I encounter him in a movie — even buried under 10 tons of CGI in Pirates) I could take, especially because there was a great punchline right afterwards. But the scene with the mother was a little too much for me, and it happened too close to the end, I think, for me to forget about it and get back to laughing.