• xducks.jpg

“Wha–!? Cerebro never computed the lovability of baby ducks! That’s not what Cerebro is for! Once again, Parker blatantly disregards irrefutable mutant history.”
    - Some Fanboy, Somewhere

Okay, I’ve seen nothing like that, but I’ve seen lots of good reviews of the X-Men First Class Special, which is great because I want to work with these artists again. If you enjoyed those shorts Colleen Coover drew and have a moment, please drop Marvel a line and let them know you’d like more so i can write them.

Comments

Comment from Michael May
    Time: May 17, 2007, 5:59 am

As I was buying this yesterday at the Source Comics and Games in lovely Saint Paul, Minnesota, Nick Post and I started talking about you and FallCon and our mutual desire to get you back here this year as a guest. Would you mind shooting me an email (michaelmay@michaelmay.us) to talk about it?

Haven’t read the First Class Special yet, but now I’m aching to. That Professor X panel may be the greatest one in the history of comics.

Time: May 17, 2007, 7:18 am

Is it in October again? That might be do-able, Michael. I’ll email you soon.

Time: May 17, 2007, 8:16 am

The special was great, Jeff. It was nice to have a Beast/Iceman team-up story.
    Their friendship was one of the things that is sadly missing in today’s comics.

The best story of the bunch was “A Girl and Her Dragon” though. It was nice to see Scott and Kitty just having a talk and him telling her the tale. I’d like to see that sort of concept used as a basis for further issues. Maybe each one of the remaining O5 characters telling a relevant tale to one of the younger team members.

I hope that it sells well. I’d love to see a FC Special at least once a year during your run. :)

Comment from dusty abell
    Time: May 17, 2007, 9:08 am

LOVED IT! nowlans hank and bobby were classic and i dug the upbeat ending! smiths turn was unlike anything i’ve seen him do before but damn , even his simplified style is lightyears ahead of almost everyone else in comics putting 100 times as many unnesessary lines down on a page. lockeed is his character and no ones ever pulled him off like paul. dragon man and the dolphins was priceless. i had never seen dragotta’s work before but the combination of him and the allreds was inspired. loved the giant xavier heads at the end, particularly the one hovering above the door to the club looking straight down!!! the one page humor gags were totally reminiscent of the old marie severin cartoons from back in marvels heyday!!! great work all around.

Time: May 17, 2007, 11:33 am

Thanks guys! Yeah, I’m now very pro-Specials.

Comment from Michael May
    Time: May 17, 2007, 11:37 am

Yeah, it’ll be in October again. Usually the first weekend. I’ll look forward to your email!

Time: May 17, 2007, 12:48 pm

The X-Men: First Class HC (APR072364D, $24.99, FOC 05/17/07) is increasing in size from 184 to 192 pages. There is no price change.

Hey Jeff, I just saw that the page count for the OHC of X-Men: First Class has been increased. Are we getting some good extras? And I’m somewhat surprised the Special isn’t being included. Since it will be weird to include it in future volumes.

Time: May 17, 2007, 1:31 pm

Hmm. I don’t know what that means, Beast. Maybe they’re snagging something out of the special? I’d call to ask, but then I’ll just hear lot of J. Jonah Jamesoning yelling “Parker! Where’s my scripts!?!”

Time: May 17, 2007, 1:46 pm

They could be including the new Handbook pages I guess. :)

So….. any teases of upcoming issues for us?

Is it wrong that I’d love to see a whacky time travel adventure where the X-Men: First Class meet their future/adult selves. We can always have it as Xavier wiping their memories of the encounter to ensure there’s no danger of changing history. :)

Time: May 17, 2007, 1:58 pm

More… Since it’s time travel, you can always set it before Jean’s death. And have it be the future Professor X that wipes their minds before their sent back, to ensure that they don’t muck up history along the way. Dammit, now I want to see it. Jeff… you can have all rights to the idea. Just make it a reality. :D

Time: May 17, 2007, 2:14 pm

Beast, stop plotting out loud! You may come across something I’m planning to do and then I’ll second-guess myself because I’m afraid it’s predictable. You’re on notice!

Time: May 17, 2007, 2:32 pm

Sorry Boss. :(

I’m just so hyped for the book… and there’s so much potential for fun stories.

Time: May 17, 2007, 2:42 pm

It’ll be a while, but there will something not unlike what you were talking about. But I’m not saying! You’re still on notice, whatever that is!

Comment from Seb
    Time: May 18, 2007, 2:57 am

Dear Mr Parker,
    Thank you for X-men first class, Agents of Atlas, Goom got game, Not so beautiful mind, Shortcut, Ego the loving planet, the Street…
    I really love your stuff. I like your fun and well written stories.
    Keep the good work on
    PS: special congratulations to Ms Coover
    Seb

Time: May 18, 2007, 6:32 am

Thanks for reading them! You remembered Goom.

Comment from Rob Barrett
    Time: May 18, 2007, 7:10 am

Goom is in the hizzouse!

Comment from Philip Looney
    Time: May 18, 2007, 10:21 am

Hey Jeff – Where/who should we write to at Marvel to get more Park/Coover X-Men action?

Comment from Colleen Coover
    Time: May 18, 2007, 2:56 pm

I wanna give Dusty a big ol’ hug for comparing the strips to Marie Serverin’s work!!! And thank you for the congratulations, Seb.

Time: May 20, 2007, 10:36 pm

Just had a minute to read this one today. Fabulous stuff. Great writing — my favorite part about X:FC is the near-seamless blending of retro-60s early X-Men stuff with the modern day. For instance, when Warren breaks out the cellphone at a Go-Go coffee shop where a beatnik is reciting poetry.

The art was spectacular too. I’ve been on the record here as saying Cruz’s work on the regular book surprised and delighted me after I wasn’t as enthusiastic about earlier things he’d done. I want to say that I missed him this issue, but just barely! Because you’ve got the cream of the crop — Nowlan, Smith and Allred — working alongside some folks whose stuff I’m not familiar with but want to be in the future — Dragotta and Coover (hello!).

All in all, a great job by everyone involved. I’m looking forward to the regular series.

Time: May 20, 2007, 11:35 pm

Thanks Eric, on behalf of everyone.