• A Giant Origin

giantjan.jpg

I can’t wait for everyone to see Marvel Adventures-The Avengers tomorrow. It’s the beginning of an arc with Leonard Kirk drawing, and Val Staples from X-Men First Class is coloring. These guys go together like, like… Leonard Kirk and Val Staples. I can’t think of anything that works better. Add to that it’s a story I’ve been wanting to do for a while explaining my take on Janet Van Dyne becoming Giant-Girl. AND we finally get to change that costume I’ve never been happy with, and other artists and readers have voiced discontent on the matter as well. And did I mention Ant-Man was in it too?

Comments

Comment from patrick hulman
    Time: May 15, 2007, 1:48 pm

does ant-man has wings like wasp did?

Time: May 15, 2007, 4:10 pm

Haw. He’s kind of a throwback to the very early Ant-Man.

Comment from Seth
    Time: May 16, 2007, 8:07 am

Do you have *any* idea how hard you make waiting-for-the-trade? Clearly Peter isn’t the only Parker fighting mean these days… I cracked for the Spidey/FF mini though, which is just lovely (but I’m sure you knew that).

Comment from Andy Thom
    Time: May 16, 2007, 2:24 pm

Hey pal, remember me? A friend of mine I work with is a huge fan of yours and told me that I MUST read “Agents”. I did and it was amazing. I told him you were an incredible artist also and he had no idea. I guess he did some research on you and sent me the link to this site. I’m now a huge Jeff Parker fan and I’ll be eagerly awaiting your next project. Take care bro. Drop me a line sometime.

Time: May 16, 2007, 3:05 pm

Holy Dang, Andy Thom! (For those of you who don’t work in animation, this is Director/Storboard King Andy Thom, whom I worked with at Sony Animation.) Thanks for reading ATLAS, Andy. What are you up to lately? Are you still running a dojo as well?

Comment from Andy Thom
    Time: May 17, 2007, 11:22 am

Nope, closed the school. Been working in NY on a bunch of different shows. For the past year I’ve been supervising director on Disney’s Little Einsteins. If you’re ever in NY and you need a place to stay or just want to hang don’t hesitate to call.

Comment from Brian Mulcahy
    Time: May 17, 2007, 4:23 pm

Jeff,

I love Marvel Adentures and cannot believe the stuff they let you throw in there. It’s like the old Bugs Bunny cartoons with something for both the adults and the kids. As for the art, I’m a big Leonard Kirk fan and I’m hoping the two of you will have a long run on this book.

Time: May 17, 2007, 5:11 pm

I’m always surprised what they’ll let me put in too, Brian.

Comment from Ben Herman
    Time: May 18, 2007, 8:36 am

How old is Giant Girl? For the first few issues, I thought she was a teenager. Actually, since her real name wasn’t given, I guessed she might be Cassie Lang, since Giant Girl has similar powers & costume to Stature in Young Avengers. Then a few issues back Giant Girl was suddenly referred to as “Janet,” and I realized it was actually Janet Van Dyne, who as far bback as I recall was always written to be in her 20s. So, how old is the Janet in Marvel Adventures?

Oh, yeah, great issue, by the way. Once again, Hulk got some of the best lines!

Time: May 18, 2007, 8:58 am

Ben, I always think of her as about 21 in our book, and around 30 or so in the non Adventures books. But I’m not the age authority!

Comment from henri yim
    Time: May 18, 2007, 11:15 am

Just got this issue (along with the AoA hardcover, sweetness) and have to applaud how fun it was. You weren’t lying when you praised the Kirk / Staples duo, the art and colors have a quality not found in other books, some slick innocence that works well with Avengers Adventures, far from the blockbuster-movie look au gout du jour.
    Also I enjoyed how you made Pym FUNNY. I read somewhere that scientists are so dedicated to solving practical problems they couldn’t see the far-reaching applications of their discoveries : A guy yells Eureka ! I just invented a device to move mountains, it will be great for mining ! Oh and the politicians and military generals just stare at him.
    Playing this on Pym and the pym particles/ant man usefuleness was great and brought smiles aplenty. Also, it’s nice for one to see Pym not as a creep, like I remember him.

While I wait for a ongoing AoA, Marvel Adventures-Avengers it is. The only other comic I can think of bringing fun (the spulp-sizzling kind) back into comics is Invincible and Ant-Man.
    Keep up the good work, for as long as possible :)

Time: May 18, 2007, 12:06 pm

Thanks Henri. Yeah, I couldn’t resist playing up the the weirdness of Pym wanting to communicate with ants. And of course Spider-Man’s fascination with the name “Pym”.

Comment from Ben Herman
    Time: May 19, 2007, 3:18 pm

By the way, I like Giant Girl’s new costume. Who designed it? Definitely looking forward to future issues. This is such a fun series.

Comment from Sandy Jarrell
    Time: May 20, 2007, 8:21 am

I’m a girl?

Comment from Chris Burnham
    Time: May 22, 2007, 3:34 pm

Yow! Finally tracked down the Ego issue! My store doesn’t seem to order more than one copy of this book, and everyone else shelves it next to Peanuts and The Simpsons, which makes it a bit tough to find. How come “all-ages” conotes as “for kids?”

Anyhow, one of the best Avengers stories ever, and I’ll be sure to add it to my pull list in the future! I think they should drop the “Marvel Adventures” prefix and add in “Mother-Lovin’.”

Time: May 22, 2007, 4:25 pm

Thanks Chris. Hmm… Mother Lovin’ Avengers….