• Hooks and Mice

I planned to promote my Free Comic Book Day appearance in this post, but all I can think about at the moment is these mice in my house. I’ve already caught around seven, but now they’re getting brazen and just running across the floor in the daytime too. I hear it’s going on all over my neighborhood, so something big must have gone down in the mouse community a while back. Now don’t get me wrong, I LOVE cleaning up mouse poo and finding artwork chewed on, but hey. I guess now they don’t smell cat pee all the time, so full steam ahead.

In other bizarre home news, Jill and I went to a Thai restaurant last night and while eating her garlic prawn she exclaimed, “ow.” And pulled a fish hook out of her mouth. It was a really sharp little hook too, with just a bit of string on it. The restaurant took that off our bill (some would charge you extra for the hook) and I just puzzled trying to figure how this hook got inside the prawn- which was big, but still. Aren’t they caught in cages? Would there have been bait on a hook in the cage?

Comments

Comment from Brett
    Time: April 30, 2007, 9:44 am

When we had mice in a place I lived in a billion years ago we tried the nice mice traps first, the catch them and let them go ones. We caught nothing with them so we moved on to the glue traps. The glue traps were great, but often a bit disturbing in the morning as the mice would be trying pretty hard to get away and often ended up glued into fairly gruesome little positions. That said, they were darned effective and put an end to our nightly mouse tap dancing routines.

Time: April 30, 2007, 10:21 am

At first I got a batch of the ENFORCER wood plank traps that sucked because they were too hard to set off no matter how you tried to make the metal piece sit. Mice would just dine off it and leave, nice and full. Then I got the VICTOR version, which looks clunkier, but works just right. And then moved on to the plastic Victor traps, which set just by clicking them open, and you can release said mouse body without having to pry it from the jaws of death.

Time: April 30, 2007, 12:03 pm

Any construction in the area? That’s when we always got weird animals in the house. Could be worse. Could be blacksnakes curled underneath the sink (although that would take care of the mouse problem), or raccoons crawling under your house to die (and stink up the place).

Comment from Dave
    Time: April 30, 2007, 4:04 pm

Holy shit, on both accounts. Jeez I hope she’s all right. That’s crazy.

Comment from David Oakes
    Time: April 30, 2007, 9:40 pm

Prawn are carrion feeders, so the hook probably got inside it the same way it got into Jill, it ate something with a hook in it. Food chain in action.

Comment from Tom Spurgeon
    Time: May 1, 2007, 3:39 am

Eric is dead-on that construction is a frequent cause of an upswing in mice in the house. When you go from one mouse to an army of mice, supposedly that can be because the first mouse killed either by you or an outside animal was the parent/food gatherer and the young ones suddenly have to fend for themselves. At least that’s what I was told in 1994: The Winter of the Brazen Mice.

Glue traps are effective when you get to the point of the mice being out and running around. Although the process is gruesome. I hate mieces to pieces.

Time: May 1, 2007, 6:39 am

Brazen Mice should be the title of something. I really didn’t want to use the glue traps, but ya gotta do what ya gotta do. I saw that that Home Depot sells an ELECTRIC trap, which seems like they want to foster junior executioners.
    David, now that you mention the carrion aspect, that reminds me that prawn as bottom feeders probably have high mercury levels and should be avoided anyway.

Time: May 1, 2007, 2:42 pm

Also, do the mice have little capes and swords? Or do they have telekinetic powers and talk about NIMH all the time? Or did they make you a kind of crappy looking dress for your birthday because your stepfamily refuses to let you go to the prince’s ball?
    Because if you’re just dealing with normal mice, you should be thankful.

Time: May 1, 2007, 2:59 pm

Hey, that was the most beautiful dress Cinderella had EVER SEEN! Of course, then the Fairy G whips up that Edith Head number and ‘rella’s all like “Eat it, Stepwhores!”

Comment from Dom
    Time: May 2, 2007, 2:43 am

I’m sure you are still feeling blue over the loss of your last pet, but the answer to your mouse problem is to get another cat.

All the various traps and poisons in the world are no match for a good kitty! As soon as the mice smell em they head for the hills.

Time: May 2, 2007, 6:01 am

It’s true, cats are the only thing capable of stopping such onslaught. That, and perhaps some Irish guy playing a pipe- who by the way, YOU BETTER PAY after he deals with your mouse problem.