• Nothing Today

I feel my role here is to provide distractions from the real world, but as I’m sure it is with a lot of you, I can’t think of anything else but that Virginia Tech massacre today. Just awful, and I wish the best for the recovering victims.

Comments

Comment from DrObviousSo
    Time: April 17, 2007, 9:49 am

You could pontificate on your opinions on gun control to people who don’t want to hear it from a comic book creator, and then blame us for not wanting to hear it.

Oh wait, you don’t work for Wildstorm. Never mind, that’s a horrible idea! ;D

Time: April 17, 2007, 11:29 am

Maybe lots of gunpowder sniffing dogs could be assigned to dorms. Though I hate the idea of “sweeps” of student housing, something specific to weaponry would be less egregious. But I know, it’s largely an illusion of control, which randomness thwarts easily.

Comment from DrObviousSo
    Time: April 17, 2007, 11:38 am

I don’t think there’s a whole lot that can be done about it, other than having a planned response ahead of time. I go to CWRU, and the day after I sent in my grad application, there was a shooting on campus. Consensus around here is that there’s nothing you can do to prevent it, because they are so random and infrequent.

Doesn’t make it suck any less when they happen, though.

Time: April 17, 2007, 12:37 pm

You could explain this…

GIANT-SIZE MARVEL ADVENTURES THE AVENGERS #1
    Written by Jeff Parker
    Pencils and Cover by Leonard Kirk
    Remember your history–The Avengers didn’t thaw out Captain America, and Kang the Conqueror became Master of the World throughout all time. To make a brighter future, our heroes have to go to the 1950′s and enlist the help of The Agents of ATLAS! Plus extras!
    48 PGS./All Ages …$3.99

Comment from Tom Spurgeon
    Time: April 17, 2007, 12:50 pm

I went to school in Virginia up the road from Blacksburg, and we were allowed to keep guns in our dorm rooms. We were supposed to check in with security and let them know we had a gun, but having a gun was no problem. After we were out of the dorms, that was our own business.

No beer, though.

Time: April 17, 2007, 1:23 pm

What about …’shine, Tom?

Beast, they’re putting the What If story in that and some other stuff (maybe an old school prose story too!) and making it a GIANT. So there.

Time: April 17, 2007, 5:40 pm

Cool. Yeah, just trying to get people’s mind off what happened. :(

Comment from Brian
    Time: April 18, 2007, 3:29 am

An unthinkable tragedy. My heart goes out to the friends and families who have lost loved ones.

There have been a few mentions here about gun control – glad to hear that the school that allowed guns in the dorms at least did not allow alcohol – but from what I’ve just read, I think when more comes out about Cho Seung-Hui, the bigger emphasis will be on identifying and addressing mental health issues on campus.

Over on AOL, an AOL employee who went to VT – a close friend of his was killed – and was in a playwriting class with Cho has posted a couple of his plays. Disturbing stuff. Hind-sight is always 20-20, I just hope that this leads to colleges and high schools implementing better systems for addressing students like Cho who clearly had serious issues.