• Kid Art

I have no art to show at the moment, but luckily I have little Parkers who crank out a metric ton of it every day. Allie tends to draw or paint girls and pays special attention to their teeth. She’s actually started drawing lines around the eyes on some pieces, but those are on paper too big for my home scanner. For someone about to turn 4, I think they’re brilliant, but I’m not a fair judge.

allie-1.jpg

allie-2.jpg

And Stephen likes to draw too. No people yet, but hey, he’s only two.

stephen-1.jpg

stephen-2.jpg

Off to the weekend with you.

Comments

Comment from Jeremy Colwell
    Time: April 13, 2007, 11:59 am

Picasso ain’t got nutthin’ on your two.

Time: April 13, 2007, 1:04 pm

Plus he’s dead, the old coot.

Comment from David Oakes
    Time: April 13, 2007, 6:04 pm

You just keep writing Dad. They’ll put out Interman II for you.

Comment from lpmiller
    Time: April 14, 2007, 4:53 am

it always amazes me the sense of color and style children as young as 2 have, that so many seem to lose when they get older. It’s like we have this innate talent for art that slowly gets replaced over time, depending on which direction our brain wants to go as it changes. I have art my daughter did at 2 that is beautiful, but now at 10 she draws just as badly as I do. I wonder if it’s just the fact that toddlers don’t really try to fit the image to the world, they just draw. Or their image of the world is that much more fluid.

Time: April 14, 2007, 9:17 am

Was your two-year-old a child genius fan of Kurt Vonnegut by any chance? The first of his two drawings stood out for me as a potential Vonnegut memorial.

Think I’m blowing steam without merit? Compare this self-portrait of Vonnegut to a computer-enhanced version of Stephen’s doodle.

Not the similarities: the bushy eyebrow, the tear posed to fall from the eye, the oversized nose, the unusual mustache that seems to protrude from the nostril, the weak bottom jaw…I think your kid is pulling a fast one on you.

Or, I’ve been reading too much lit theory and I’m starting to over-interpret everything I see.

Time: April 14, 2007, 12:02 pm

Man, I should stop reading Slaughterhouse 5 to them at bedtime!

Actually, I’m a little surprised that I didn’t see a profile in that piece, given my tendency to find a face in everything, Understanding Comics-style. Except for those damn illusion/hidden picture things from the early 90′s where I never saw a single one, and I think they were a massive hoax.